Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

wrist braces

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• wrist braces

After a long time I'm posting so hello to everyone.

So I've been having wrist problems for some time and while it never got worse it didn't get better either, so I've been in and out of the hospital and I've got fitted for wrist braces on both my wrists. They aren't as restrictive like the other ones so I could still do everything on my own but I'll need to find different ways of doing it that's all.
    It's been like 24 hours, nearly I've been wearing these things and they aren't as easy to get used to as I thought so it's going to take time.

Otherwise I'll m doing pretty well. I'm dealing with everything just fine. I do have the ocational day where my incontinence acts up but it's actually not that bad compared to it's ground state.

• Hey Mia! Glad to hear from you. What's been going on with your wrists? Is it just overuse? I can imagine the braces are tough to get used to. How long will you have to wear them?
    "Be what you're looking for."

Comment

• I can imagine your wrists get a workout lifting yourself in and out of your chair. Has the overuse and pressure on them caused issues?

So nice to hear from you. Did you find a better brand/type of diaper? Or decide to stick with the ones you had?
      Still in swimming class? Are you out of college for the summer now?

Comment

• Originally posted by Beautiful Disaster View Post
        Hey Mia! Glad to hear from you. What's been going on with your wrists? Is it just overuse? I can imagine the braces are tough to get used to. How long will you have to wear them?
        Originally posted by atskitty2 View Post
        I can imagine your wrists get a workout lifting yourself in and out of your chair. Has the overuse and pressure on them caused issues?
        Mostly from the fractures I had when I was small, and the constant weight bearing for when I get up or sit down, it's likely not going to get worse if I manage it properly, but for pain management and to avoid stress on the joint, thing is a lot of the smaller bones on my wrists have low blood flow so my wrist have to restrict movement to a smaller range. I probably will be using the braces permanently, I'm very reluctant to have surgery because I use my hands a lot so I want to take a risk.

So the doctors say I will be able to do everything I to do, but obviously since things I'll have to do a little differently like changing my briefs since I have less motion on my wrists

I actually only use the chair in the morning and night to get ready, for the day or for sleep. But to get myself up from a seated position or anything all my weight is on my hands until my knee bends into place, only then do I stand on the prosthetic's. I used to do some exercises for my arms which I might need some special equipment, having a good upper body strength is more useful that stick thin arms at least for me it is.

Originally posted by atskitty2 View Post
        So nice to hear from you. Did you find a better brand/type of diaper? Or decide to stick with the ones you had?
        Still in swimming class? Are you out of college for the summer now?
        Not one which would suffice, I decided it doesn't matter if it's thick, no one's actively looking for people wearing diapers, I doubt most will notice. Thing is I've tried briefs specifically for women and they're super stealthy, but just don't deal with full incontinence like mine.... Anyway, it's not the end of the world. I'm not really bothered by it. Functionality over aesthetics.

Swimming it's great, I'm like so proud of myself, I've got into great shape and I actually feel so much more energetic and active, will definitely want to keep swimming wherever I go. This is actually something I was worried about that my wrists not being in the best condition that swimming wood have to stop, but luckily that's not the case, in fact the orthotist fitted me for a plastic waterproof brace... So I'm glad for that.

Okay so I don't know if I mentioned this but I was planning to transfer to a university this fall, it's a few hours drive from where I stay and i got a decent scholarship so i decided to transfer. I could have done another semester at the college I was going to but this year is when my incontinence started getting worse at a rate I didn't expect....I moved to confidry 24/7 which are probably the highest absorbancy brief you can get from regular adult diapers and it wasn't easy to adapt to, I used to have a bowel accident during my sleep maybe 2 or three times a week, now it's slowly increased and every morning I wake up to find that I had a bowel accident in the night, my urinary incontinence increased as much which is the main reason I changed diaper brands... So I basically didn't attend college this semester, spent time at the hospital doing test after test, examination after examination, and fortunately or unfortunately there was nothing wrong, this was normal increase due to growth and I was a little struck down when I found out it was normal and it's how it's going to be.... Anyway I got over myself and now I'm dealing with it fine. I mention this everyday but im so glad for plastic underwear, it stops any smell 100% and I'm glad it exists.
        Sorry for the overly long post... It might have some typos

Comment

• That's exciting mia! Will you be staying in University housing with a roomie? I'm glad you're getting back at it. I've said it before, but you're one of the toughest people I have ever met (even if our meeting is via the internet!).

Comment

That's exciting mia! Will you be staying in University housing with a roomie? I'm glad you're getting back at it. I've said it before, but you're one of the toughest people I have ever met (even if our meeting is via the internet!).
            Actually off campus, I found a place and a person to stay with. It's a safe building, and I've gotten to know her and just talked about stuff before I started staying with her. My parents went to the extent of making sure there's a place where they could hire a caretaker in case of some emergency and I'm not able to take care of myself or something, I don't know I doubt I'll need it but anyway. The building is wheelchair accessible which might be useful, I got to know a few people who already attend the same campus so getting to know the place and people.

