Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

incontinence in young adult

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• incontinence in young adult

Hello everyone, my name is mia,
    Ever since I was small I have been dealing with severe bladder and bowel incontinence. I'm currently attending college and still at my age I'm having heavy accidents frequently throughout the day. Usually I have 3-4 bowel accidents during the day, and a lot more bladder accidents. I have to use very thick and absorbent diapers to deal with it which are really hard to hide under any reasonable clothing. During the night I have a bowel accident in my sleep and don't wake up for it which makes my morning clean up routine hard to be changing a wet and bowel filled diaper.
    Sorry if this was graphic but dealing with this is hard on a daily basis. Accidents happen so unpredictably , during class, during presentations, speeches while going home on the bus, it just happens and dealing with it is hard. I wear plastic pants to stop any smell from spreading so I don't have to subject other people to the smell......
    Just curious if anyone is dealing with a similar situation.

• Hi Mia, welcome to WH! I'm sorry to hear of your situation. It must be difficult. Has your doctor cam up with any treatment plan that will lessen the number of incidents or stop them altogether?
    I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
    Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

• Unfortunately I had some medical complications when I was young and I can no longer have any surgical fixes without major risk. I have tried diets and keeping times to ease the situation so I can predict when I might have an accident but they have always been very unpredictable and there doesn't seem to be any pattern.
      Right now I go for regular check ups and everything but the only way up to now has been to use diapers, I change immediately after I have a bowel accident to maintain my hygene which is really hard when I'm out at college or anywhere else. There are some situations when I can't change and have to wait a while which is the worst feeling >.<
      It's been hard to keep active while having to wear heavy protection all the time but I have been swimming for some time now (using swim diapers) and that has increased my metabolism and I actually burn through more food now which might be a reason my bowel accidents are more than usual. But it's the only thing which keeps me active so I'm not ready to just give up on it, especially because I'm doing really well.
      The thing is I have never personally met anyone dealing with this and it feels lonely from time to time.
      I still don't understand why I don't wake up in the night whenever I am having a bowel accident, even the doctor's aren't sure exactly. Everyday I wake up to a wet and filled diaper which is really degrading......I just want to vent a little and maybe find people dealing with similar situations. I've been on several incontinence related forums but rarely do I find people dealing with one as server, most are males and I haven't met a lot of females to discuss these issues with.

Comment

• oh mia! I am so sad for you, but proud all in the same thought. You're very courageous to do all you're doing, even swimming, with this type of thing happening. that's just great!

I don't know of anyone with exactly this issue. Have you asked your doctor if any other patients (with this specifically), are willing to come together for support?
        Have you called other doc offices in your area?

I'm sorry the support group you have isnt quite meeting your need. it's important not to feel isolated sometimes.

I dont have many suggestions, but welcome to our forum! Even if nobody here suffers with this same problem, I think you'll find a welcoming and supportive group here. please stick around and confide in us if you are so inclined.
        hugs

Comment

• Unfortunately there's no one in the area with long term incontinence, and bowel incontinence is apparently not as common so bring both bowel and bladder incontinent is probably not something common.

When I was small the medical complications cause some I long term problems as well and I used to go to a group support for that until I could manage it better.
          During the time I started high school I started changing and cleaning up by myself which brought on a lot of stress..... Changing a messed and wet diaper was really getting to me and I was for some time depressed. I saw a therapist every week which genuinely helped me through.

These days I'm getting ready to transfer to a university so I guess I'm a little stressed out of going into a new environment.
          When first joining swimming I really was nervous because having an accident in the pool was something I dreaded. The time I had an accident first while swimming I did panic a little, but the swim diapers did their job really well despite bring hard to conceal in swimwear. After that I realized that I had nothing to worry about as long as I go to clean up and change if I do have an accident.
          To be honest I have to give most of the credit to my mother as she pushed me to be independent everyday and I always had her if I needed her.

Thanks for being so accommodating I will try to be a little more optimistic/pleasant in my future posts

Comment

• Hey Mia!! Don't worry about seeming pessimistic or negative here. You're dealing with a very serious issue, both physically and emotionally. Like Kitty said, I admire you so much for your courage in continuing on with trying to live as normal a life as possible.

Did you know that one in 50 adults suffer from bowel incontinence and 1 in 5 women suffer from bladder incontinence? Those are some stats I pulled from a 2013 article so they may be a bit different now. The point is, you're not alone even though I know you must often feel that way.

I am curious if you wouldn't mind to elaborate a bit more on the medical complications that have resulted in this incontinence?
            "Be what you're looking for."

Comment

• There's no easy way to explain this, but before I start I want to assure you I'm alright now.

