No announcement yet.

Uptown Funk - My No Deodorant Experiment

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• Yeah Still, the crystal stopped working.
    The stick I bought isn't working either. At all!

I have a feeling it has smth to do with whatever is happening to my body right now with the hormones and hot flashes. I'm not sure anything could stand up to the intense heat and sweat that washes over me.

BD that is odd. I have no idea unless the sweat glands are being clogged by the deodorant? From your description that doesn't seem to fit tho.
    Maybe try a different soap, to maybe eliminate more of the bacteria in the area?

Comment

• You all need to join your boy Stillness and embrace nature.

I suspect perfumes and deodorizers designed to mask the natural scent probably came from times when people couldn't wash their bodies and clothing regularly. Somehow stuck and we've become overly concerned about something that doesn't merit the attention we give it. It's probably borderline unhealthy, if not outright harmful. No one is going to smell you if you wear clean clothes and wash yourself.
      "Those sowing seed with tears
      Will reap with a joyful shout." - Psalm 126

Comment

• I smell me! LOL
        And I don't like it!

Comment

• Originally posted by atskitty2 View Post
          I smell me! LOL
          And I don't like it!
          Exactly! I should have said "no one else will smell you." As with many things, the hardest person to live with on this issue is ourselves. We've become unaccustomed to our own scent. That's kinda sad.

I'm trying to figure out if I've messed my underarms up through years of deodorant use or if I'm just messed up in the head. My wife's new-found fixation on my scent is telling me the issue is between my ears, not under my arms. I smell funk. She says it smells like salt. (Which is weird because salt is odorless to me).

Comment

• Originally posted by Stillness View Post
            No one is going to smell you if you wear clean clothes and wash yourself.
            AFAIK bacteria that cause body odor live in the pores as well as on the skin. A thorough washing takes care of the surface bacteria but not those in the pores. I've smelled my own body odor shortly after bathing in some instances. Maybe your diet is suppressing the odor making bacteria.
            I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
            Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

• Originally posted by jns View Post

AFAIK bacteria that cause body odor live in the pores as well as on the skin. A thorough washing takes care of the surface bacteria but not those in the pores. I've smelled my own body odor shortly after bathing in some instances. Maybe your diet is suppressing the odor making bacteria.
              I don't know about that, but there are a few crevices and openings on our bodies that smell. If you keep those areas cleaned well and wear clean clothing, it's usually not enough to be smelled by others, at least not to an offensive degree. You don't need to wear deodorant in those areas. In my experience, it's the same with the underarms.

Comment

• FYI- just read an article today that people only need to shower once or twice per week
                better for your hair, also

husband is only one in our house that showers daily as he wants his hair to look perfect for work
                if you think you might be offensive to someone, wet ones sensitive wipes work well under the arms on your way out the door

s

Comment

• Originally posted by amy40 View Post
                  FYI- just read an article today that people only need to shower once or twice per week
                  better for your hair, also

husband is only one in our house that showers daily as he wants his hair to look perfect for work
                  if you think you might be offensive to someone, wet ones sensitive wipes work well under the arms on your way out the door

(if I want sex, "I showered today" is often my hint...ha)
                  That's really interesting, Amy. I've never heard anything like this.

I shower daily and am fairly meticulous about hygeine. It's an area of friction between my wife and I because on the rare days she has nothing to do, she'll sometimes skip or delay showering. It's frustrating because if we both have nothing to do, what I'd like to do is her, but I like things fresh.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stillness View Post
                    That's really interesting, Amy. I've never heard anything like this.

as a kid, I remember the once weekly bath on the weekend
                    our kid also once/wk on the weekend
                    if our kid gets especially dirty or has an event during week, it's a struggle to get kid to take a second shower!

Comment

• I have read many times that we shower too frequently, especially in the States.
                      I will just be wrong then, because I like to be clean.

