Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Uptown Funk - My No Deodorant Experiment

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• Originally posted by atskitty2 View Post
    I don't know WHAT is happening to my body...I really don't.
    kitty, from this and some of your other posts, it seems you might be in perimenopause
    yesterday, found some info

found it-
    menopausehealthmatters
    info on odor and perimenopause but look up odor and perimenopause on yahoo first and you should find it

Comment

• Perhaps I was being dramatic. Maybe I'm venting or sort of denying the reason, too. Sad, but I'll just admit it now. It's hormones. Plain and simple, I'm going through "the change" and it is sucking the life right out of me. It makes me really angry, I have to say.

I do know the root is the hormones, it's just increasingly frustrating that nothing I can do will stop it, and I'm not willing to take the hormone creams or supplements. Not yet anyway. I have been in peri-menopause for at least 3 yrs now. The criteria is 12 full months with no bleeding to be deemed menopausal. I've made it 9 months, and now am 6 months into another hopeful countdown...even the slightest spotting resets the clock. I guess somehow, I hope if I can make that 12 months, this will all be over. I know that's not true tho.

I've actually realized that, this could be much worse if I didn't already have a healthy diet, and all I already do to take good care of myself. Supposedly some of the foods I've eaten regularly for months/years now, are good for this. I actually read recently that baking soda on the pits can help, or lemon. Neither claim to reduce perspiration, just odor. Mg and Zn have been sought after minerals for me. lol That's one reason I've added seafoods back into my diet.

I did only recently read about the breath changes being related to menopause tho. That I just learned. I came across that buried in one of the lists. Maybe I had never noticed it on the lists tho, until I was told I have it a couple weeks ago.

Comment

it's just increasingly frustrating that nothing I can do will stop it
        kitty, there's a female Dr that's been a TV guest that had tips/ideas for that transition

will have to think a bit to see if I can come up with the name

Comment

Mg and Zn have been sought after minerals for me. lol That's one reason I've added seafoods back into my diet.
          There are plants that are pretty good sources of these, right? Supplements? Seafood is pretty smelly. It doesn't seem like it would be ideal for an odorless body.
          "Those sowing seed with tears
          Will reap with a joyful shout." - Psalm 126

Comment

• Originally posted by Stillness View Post

There are plants that are pretty good sources of these, right? Supplements? Seafood is pretty smelly. It doesn't seem like it would be ideal for an odorless body.
            A lot of seafood is almost odorless if it is extremely fresh. Many times the flavors are very delicate. Think sushi or sashimi flavors. When it starts to break down it gets strong odors and stronger flavors.
            I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
            Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

• Yeah, I'm taking a zinc supplement, but I've read that Mg is poorly absorbed that way. I'm getting a lot through my diet of greens, yes, but salmon or tuna once a week or so is a good boost. I also, don't find fish to be that smelly if it's fresh or flash frozen. (In my part of the country it's hard to find it really fresh)

Comment

I've actually realized that, this could be much worse
                article on yahoo yesterday that describes what you're going through
                "Amy robach on struggling with early menopause: from hot flashes to embracing aging"

Last edited by amy40; 01-27-2018, 02:24 AM. Reason: hope u finding ways to manage kitty

Comment

• Two Year Update - Turned a Corner

Up until last week I still had an unpleasant odor to myself. My wife fluctuated between not smelling it or loving it. No one else could smell it. That has now changed.

In the summer, my wife joined me. She had a harder time, but she didn't give up. We found out that some people use lime as deodorant, she tried it, and it worked! At the end of the day she'd smell better than me when I'm fresh out of the shower. She used it for months. I tried it and it worked for me too. But using nothing is so much easier than using something, so it didn't stick with me.

Then she heard that another product we have for razor bumps called Tend Skin works too. It makes for an unpleasant vinegary smell (I smell it, she doesn't) when it comes in contact with the skin, but sure enough, she smelled fresh all day. She favored that over the lime.

Last week I was putting some on after a haircut and decided to try it and to see what would happen. The cotton-ball was black afterwards and I had just gotten out of the shower and scrubbed thoroughly with soap, water, and a facecloth. It left me much fresher. I tried it again the next day - same outcome. I didn't use it the next day and noticed that I no longer had a strong smell. My underarms just smelled like normal skin. In fact, I could still smell soap the next day, even after over 24 hours and a vigorous, sweaty workout.

It's been 5 days since I used the Tend Skin and what little smell I do get is no longer offensive to me - nothing at first, then kinda like a pomelo (the big green grapefruit) the next morning. I think I just had decades of bacteria built up and soap and water was not enough. The alcohol in that stuff probably killed them. I think plain rubbing alcohol would have the same outcome, but I haven't tried yet. I probably would have never figured this out if my wife hadn't joined me.
                  "Those sowing seed with tears
                  Will reap with a joyful shout." - Psalm 126

Comment

• When children are young they tend not to have strong body odor if they bathe regularly. Upon reaching puberty that changes for boys. From my experience, if you wipe out bacteria relatively completely, it will take a few days before the foul smelling bacteria regrow to an objectionable level. Soap will not get rid of enough of the bacteria to suppress the foul smell for very long. My guess is it isn't the alcohol but maybe an acid that is wiping out the bacteria, like the citric acid in lime.
                    I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
                    Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

• You're right, jns.

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

• Reply to Hoo hot for sex?

She is not really into spontaneous acts of romance or sex.... it has to be in the bedroom and 99% of the time it is at night... and has told me many times...

Today, 06:34 PM By muffin70
                      • Lose Weight More Effectively with Apple Cider Vinegar

Hey ladies,

I hope you’re doing well. I was just searching for tips to lose weight and I found a tip to lose weight effectively. It’s...

Today, 04:11 PM By myfitmomy
                      • I’m not sure doct

hi, new here!
                        I ended up having a water infection that wouldn’t go away until last month. Ever since I’ve dealt with heavy discharge - some...

Today, 11:33 AM By lilrose
                      • Reply to Is it just me or do we all have one???

You've got the right approach, jns. Sometimes - as Ashlee T. has said - nothing works. In that instance, walking away is best. It isn't rude: because...

Today, 10:23 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                      • Reply to Is Childfree Right For Me? Discuss It Here

I will tell you, Ashlee T. that I would love to have children. But I have not met the right man yet. However, there is still time. I am 38 years old but...

Today, 10:18 AM By Popcorn&Candy

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

• Hoo hot for sex?

It is nearing the end of summer here in New Zealand and it has been a pretty hot summer – especially in the evenings / overnight…. Wife & I have...

03-17-2019, 06:29 PM By muffin70
                      • Lose Weight More Effectively with Apple Cider Vinegar

Hey ladies,

I hope you’re doing well. I was just searching for tips to lose weight and I found a tip to lose weight effectively. It’s...

Today, 04:11 PM By myfitmomy
                      • I’m not sure doct

hi, new here!
                        I ended up having a water infection that wouldn’t go away until last month. Ever since I’ve dealt with heavy discharge - some...

Today, 11:33 AM By lilrose
                      • Is it just me or do we all have one???

I have a very good friend, funny, gregarious, giving, loving, adventurous and all around good person. However, there is always a however, when we get...

03-11-2019, 07:23 AM By Claret
                      • Is Childfree Right For Me? Discuss It Here

Are you conflicted with the decision of whether being childfree is right for you? Or, you already know deep inside but are struggling with guilt or pressure?...

03-08-2019, 01:01 PM By Ashlee T.
                      Working...
                      X