Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Uptown Funk - My No Deodorant Experiment

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• This conversation has been very encouraging and informative. Thank you all.

Sometimes I feel like we’ve gotten too far from nature and I can’t quite figure out why. How did deodorant and antiperspirant become such an important part of hygiene?

jns, your input has me over here with flashbacks. I can’t even talk about the power outage that took my water heater out during one of the coldest Michigan winters on record a few years back. Or the shower that I charged into, thinking myself manly, only to feel a scream involuntarily escape my body that sounded like a mixture between a frightened preteen girl and an abused kitten. I won’t mention how I moved as far from the water as possible and cowered at the edge of the tub, staring at it traumatized, but wondering that it managed to be fluid at what must have been absolute zero. The one consolation was that my wife had left for work already so no one heard my yelp and saw me skip washing.
    "Those sowing seed with tears
    Will reap with a joyful shout." - Psalm 126

Comment

• Originally posted by Stillness View Post
      Sometimes I feel like we’ve gotten too far from nature and I can’t quite figure out why. How did deodorant and antiperspirant become such an important part of hygiene?
      Deodorant and later antiperspirant are a natural progression from European hygiene. Yes, native cultures used sweat lodges and certain types of smoke for cleansing but not universally. Europeans realized that cleaning up very infrequently caused them to stink and used perfumes to mask the stink in a similar way that they used spices to mask the flavor of spoiled food. They did not clean more often because they were worried about getting sick from getting cold while bathing. Bathing more often became more fashionable as plumbing advanced and hot water became more easily available. Beau Brummell may have been the person who influenced aristocracy to start bathing daily. Bathing frequently reduced the need for a lot of perfume, but did not eliminate it. Deodorant targeted the place where odor masking was most needed. Shortly thereafter, antiperspirant tried to limit sweating to control odor. Gradually marketing expanded from targeting women to targeting men, also.

Who introduce you to using deodorant or antiperspirant?

I've actually done a washcloth bath outside and naked at a temperature below freezing with cold water and bar soap when car camping in a mountainous area. Again, quite bracing. I shampooed my hair after I dried off and got dressed so I would be warming up while doing it. You do have to keep from yelling out.
      I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
      Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

• I don't remember starting to use it, but it was almost certainly my mother.

Comment

• With me, it was either my mother or being presentable to women. My point is, once the marketing created a pool of users among women, they could get those women to influence the men in their lives.
          I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
          Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

• I can remember when my mom introduced me to deodorant. She talked to me more about that than about periods and other pubescent issues.

She told me that she'd been noticing an odor.....And so it went.

I think it's overused, lest we be offensive with our humanness

Comment

• Still, had you or your wife shaved your pits prior to application of any of these products?

Comment

• She may have, but no blade has ever gone below my neck.

Comment

• My former boyfriend didn't wear deodorant. I enjoyed his natural scent very much, even when I could smell a bit of body odor from sweating. As long as he showered regularly, the smell wasn't a foul one....just a natural body odor/fragrance one. He's been going for over 2 years now and I still long for his scent.

I just got back from France where everyone supposedly doesn't wear deodorant. I only smelled ONE person the entire time I was there. And again, to me he didn't stink.....he just smelled like natural body odor.

I still wear it myself. Only because I'm insecure about others "accepting" the natural fragrance.
                  "Be what you're looking for."

Comment

• Kitty, I just had an interesting and puzzling discussion with my wife (at 3:30 in the morning). You made me doubt my memory, but she confirmed that the crystal did burn us both. She said it burned me quickly, but that she had been using it a while before it started getting to her - so much, the she has used and entire crystal. But, the multiple times she's tried it since then it's burned her.

Originally posted by Stillness View Post
                    no blade has ever gone below my neck.
                    - in fulfillment of the prophecy.

I read somewhere that saying that at the end of every statement makes you sound crazy. It reminds me of my weird Rastafarian family.

Comment

• Hey, just sharing my thoughts on this.

I think it should be fine as long as it doesn't smell.
                      Despite my double incontinence even without any perfume it never smells, unless there's nowhere to clean up and change and I have to wait for more than 2 hours or so, so when I go out of the house I do have some perfume on. But at home I don't need it cause if I do have a bowel accident I can change immediately. Unless it's summer and your going to be sweating a lot then usually perfume isn't that important.