My current issues must be hormonal. I am feeling the need to change clothes every few hours now, due to smelling something. I wore a tank top under a sweater yesterday for only 6 hrs and it needs washed, if it isn't ruined. The hot flashes weren't even that bad. I've had enough of this business! What on Earth is my body trying to do to me?? Lol

Comment

• I shower daily and use deodorant. I love using soap and just feeling fresh. It isn't because I feel I have to, it is because I love being clean. I don't really care what other people say about this.

Comment

• Originally posted by Popcorn&Candy View Post
                          I shower daily and use deodorant. I love using soap and just feeling fresh. It isn't because I feel I have to, it is because I love being clean. I don't really care what other people say about this.
                          I really like that fresh feeling from daily washing too. I also think there might be something to the massaging action of rubbing your whole body.

The funny thing is that I also stopped using soap a long time ago. I don't really talk about it much because I already feel odd enough because of how different I am. I think if I told people they'd imagine I'm weird and dirty. I guess I do care what other people say.

Comment

• Well, there was recently a movement (mostly women I assume) toward not shampooing hair. My stylist called it the "no poo" movement. I cannot...I just cannot! I shampoo every 2nd or 3rd day.

I don't know WHAT is happening to my body...I really don't. Seems like I'm emitting odors from every pore, and now I'm told I have foul breath frequently. I take a shower, and it seems like I'm smelling myself within hours, perspiring, and just feel gross. This is really getting to be ridiculous.

Is it my diet-lacking something or too much of something? My skin doesn't feel oily or anything. It's getting worse all the time, and I'm getting really intolerant of it. I dread dating, or kissing someone because I cannot tell if my mouth is gross...
                            This is really stressing me out. I'm finding it hard to laugh at this any more...

Comment

• I remember complaining as a boy about my mother's Bible teacher's smell. She almost always had a funky odor. My mother told me that some women get that way at a certain age when their body changes. I accepted it then, but I'm more suspicious of it now. I know the body can go through changes. But I don't think it's typically something noticeable by others if you're clean - even by someone with a keen nose like mine.

My wife has strong body odor, but I almost never smell her unless we're close and disrobed. I can smell if she's eaten certain foods like garlic, onions, or celery. To her dismay, she's gone right back into the shower after I've smelled her sour towel on her skin. (It's always amazing to me how she doesn't smell that). But I don't typically smell "BO" - even when she's panicking about smelling it herself. Once in a while I think I get a whiff of something when it's a hot summer's day and we get into the car together. But it's so slight, that it's not worth mentioning.

The breath is different. I smell a lot of people's breath. A lot. Unfortunately, that include's my wife's. If she burns her mouth with food, I smell it. If she had meat or tuna I smell it. Don't even get me started with the garlic. We're almost not together now because of that smell. BUT, she's very particular about oral hygeine, so what I get from her and what I get from some other people is quite different. It's never a rotten, dirty smell.

People who are concerned about how we come off to others are our own worst critics. I think that if you're staying hydrated, eating well, and keeping yourself and your clothes clean that you probably don't have much to worry about - at least from others. If you're trying to be more odorless, staying away from some smelly foods would probably help. I wonder who's telling you about your breath? Is it the same person or different people? What are they saying?

Comment

• Still, I typically don't have a good sense of smell. That's partly why I fear it's much worse than I even realize. Because if I can smell it, I know it's bad! lol
                                I'm trying doubling up-using my crystal and a stick deodorant. Seems to be helping a little.

I do eat a lot of garlic, but no more than I have the past 2 years. I've been flossing, and using mouth wash more often.

It is the same person. He mentioned it because he knows how health-conscious I am. He knows the details of my auto-immune issues, and he'd noticed it more than once, and not from really close range, (across a table) so he asked if I had a GI issue now too. He reports it's just a strong "sour" smell.
                                I don't notice a difference at all, and don't even notice a dryness in my mouth like I used to. It's got me concerned, but I feel fine. Er, well...as fine as I ever feel!

Comment

Working...
                                X