Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

personality

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• jns and sp, fill in the blank with a gender pronoun - just the first one that would come to mind our that you'd commonly hear mentioned:

___ settled down after ___ got married.

Was your first though he or she? There's a concept that men are somewhat uncivilized until they marry and that a woman calms and focuses them. The same idea is not as prevalent for women, at least not that I've heard. Not only is it accepted, but it's expected. If a man doesn't "settle down" he's viewed as immature. Either way, men do undergo change when they get into a relationship and make a family.

There are cultural and sexual differences, but the experience isn't generally less profound for us.
    "Those sowing seed with tears
    Will reap with a joyful shout." - Psalm 126

Comment

• It's interesting that you say you have basically turned into one another. I often find myself doing/sayings things that I know my husband does, even small things like the way he pushes his glasses up is nose a little when they are sliding (I never used to do this but now when wearings sunglasses find myself doing it all the time.) I would say it is inevitable we will all pick up traits of our partners, especially those of have been together for a long time. I'd be more concerned if the opposite happened and neither picked up on the little things.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stillness View Post
        jns and sp, fill in the blank with a gender pronoun - just the first one that would come to mind our that you'd commonly hear mentioned:

___ settled down after ___ got married.
        I thought of a female pronoun and thought that was what you were pointing towards.
        Freedom is just another word for nothing left to lose - Kris Kristofferson and Fred Foster (sung by Janis Joplin)

Comment

• Originally posted by DreamP346 View Post

I thought of a female pronoun and thought that was what you were pointing towards.
          Oh well.

Comment

• Originally posted by DreamP346 View Post

have never heard of a female settling down but have heard of men settling down
            but maybe now that women are getting married later, they also hear "when are you going to settle down?"

Comment

• Originally posted by Stillness View Post

If a man doesn't "settle down" he's viewed as immature. .
              do you think George Clooney was immature? (although he was once married years ago)
              probably his friends did consider him immature?

Comment

• Originally posted by amy40 View Post
                do you think George Clooney was immature? (although he was once married yrs ago)
                probably his friends did consider him immature?
                I have a lot of single friends. I don't see singleness as immaturity.

I was referring to a married man behaving as a bachelor.

Comment

• I get asked fairly often why I've not found a steady man and remarried.
                  Truth is, I'd love to be married again, or at least an established relationship. It's just slim pickin's out there

I don't know why we call it "settling down" tho. I did as much drinking and partying as a married couple. I don't anticipate that changing anything this time either. I don't enjoy that like I used to, so I have settled down as a single actually.

What irritates me is the stigma attached to being single. That I'm nuts, or hard to get along with, or have my expectations too high, can't be satisfied, etc.

Rambling, I don't know what my point was now! Lol

Comment

• I think it's called "settling down" because of the nature of marriage. Even the word "husband" implies that he will be taking care of a home, not living a freewheeling lifestyle out and about.

In my faith, we get a lot of counsel about singleness - not to pressure people or pry into their business and to regard singleness as a state at least as honorable as marriage, if not more. Jesus was famously single and so was the most prolific penman of the Christian Scriptures, Paul.

Comment

• I am not sure we influenced each other personalities.
                      I do know my communication skills improved, and she influenced positively my understanding of nutrition in general.
                      Behold the presence of the Father in all beings...

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

• Reply to Can I bed my mother in law?

If you both think your marriage is otherwise happy, and your wife is accepting of your seeking sexual gratification elsewhere, I somehow think an exception...

Today, 06:47 AM By atskitty2
                      • What do you mean by Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS)?

Polycystic Ovary Syndrome, commonly known as PCOS is a health condition that affects 10 million women in the world. Genetics, as well as environmental...

Yesterday, 10:51 PM By laiqadm
                      • I can't get over it!

My baby was stillborn. It's been two years now but still, I can't get over it. Also, I couldn't conceive after that. So, I am looking forward to adopting...

Yesterday, 09:13 PM By Emily2020
                      • Reply to Can I bed my mother in law?

Thanks for the advise...

Yesterday, 09:50 AM By sam.extcool
                      • Reply to Old member

Out of curiosity, what is making you so miserable about your current situation?
                        What is it that you're really unhappy about, deep down inside?

Yesterday, 04:40 AM By atskitty2

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

• What do you mean by Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS)?

Polycystic Ovary Syndrome, commonly known as PCOS is a health condition that affects 10 million women in the world. Genetics, as well as environmental...

Yesterday, 10:51 PM By laiqadm
                      • I can't get over it!

My baby was stillborn. It's been two years now but still, I can't get over it. Also, I couldn't conceive after that. So, I am looking forward to adopting...

Yesterday, 09:13 PM By Emily2020
                      • Old member

I haven't been on here for a long time. This forum helped me get my life together. Having reached a new low in my life, I'm back for more advice. I'm...

02-14-2020, 03:48 AM By chaya
                      • Can I bed my mother in law?

I'm 40 married. My wife is ok if I bed other woman as far as she don't know who it is and it's not in the same bed as hers. We had a open discussion on...

02-11-2020, 01:12 PM By sam.extcool
                      • Knowing when to push at the doctors?

Hello ladies!

A little bit of background. I am a 30yo mom of 3 kids (ages 10, 5, & 2) - I had all via c-section, also had my tubes...

02-10-2020, 02:30 PM By AnneDixon
                      Working...
                      X