Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would You Be Able To Live Your Life Without A Computer?

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• Would You Be Able To Live Your Life Without A Computer?

Hopefully no one on here will ever have to decide that. But, if you did, how would you cope? It'd be awful. Because this is on my computer:

1. I keep my accounts up-to-date
    2. I have a food diary
    3. I have my journal on my PC
    4. I have Internet Banking
    5. I have forums such as this
    6. I use Facebook ALL the time
    7. I could not function without Pinterest
    8. I love Cupcakes & Cashmere website
    9. I pay all my bills via Internet Banking
    10. I have my creative writing stored on WORD on my computer
    11. I have my books being sold online
    12. I could not live without YouTube

Having a computer is so, so important. I could not live without mine.

• yes I could

1) none of our accts are managed online
    2) if I kept a food diary, it would be on paper
    3) all my journals/writing/ poems are in journal books/paper
    4) no way would we do internet banking
    5) 2 forums that I was a member of for yrs vanished and although it was difficult to lose them, I've recovered,lol
    6) not on FB or any other social media like Instagram
    7) not on pinterest, either
    8) although do use realtor.com, could still find houses for sale as they still print realtor books where we live
    9) write all our bills by check & mail ….my job since married so can't give that up
    10) all my writing is in journals or stored in folders in filing cabinet
    11) when a chapter of mine was published in a book, that fulfilled my desire to be published (book wise)
    12) only use youtube to listen to songs but if it vanished, have purchased songs on my ipad and am a big radio person
    radio's on whenever in car

Comment

• I would've liked to have read your post too, amy40. I hope you're able to post another.

I look forward to reading your next post.

Comment

• basically my post was the complete opposite of yours, lol
        love paper, writing long hand, and holding books in my hand
        and since the internet is like mailing a postcard, don't trust to do anything financial or important on it
        fighting it all tooth and nail!

Comment

• The internet makes a lot of things easy for me. I remember the days of sending in payments by mail and having them not processed in a reasonable amount of time. I prefer having most of them set up to automatically be paid. What is interesting about internet banking is that a person committing cyber fraud does not need for you to have an internet account. They will set one up for you and do what they want. If you had one and kept up with it, you could possibly stop problems before they got too bad. I hope everyone pulls a credit report every so often to make sure nothing bad is on it. Also, having anti-virus protection is required for a secure computer as well as some basics like not clicking on links in emails unless you are absolutely certain the email is not a threat.
          I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
          Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

• Yeah, it makes things easier and of course, things like social media are great for connecting and entertainment.

But if we'd never had them, we wouldn't miss them.

Comment

• I would REALLY miss how resourceful I can be with the help of the internet. I could live quite easily without a computer, but living without the internet these days would be a detriment. I can do without the social interaction, but I use internet resources daily to help me with things. I can do much more myself, as opposed to paying for it to be done, thanks to the internet.

Sidenote: amy40 and anyone else who is interested - if the sites spam filter flags one of your posts you should not worry. One of the site admins will see it and approve it. The spam filter helps to weed out ALOT of spam, so if it catches a non-spam post now and then by mistake it is no big deal.
              "Be what you're looking for."

Comment

• Originally posted by Ashlee T. View Post
                Sidenote: amy40 and anyone else who is interested - if the sites spam filter flags one of your posts you should not worry. One of the site admins will see it and approve it. The spam filter helps to weed out ALOT of spam, so if it catches a non-spam post now and then by mistake it is no big deal.
                amy40, I approved your post after reading it. It may have been flagged due to the style of the list it contained. It did have one dot com web name that might have caused it to be flagged even without a hyper link.
                I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
                Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

• It is interesting to read all your responses on using the computer. There are many points-of-view. I assume there are millions of people who do cope without a computer, but - personally speaking - I could not. Because all my work is online and I need to have the convenience of Internet Banking and the suchlike. Having instant access to all my accounts is essential for the work I do.

Anyhow, everyone has a right to do things their way. I am glad to have started this thread, because people all have their own opinions and thoughts about how they use their computer.

I look forward to reading more points-of-view!

Comment

• Would You Be Able To Live Your Life Without A Computer?
                    Why would I want to!

But I hope everyone has a backup of their data (just in case the computer goes to that big motherboard in the sky).
                    Summer suggested reading: Josette Sona's free book: Woman to Women.

Comment

• I always back up my data. I have considered the cloud, but have not signed up. Still, it is an option.

I also hope to never have to go without a computer: I can not function and do my work without one. It is one of the most useful technologies of the 21st century and future centuries.

This computer age has advanced the world so far: we have things no one could've dreamed about years ago. It is something to appreciate and consider. And it isn't just the workplace: it is the globe and homes that need the Internet and all the functions computing brings.

I could go on forever, but I feel these points are valid.

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
                      X