When I was small I had a bacterial infection, it just came like a flu and within a couple of days became really really bad. By the time I was in hospital I was going in and out of consciousness because I was completely out of energy. I don't really remember anything after that until I woke up nearly a week later. What I was told was that I went into what they call sepsis and all my organs were failing and tissue started to die. At one point the tissue in both my legs started to die rapidly and they had to amputate my left leg above the knee and my right leg a little bit above that. It sounds horrific but I was just dosing off of pain meds. From time to time I woke you bearly and went back under. You can imagine the shock I had when I woke up.... And in addition to that the pain was out of this world. I was maxed out on pain medication and I still felt like I was burning alive. This was when my incontinence started because my nerves and muscles at my bladder and sphincters areas were severely damaged, I went through several surgeries to fix what they could and that was that. They fixed a catheter and I had a mat under me and that was my toilet. It was definitely some experience.
              After a few years I got used to the prothetics and didn't need the wheelchair and now I'm completely independent, or at least I can be.
              The prothetics are pretty limited, it doesn't have ankle joints and the knee joint only bends when I'm walking. For things like stairs and uneven surfaces I can't bend the knee at will, it's like a spring loaded hinge, it bends to the motion of waking but otherwise it just stays straight. So going up stairs is like having no knee joints or ankle joints.......I need to hold something, It's slow and frustrating. Even a small height of a few inches I can't do without losing a little balance.
              In a way I feel lucky, during physiotherapy I met a mother who lost all 4 limbs because of a complication during pregnancy, she still could do some things and was truly inspiring.

Comment

• Wow. What a history you have! I got chills reading it.......not because of the horror you went through, but because of how I hear so much positivity and drive in your words after all that. YOU are an inspiration!!!!

I know that at this point you've probably tried a thousand different things, so please bear with us here if we suggest things to you that you've already tried or that simply won't work for you. Have you ever seen the leg (upper thigh) holster for a small catheter bag? It allows someone to wear clothing while using a catheter and be very discreet.

In regards to the bowel incontinence, 3-4 times a day seems like a lot of bowel movements for anyone. Does modifying your eating habits change the frequency at all? There are some newer therapies out there for this. Have you ever heard of InterStim Therapy? How about Solesta?

You really should be extremely proud of yourself......you are truly someone to be admired.

Comment

• Originally posted by Beautiful Disaster View Post
                  Wow. What a history you have! I got chills reading it.......not because of the horror you went through, but because of how I hear so much positivity and drive in your words after all that. YOU are an inspiration!!!!

I know that at this point you've probably tried a thousand different things, so please bear with us here if we suggest things to you that you've already tried or that simply won't work for you. Have you ever seen the leg (upper thigh) holster for a small catheter bag? It allows someone to wear clothing while using a catheter and be very discreet.

In regards to the bowel incontinence, 3-4 times a day seems like a lot of bowel movements for anyone. Does modifying your eating habits change the frequency at all? There are some newer therapies out there for this. Have you ever heard of InterStim Therapy? How about Solesta?

You really should be extremely proud of yourself......you are truly someone to be admired.

I have experienced cathing and to be doing that regularly would be really uncomfortable, especially after what happened inside that area is really sensitive, and either way I wear heavy duty diapers to deal with my bowels so I don't really do a lot to accommodate the bladder incontinence. If it was pain free a catheter bag would make things a little easier though not by a really large degree.
                  I've tried changing my diet and it never made it less or predictable, because I do intensive swimming as I said I burn through food really easily so that also adds to it I guess, but swimming keeps me active and I don't want to idle myself.

My mother had extensively talked to the doctor's about every possible solution, even now when I go for checkups she has a long conversation about how I could deal with this in the future.
                  Problem with these therapies are there was extensive damage to my nerves and muscles in that region, so much that I don't even get urges or any feeling when I am going to have a bowel accident, I only notice it when it fills the diaper. And it's the same with my bladder, Physically there's nothing to control or feel anything and any further surgeries for things like a colostomy is too risky with the state of my system.

I guess I feel good when I think of what I have powered through, being a double above knee amputee and being as mobile as me, but a lot of credit goes to my family who were so supportive and always there, my mother who pushed me to be independent constantly.
                  Last edited by miahere; 01-30-2017, 08:50 PM.

Comment

• This is really encouraging me to pick up my diet and exercise regimen.

I think that when you're getting proper exercise and have a good diet, going three times a day is normal - for me it is, anyway. When I'm training well and working towards weight loss it's nothing for me to go 4-5 times a day. When I'm feeling my best, I'll go as many times in a day as I've eaten a meal.

Are you able to exercise your pelvic floor? Have you tried it? Have you tried to see a physical therapist that specializes in pelvic therapy and incontinence? They are said to improve or resolve nearly every patient.