Also I was introduced to a paraplegic girl, a freshman to sort of help each other out I guess?
            Anyway I should be excited but time is moving so slowly right now.

Comment

• That is so awesome!!! I am super excited for you! A chance to spread your wings and fly.

Comment

That is so awesome!!! I am super excited for you! A chance to spread your wings and fly.
                Thanks, I hope things work out the next few months,

Comment

• Welcome back, Mia. I don't have anything to add to the conversation, just yet.
                  I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
                  Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

• miahere - Me too, for you!!! Will this be your first time living away from home?

Comment

miahere - Me too, for you!!! Will this be your first time living away from home?
                      Nope, when I first started college we were kind of far away from it and we only had 1 car, taking the bus wasn't the easiest thing for me to do cause it meant having to get up really early because my morning routine takes time. Plus there's a fair amount to walk as well, and I can't be accompanied for all that cause my mom also has work and my smaller brother has school so stayed close to campus with a friend. She was actually a really close friend and there were really desperate times when i 'crashed' at her house a few days. Anyway there's not much to get used to, I do everything by myself, changing the briefs are a little more time consuming but it'll be manageable.
                      I do have trouble with stairs, so the less there are the better. One thing I'm not looking forward is the stares. While I can where jeans it makes changing way harder, and since I have very bad balance compared to a normal person it's nearly impossible to change alone. So skirts are my to go clothes, I try to wear knee length or longer skirts, but the prosthetic's give me too much attention which I just don't like that much.... Anyway.

I've have a hard time at school or college because of the bowel accidents which honestly I can't say enough about..... I've never been able to use a bathroom properly..... It's not a common problem for people my age even people who've gone through what I've gone through so there's no manual to how to get stuff done and be happy with how things are.

Comment

• Maxi skirts are so cute and in style right now. And with the right "spanx" or undergarments over your briefs, I can see where you could totally hide both the prosthetics (if you felt the need to) and the undergarments.

Yes, you're dealing with a very unusual circumstance for someone your age. You handle it with such grace and class. I can't say that enough. I'm sure you deal with stares and questions and probably other things even more unsatisfactory than those, but with some time, people will get to know and love you. :-)

Comment

Maxi skirts are so cute and in style right now. And with the right "spanx" or undergarments over your briefs, I can see where you could totally hide both the prosthetics (if you felt the need to) and the undergarments.

Yes, you're dealing with a very unusual circumstance for someone your age. You handle it with such grace and class. I can't say that enough. I'm sure you deal with stares and questions and probably other things even more unsatisfactory than those, but with some time, people will get to know and love you. :-)
                          Yeah, I mean I really like to wear pants, maybe cause I don't wear them at all, I don't know if you have an idea but even my mother thought it would be easy to hide the confidry briefs...... It's just not as easy as you imagine, even I didn't expect it. It's really thick when compared to what I used before, I also use plastic pants which are like smaller Spanx but plastic and it's not body hugging. It feels like adding another layer would be worse? I don't know, I guess I better try it first. Another problem is when skirts are too long it kind of tangles with the prosthetic's, cause my prosthetics don't have the skin like plastic covers. I have to find a good balance, too long it might get caught in the knee joint, too short I'm afraid people might see something. it's funny cause I only cared about my briefs when I became older and became more aware of how other people were.

Right now I have this one piece dress but I feel if I can get it lengthened a bit it would be great. Problem with those types of dresses is I have a very small ahem....chest and it looks weird on some dresses cause there's like nothing there, at least it's cold out and not burning like Florida so everyone covers up
                          I'm so confused with clothing choices honestly....

Another problem with long dresses is that changing in a public toilet which I do encounter often enough gets way more complicated.

You know when I first started high school I made the mistake of wearing baggy shorts because it was by far the easiest at that time, wow out was so out of fashion even at that time....I was so clueless . Skirts have proven to be much more manoeuvrable in. It sucks because the easiest thing to wear is really short shorts which wear to physiotherapy, it is the easiest move around in but embarrassing as hell....It's odd, I've had so much time and I still suck at choosing clothes for me.
                          I need to do some serious shopping, one of my friends have also been insisting that I do.

First week or so it's going to be everyone trying not to stare.... It's kind of funny sometimes, annoying the next.

But you know something happens to people in between college and high school, cause college no one picked on me or was rude in anyway, just let me be in peace, and made more friends than I'm high school so yeah.....

Actually I'm so self conscious and it's all in my head, I go swimming in swim diapers which stick out and show from the swim suite for literally anybody to see. but I do it every week, just need to get that same mentality

Sorry such a long posts, I go on and on sometimes

Comment

• Honestly, I definitely DON'T have a clue. I'm sure in my mind making that coverage is more doable than it truly is. And I also know that things are probably much more noticeable to you than they are to others. I know that's how I am when I have anything I perceive to be a "flaw". I'm so glad that for the most part, people grow up and stop acting like immature brats who pick on others.

