Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Am I Still Okay?

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• Am I Still Okay?

I was diagnosed with Strep Throat on Saturday. Every day since then has been hard for me. I have no energy to go into detail. Now my throat is almost fully recovered, but my body refuses energy. It’s been 8 days. I am so tired of laying in bed. I also am so hungry right now, but I will feel like I’m dragging myself to make a meal. Am I still okay?

P.S.,

I am still going to reply to my other threads. I just need time.

• To get rid of strep throat, you would be prescribed strong antibiotics. Those antibiotics can leave you with a lack of energy. A half a year ago, the reaction from strong antibiotics lasted more than a month.

I have a caution against use of Ciprofloxacin written on my medical chart due to a bad reaction several years ago. I was lethargic and essentially starved myself. The HMO thought that I may have had a heart attack and gave me a EKG. It was negative but my electrolytes were off. I would go to my doctor if I were you.
    I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
    Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

• Did they give you any other meds along with the abx? Drugs can do great things when we need them to, but Strep is serious, and it takes some serious meds to beat it, so between the bacteria and the drugs, you're probably just wiped out. I'd still suggest you call your doc's office, or the pharmacist to chat about drug side effects and such.

Comment

• Originally posted by jns View Post
        To get rid of strep throat, you would be prescribed strong antibiotics. Those antibiotics can leave you with a lack of energy. A half a year ago, the reaction from strong antibiotics lasted more than a month.

I have a caution against use of Ciprofloxacin written on my medical chart due to a bad reaction several years ago. I was lethargic and essentially starved myself. The HMO thought that I may have had a heart attack and gave me a EKG. It was negative but my electrolytes were off. I would go to my doctor if I were you.
        Oh, okay. They also gave me a 4-day, once-a-day steroid and while taking pain medication also and not being able to eat much because of my throat, I have been feeling like total crap. I ended up in the emergency room again in a mental health crisis, due, in part, to lots of other things going on while I have been sick. I have definitely been feeling lethargic and incredibly hungry. I only ate an hour ago and I already feel hungry again. Thanks for informing me about your experience. I didn't know antibiotics would do that.

Comment

• Originally posted by atskitty2 View Post
          Did they give you any other meds along with the abx? Drugs can do great things when we need them to, but Strep is serious, and it takes some serious meds to beat it, so between the bacteria and the drugs, you're probably just wiped out. I'd still suggest you call your doc's office, or the pharmacist to chat about drug side effects and such.
          Yes, a steroid. The doctor even warned me that the steroid could cause me to feel very emotional. I was so sick that I didn't think about it. Now I know not to take those again.

Comment

• Originally posted by JupiterGirl View Post

Yes, a steroid. The doctor even warned me that the steroid could cause me to feel very emotional. I was so sick that I didn't think about it. Now I know not to take those again.
            Take properly prescribed drugs but know of the possible side effects so you can get the prescription changed if needed. Keep track of your own response to various medications. Know what dosing levels you can handle without problems. Not everybody reacts the same. Know how you react.

Steroids will reduce inflammation so it was probably given to help you swallow.

Oral antibiotics ,especially strong ones, can and do kill gut bacteria. You might think that is good. The good bacteria in our gut help with food digestion. They do not harm us and actually help us. I have read that dried feces contain about 70% dead bacteria. Bacteria that harm us sometimes colonize our gut and cause us to become sick. Antibiotics can kill them but they also kill the good bacteria, so after the problem is cured a period of time occurs before there are sufficient good bacteria to efficiently aid in food digestion.
            I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
            Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

• Originally posted by jns View Post

Take properly prescribed drugs but know of the possible side effects so you can get the prescription changed if needed. Keep track of your own response to various medications. Know what dosing levels you can handle without problems. Not everybody reacts the same. Know how you react.

Steroids will reduce inflammation so it was probably given to help you swallow.

Oral antibiotics ,especially strong ones, can and do kill gut bacteria. You might think that is good. The good bacteria in our gut help with food digestion. They do not harm us and actually help us. I have read that dried feces contain about 70% dead bacteria. Bacteria that harm us sometimes colonize our gut and cause us to become sick. Antibiotics can kill them but they also kill the good bacteria, so after the problem is cured a period of time occurs before there are sufficient good bacteria to efficiently aid in food digestion.
              I will. Okay. It definitely sounds like a negative reaction to the antibiotics. I'm so glad I know this now.

Comment

• I don't know much about your illness, but I second everyone's advice.

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
                X