Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

coming to terms with what happened

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• coming to terms with what happened

Many of you will remember my story of how I lost my legs due to an infection causing sepsis
    The last week has been life altering in the most horrible way possible my appendix ruptured about a week ago and things became really bad really fast I went into sepsis because of it for the second time in my life unfortunately I lost my arms above the elbow during the emergency surgery when I did go into sepsis the past few days I've been going through every possible emotion in the worst way possible I am currently using speech to text on my phone to be able to type this so excuse the lack of proper punctuation I started walking two days ago and since I did loose my legs above the knee it was hard to stay balanced but I got the hang of it in a couple of hours hopefully when my stumps heal I can get body powered hook prosthetics to regain the ability to do at least some things I have already got a caregiver for stuff I can't do like change my briefs and dressing and most of the stuff but hopefully it'll be less once my prosthetics are here my doctor says that my stumps will heal in a week or so but its now taking longer so I have to wait
    I'm okay with any questions but I might not be able to answer promptly
    The doctors have done more investigations as to why I got sepsis for the second time in my life the last time being when I was smaller when I lost my legs they don't really have a definite answer though

A lot of people die due to sepsis and mortality depends on the ability of the hospitals from brain damage to organ failure to limb loss it can have any effect I personally know a younger girl who lost a limb and her hearing too despite this very few people know of this

• Wow Mia! So sorry to hear this. If not for bad luck, you'd have none at all dear!

Such a fast recovery tho, your doctors must be pleased with this kind of progress in only a week.

Comment

• Mia, my son lost his left lower leg and had the amputation about 6 inches below the knee on June 7th. There is no way that you will be able to/or could take care of dressings etc. on your own. Only a couple of days out and you are already equipped with speech to text technology - I'm amazed. The stumps will take at least 6 weeks to heal the incisions, reduce the nerve neuropathy and be fitted with a prosthetic. The stumps have to go through compression fittings, fittings for the sleeve that encompasses the stumps plus several weeks to months of physio and fittings prior to being fitted with a final prosthetic. My son is almost one month on, healing well and ahead of schedule. They are talking about a trial prosthetic in a week or two, there is no way you could be as far along as you say you are. I'm calling bull ********t on this post. Sorry if I offend you, but just sign me one that A) is a nurse, B) work on a critical care ward with lots of amputees and C) the mother of a person currently going through this.
      That which we forget may as well never really happened.

Comment

• That's heartbreaking, Mia. Let us know how things progress for you. I'm hoping they go well. Stay positive.
        "Those sowing seed with tears
        Will reap with a joyful shout." - Psalm 126

Comment

• Mia, you are getting prosthetics for which limbs?
          I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
          Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

• Claret this feels unfare since i know whatever Im.going through at the moment but i.understand whatever sceptisism you have since this is the internet so Im going to avoid clashing with you my doctor said it is possible for me to recover fully by a week and maybe i misunderstood that but i doubt it although i would never claim to know whatever a person is going through people can post lies yes but even the if it happens to be true you might end up hurting someone Im not going to let you comment depress me or anything but.it has discouraged me a little

Comment

• I was curious about something. Space backspace no that didn't work. I've never typed a message using my speech technology. This is my first time. It's just a regular iPhone. Stay positive Mayer. That's supposed to be Mia. I've had plenty of accusations against me on the Internet. People saying things about me that are not true. Even recently on this site some member say negative things about me. This should be a nurturing environment so I can be a little discouraging. But you're doing the right thing by staying positive and not doing the same thing in return. Keep up the good work. This whole message was Joe just from speech.
              "Those sowing seed with tears
              Will reap with a joyful shout." - Psalm 126

Comment

• Originally posted by Stillness View Post
                I was curious about something. Space backspace no that didn't work. I've never typed a message using my speech technology. This is my first time. It's just a regular iPhone. Stay positive Mayer. That's supposed to be Mia. I've had plenty of accusations against me on the Internet. People saying things about me that are not true. Even recently on this site some member say negative things about me. This should be a nurturing environment so I can be a little discouraging. But you're doing the right thing by staying positive and not doing the same thing in return. Keep up the good work. This whole message was Joe just from speech.
                I have an android phone so I have to move back and fourth from the speech to text keyboard to the regular one which is annoying and slowly there is a backspace button on the screen so thats good
                the space is already on the screen though
                I've been given my fair share of insults/accusations but when someone is going through some stuff It's better not to speculate.

Comment

• Mia
                  so sorry for what you are going through, once again

Claret
                  must be tough going through this with your son

definitely seems life is so unfair, for you both to suffer this way

Comment

• How are you feeling miahere?
                    "Be what you're looking for."

Comment

• Originally posted by Beautiful Disaster View Post
                      How are you feeling miahere?
                      I'm still dealing with some pain but medically I guess I'm good for now
                      emotionally it's a bumpy ride

I started to walk again with some help hopefully I will eventually be able to walk without assistance
                      anyway I feel really tired a lot so I need time to get some strength back

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

• U2 Feedback

I love U2: I checked out their website. I think some of the members were rude about U2: which was totally unfair. U2 produce great music and those insults...

09-09-2019, 09:57 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                      • Diagnosis on Netflix

There are only 7 episodes, but I found this to be such an informative, interesting and eye-opening show. I was truly captivated by it and wanted to recommend...

09-05-2019, 07:43 AM By Ashlee T.
                      • Is it weird that I'm addicted to giving BJs?

I know this is probably going to sound like a windup but it's a genuine question. And a warning to fellas: any comment along the lines of "come give...

09-04-2019, 06:05 PM By GillBlack
                      • High Fat, High Carbohydrate, High Protein – Which Works Best?

When I was struggling to continue my progress last year, a couple of good friends started suggesting that I figure out my “macros” and “reduce carbs.”...

09-04-2019, 12:24 AM By Stillness
                      • Hurricane Dorian devastation

I watched some videos from hurricane Dorian last night. I hope our members or readers in the Carribean are safe.

And I suppose our members...

09-03-2019, 07:42 AM By atskitty2
                      Working...
                      X