I feel like I would be much more concerned with hiding the briefs than hiding the prosthetics. Honestly, if I saw a chick walking around campus (I work at a University) in cute shorts with prosthetic legs showing I would instantly think "Look at that bad*******" I would instantly think of her as brave, courageous, and tougher than I'll ever be.

Adding another undergarment layer may not be desirable. It may also be uncomfortable, but I think trying out something like a pair of spanx (or similar brand) of "boy short" undergarment over the top of your briefs and plastic cover would be worth a try. It MIGHT make you feel very concealed. Lord know they make those spanx (and similar brands) now days strong enough to hide a body in. lol. It WOULD change the dynamics of changing in a public restroom.

Girl.....on the chest thing.....small is in. :-D Seriously, guys these days seem to be into what is more natural whether big or small. Get you a good, reasonable bra with some decent padding/push up and wear it on your dress days so it at least gives the illusion of a chest if that makes you feel more confident. Nothing wrong with that. You're gonna rock whatever outfit you're in regardless. But take your friend up on the offer. Go out and let her help you do some shopping. I'm terrible at picking out clothing for myself. I pick out things that don't flatter my shape. Other people are MUCH better at giving me recommendations on what looks good and what doesn't.

Comment

Honestly, I definitely DON'T have a clue. I'm sure in my mind making that coverage is more doable than it truly is. And I also know that things are probably much more noticeable to you than they are to others. I know that's how I am when I have anything I perceive to be a "flaw". I'm so glad that for the most part, people grow up and stop acting like immature brats who pick on others.

I feel like I would be much more concerned with hiding the briefs than hiding the prosthetics. Honestly, if I saw a chick walking around campus (I work at a University) in cute shorts with prosthetic legs showing I would instantly think "Look at that ************************************************" I would instantly think of her as brave, courageous, and tougher than I'll ever be.

Adding another undergarment layer may not be desirable. It may also be uncomfortable, but I think trying out something like a pair of spanx (or similar brand) of "boy short" undergarment over the top of your briefs and plastic cover would be worth a try. It MIGHT make you feel very concealed. Lord know they make those spanx (and similar brands) now days strong enough to hide a body in. lol. It WOULD change the dynamics of changing in a public restroom.

Girl.....on the chest thing.....small is in. :-D Seriously, guys these days seem to be into what is more natural whether big or small. Get you a good, reasonable bra with some decent padding/push up and wear it on your dress days so it at least gives the illusion of a chest if that makes you feel more confident. Nothing wrong with that. You're gonna rock whatever outfit you're in regardless. But take your friend up on the offer. Go out and let her help you do some shopping. I'm terrible at picking out clothing for myself. I pick out things that don't flatter my shape. Other people are MUCH better at giving me recommendations on what looks good and what doesn't.
                              Yeah, maybe Spanx might help, something which is easy to pull off when I need to. I always wear the plastic pants. It's just like regular underwear except oversized to cover the brief, to prevent any smell/leak. Mostly smell for me since these briefs don't leak for me. Omg smell is such a taboo topic even I don't feel normal talking about it you know? Anyway I have 100% control over at least that so in that sense I'm happy.

Yeah maybe being small doesn't matter much now, but I guess I've always felt a little over conscious of it. There's this one sports bra which is the only size I've found to fit, everything else is seemingly way to big on me. I've realized that it's not that I'm worried about what other people will think, more about what I think.

Yeah, just add some clothes to my wardrobe, I've got to do it.
                              Though the swimming had got me less scared about people seeing anything. And you're probably right, I want to notice something so I do, but most people don't go examining people.

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

• Have You Ever Done Any Online Dating? - Let's Discuss!

If you've ever done any online dating, you know there are many things that can go wrong. But for some, online dating leads to finding a soulmate. ...

09-17-2019, 11:04 AM By Chrissy M.
                              • Do You Volunteer?

I have done so for many years.

I work at a charity and have been there for over 10 years. I must admit, I love the work. Admittedly, I don't...

09-17-2019, 03:15 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                              • Do You Pluck Your Eyebrows?

I certainly do.

I like the thinner brow look. I have beautiful eyes and feel my brows frame my face. I love having groomed, neat eyebrows....

09-17-2019, 03:08 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                              • Fabulous New Boots!

I very recently bought myself a gorgeous pair of black leather boots. I spent a good 20 minutes making the decision and don't regret it!

09-17-2019, 03:02 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                              • Soon To Have Therapy

I've been in a really mixed-up place lately. So I have spoken to my doctor and she is referring me for counselling. I shall also be seeing a psychologist....

09-17-2019, 02:59 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                              Working...
                              X