Comment

• UPDATE

I'm counting the experiment a great success. There are 3 issues to count on the downside:

1) I constantly smell myself. Even fresh out of the shower my underarms smell. I always liked my own scent, but not the one under my arms.

2) I have to clean my clothes more. I used to wear shirts multiple times before washing. The only thing I worried about was a ring around the collar. No more. Once, maybe twice and it's going into the wash. That means more work, more wear and tear on my shirts, and consequently more expense.

3) I sometimes feel the need to wash under my arms in the evening if I'm going back out.

None of that compares to the upside. I'm never going back.

Thanks again for all the input and encouragement!

Comment

• I love it Stillness! Congratulations!

Comment

• I've hit the wall with my crystal. I've had to change back to a regular stick, aluminium free.

Comment

• atskitty2 What do you mean you've hit the wall? Is it not working? Burning you?

My wife has a weird fascination with my armpits now, which I guess makes the downside a little less bad.

Comment

• I had a weird armpit issue recently. I've been wearing non aluminum deo for a good long while now but I would occasionally wear regular store bought deo if it was convenient or I just wanted a change. I started getting knots and bumps under my arms. Some of them got incredibly sore, red, and swollen. I stopped shaving and stopped wearing any deo at all for about a week. My cousin made me some salve out of essential oils and I started putting that on every morning and night to relieve the sores. It worked, they disappeared and I stated shaving again but only once or twice per week and only lightly. I went back to using nothing by my organic deo and continuing to use the salve.

I got one mild sore under one arm today. Oddly it doesn't even seem to be where the hair grows but above.

I have no clue what's causing this, but it is NO FUN. I think at this point I'd be scared to ever use regular deo again.
                                "Be what you're looking for."

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

• Reply to Hoo hot for sex?

She is not really into spontaneous acts of romance or sex.... it has to be in the bedroom and 99% of the time it is at night... and has told me many times...

Today, 06:34 PM By muffin70
                                • Lose Weight More Effectively with Apple Cider Vinegar

Hey ladies,

I hope you’re doing well. I was just searching for tips to lose weight and I found a tip to lose weight effectively. It’s...

Today, 04:11 PM By myfitmomy
                                • I’m not sure doct

hi, new here!
                                  I ended up having a water infection that wouldn’t go away until last month. Ever since I’ve dealt with heavy discharge - some...

Today, 11:33 AM By lilrose
                                • Reply to Is it just me or do we all have one???

You've got the right approach, jns. Sometimes - as Ashlee T. has said - nothing works. In that instance, walking away is best. It isn't rude: because...

Today, 10:23 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                                • Reply to Is Childfree Right For Me? Discuss It Here

I will tell you, Ashlee T. that I would love to have children. But I have not met the right man yet. However, there is still time. I am 38 years old but...

Today, 10:18 AM By Popcorn&Candy

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

• Hoo hot for sex?

It is nearing the end of summer here in New Zealand and it has been a pretty hot summer – especially in the evenings / overnight…. Wife & I have...

03-17-2019, 06:29 PM By muffin70
                                • Lose Weight More Effectively with Apple Cider Vinegar

Hey ladies,

I hope you’re doing well. I was just searching for tips to lose weight and I found a tip to lose weight effectively. It’s...

Today, 04:11 PM By myfitmomy
                                • I’m not sure doct

hi, new here!
                                  I ended up having a water infection that wouldn’t go away until last month. Ever since I’ve dealt with heavy discharge - some...

Today, 11:33 AM By lilrose
                                • Is it just me or do we all have one???

I have a very good friend, funny, gregarious, giving, loving, adventurous and all around good person. However, there is always a however, when we get...

03-11-2019, 07:23 AM By Claret
                                • Is Childfree Right For Me? Discuss It Here

Are you conflicted with the decision of whether being childfree is right for you? Or, you already know deep inside but are struggling with guilt or pressure?...

03-08-2019, 01:01 PM By Ashlee T.
                                Working...
                                X