Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Owning a gun, gun control.....

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• Owning a gun, gun control.....

I may sound naive to American Folk but I must say, the idea that anyone can walk around with a gun scares me big time to the point I'm reluctant to visit America. Call me naive, I don't care but can someone explain to me what it's like to walk around going about your day knowing the person next to you might have a gun - which is fine I guess, but say they are mentally unstable or have other issues. It really freaks me out.

• I've felt safest in many places with high gun ownership. I have felt much less safe where gun ownership by criminal elements have been high but gun ownership by good people (who are the majority) is low due to laws. I would be just as concerned about bad neighborhoods in Europe as I am about the same in the USA. From knowledge from a Brazilian boss, l would be concerned for my safety in many parts of Brazil. I have read that the situation in Venezuela is desperate.
    I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
    Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

• Guns in the hands of irresponsible, unscrupulous people are terrifying.
      Guns in the hands of skilled, knowledgeable and respectful handlers is very comforting to me. I grew up with guns around. I've been around people that I didn't trust with guns, and also people that I have been pleased to know are carrying.
      That's not to say that I necessarily like guns, but they have their proper place. I'm respectful enough to be a little fearful of them, and I'm making plans to learn to use one more comfortably.
      I understand how it must seem for you Romy. The violence in our country and in the world can be really scary. I think a fear of the unknown is natural.

Comment

• sadly so many tragedies happen at workplaces now

Comment

• speaking of guns, did anyone see Grey's Anatomy this week where a person came into ER and a gun went off and shot the person in next bed?

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

• Do You Volunteer?

I have done so for many years.

I work at a charity and have been there for over 10 years. I must admit, I love the work. Admittedly, I don't...

Today, 03:15 AM By Popcorn&Candy
          • Do You Pluck Your Eyebrows?

I certainly do.

I like the thinner brow look. I have beautiful eyes and feel my brows frame my face. I love having groomed, neat eyebrows....

Today, 03:08 AM By Popcorn&Candy
          • Fabulous New Boots!

I very recently bought myself a gorgeous pair of black leather boots. I spent a good 20 minutes making the decision and don't regret it!

Today, 03:02 AM By Popcorn&Candy
          • Soon To Have Therapy

I've been in a really mixed-up place lately. So I have spoken to my doctor and she is referring me for counselling. I shall also be seeing a psychologist....

Today, 02:59 AM By Popcorn&Candy
          • Do You Play The Postcode Lottery?

I do! Although I have not won anything yet. Still, it is worth the chance of winning some money.

What about you? What are your reasons for...

Today, 02:53 AM By Popcorn&Candy

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

• Do You Volunteer?

I have done so for many years.

I work at a charity and have been there for over 10 years. I must admit, I love the work. Admittedly, I don't...

Today, 03:15 AM By Popcorn&Candy
          • Do You Pluck Your Eyebrows?

I certainly do.

I like the thinner brow look. I have beautiful eyes and feel my brows frame my face. I love having groomed, neat eyebrows....

Today, 03:08 AM By Popcorn&Candy
          • Fabulous New Boots!

I very recently bought myself a gorgeous pair of black leather boots. I spent a good 20 minutes making the decision and don't regret it!

Today, 03:02 AM By Popcorn&Candy
          • Soon To Have Therapy

I've been in a really mixed-up place lately. So I have spoken to my doctor and she is referring me for counselling. I shall also be seeing a psychologist....

Today, 02:59 AM By Popcorn&Candy
          • Do You Play The Postcode Lottery?

I do! Although I have not won anything yet. Still, it is worth the chance of winning some money.

What about you? What are your reasons for...

Today, 02:53 AM By Popcorn&Candy
          Working...
          X