Also, WELCOME! I hope you stick around.
                    "Those sowing seed with tears
                    Will reap with a joyful shout." - Psalm 126

Comment

• Originally posted by Stillness View Post

I think that when you're getting proper exercise and have a good diet, going three times a day is normal - for me it is, anyway. When I'm training well and working towards weight loss it's nothing for me to go 4-5 times a day. When I'm feeling my best, I'll go as many times in a day as I've eaten a meal.

Also, WELCOME! I hope you stick around.

Really!?! Wow. I think we'd all be happier if we could go 4-5 times a day. Lol. So long as it didn't interfere with life. A friend of mine used to go almost immediately after every meal. She started taking probiotics and now her bathroom trips are more infrequent (maybe 1-2 daily instead of 3-5) but more "productive" too if that makes sense.

miahere
                      - I can imagine the catheter would be uncomfortable. And I agree that it would be pointless discomfort unless you found a way to also deal with the bowel issues. It sounds like between you and your mother, you are very on the ball about all this. We can only hope that with medical advancements and such, something will come along for folks like yourself. In the meantime, I hope you'll stay here with us and share other parts of your life as well! :-) What are you studying in college?

Comment

• I initially went for electrical engineering, since I really liked physics and maths, but when I took an introductory course on programming I just feel in love with it, I just topped the class with hardly any effort and I new that computer science is something I would really enjoy. So I'm doing computer science...... I'll be transferring to a university this fall so right now I'm with my parents and little brother.....

Comment

• Have you contacted any university med center for info on any studies or experimental treatment for the nerve destruction? I know with all that's being developed, there's some fairly exciting new things being tried with stem cells.

Possibly even international medical resources?

Comment

• There are some experimentation surgeries and procedures which include surgery on the spinal cord to replace/fix nerves, I'm not sure of the exact medicine behind it but again very risky and since my case is a little rare it'll be a first time. I usually keep up to date with some of the advanced which are there, keep in touch with my doctor but I don't want to go and try every single treatment which are just experimental, putting my body through any more trauma is just I personally don't want. The pain I experienced after my infection was so bad, I have never ever felt anything like that. I would just pass out several times because of the pain. When I started going to school I started to find any possible treatment via the internet and eventually find out I couldn't take part in it because of my condition. It was frustrating because I was basically cornered into one solution which wasn't life threatening or risky which was using protection. Hardest decision to make because I just told myself that any risk would trump using diapers. So what I think is until my doctor can safely recommend a treatment I'm going to take the risk free way because all the other options are not just risky, the numbers aren't in my favor. It can sound depressing to me sometimes ......
                            Last edited by miahere; 01-31-2017, 01:28 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Beautiful Disaster View Post
                              In regards to the bowel incontinence, 3-4 times a day seems like a lot of bowel movements for anyone. Does modifying your eating habits change the frequency at all?
                              Yes it isn't normal for someone my age. And that's not counting the bowel accident I have at night. While I sleep I have a bowel accident and I also wet just like the day. Another thing is walking with the prosthetics burns a lot more energy and because of this burns more food. And with my already high metabolism is worse. I don't want to restrict my eating or drinking just because I'll have less accidents, I need food to fuel myself.
                              On
                              When I was small I didn't drink for a long time thinking that I wouldn't soak my diaper (at the time youth diapers weren't that good) . The next morning the diaper was soaked and full and leaked onto the bed >.<
                              And when I started walking to the bathroom I fainted because I was so dehydrated. At the time I was trying really hard to avoid having to use this other youth diaper which was much larger are thicker for heavy incontinence, so I tried to use the diapers I was using less, but it never really worked. Eventually my mother convinced me this was a more practical option.
                              Last edited by miahere; 02-01-2017, 01:24 AM.

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

• Have You Ever Done Any Online Dating? - Let's Discuss!

If you've ever done any online dating, you know there are many things that can go wrong. But for some, online dating leads to finding a soulmate. ...

09-17-2019, 11:04 AM By Chrissy M.
                              • Do You Volunteer?

I have done so for many years.

I work at a charity and have been there for over 10 years. I must admit, I love the work. Admittedly, I don't...

09-17-2019, 03:15 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                              • Do You Pluck Your Eyebrows?

I certainly do.

I like the thinner brow look. I have beautiful eyes and feel my brows frame my face. I love having groomed, neat eyebrows....

09-17-2019, 03:08 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                              • Fabulous New Boots!

I very recently bought myself a gorgeous pair of black leather boots. I spent a good 20 minutes making the decision and don't regret it!

09-17-2019, 03:02 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                              • Soon To Have Therapy

I've been in a really mixed-up place lately. So I have spoken to my doctor and she is referring me for counselling. I shall also be seeing a psychologist....

09-17-2019, 02:59 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                              Working...
                              X