Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vaginal Burning - What Could it Be?

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• Vaginal Burning - What Could it Be?

I am unsure what to do or where to go. I'm on the computer at 3 AM trying to find answers. I'v been to the doctor a zillion times, yeast-free, bacteria-free, not clamydia, not gonarreaha, not AIDS or herpes or crabs. Been experiencing vaginal burning for months with no relief. I've tried the difulcan pill, yeast creams (otc and prescription), AD ointment, probiotics, falgyl (for what they thought could be BV-not)... and so many others. Still have a lingering soreness. I have dealing with this for so long that depression, insomnia, shakes and horrible thoughts are entering my life. Doctors are now telling me to try otc cortizone cream and gave me a prescription for a stronger cream if that doesn't help. I'm using the otc cream now, no releif. Also was diagonosed with thrush in my mouth over a month ago that I've been treating. Seems to be getting better but won't go away. Don't know if that is connected, but it's just something else I'm dealing with. Any idea why I feel so horrible?

• Hi,
    I have been experiencing similar problem for 2 months now. It first started with kidney infection. After antibiotics the infection was gone but the constant vaginal burning remained. I thought I had yeast infection and went to see my doc, who prescribed me flagyl (she thought I had bv) and some yeast treatment creams. When my test results came back it did turn out that I had yeast detected, however the medication did not take the burning away. So I went to another doc, who took a wet mount and said she saw some clue cells. I was again prescribed antibiotic (vaginal cream). It's been two days but the burning is still there. I am getting very desperate and paranoid and I feel this thing will never go away. Are you feeling any better? Have you see some more doctors?

Comment

• SunTerbe, are you still having this problem 2 years later? Like you, my problem started with antibiotics and your experience is, sadly, the exact same thing I am going through. I am experiencing terrible anxiety and depression from this. Can you please tell me if you are healthy now and, if so, how long recovery took? I am desperate for answers!

Comment

• Need help, I was hoping to find someone with some answers here as well. I have been surfing around the internet desperately looking for a "cure" or at least some ideas on what is going on with me. My story is similar to SunTerbe's. Just lots of doctors visits but no relief from burning, irritation, redness and discomfort. Are your symptoms the same?

Comment

• Maybe it's a yeast infection..Have you tried getting some of that over the counter medication?
          sigpic☮“I am convinced that the women of the world, united without any regard for national or racial dimensions, can become a most powerful force for international peace and brotherhood.”☮

Comment

• basketcase-
            I wish it was a yeast infection. That seems way more manageable then whatever I do have. I have been treated for bv, then yeast, then Strep B, and now back to yeast. Nothing seems to help. This is miserable.

Comment

• Answersplz- my problem started with a UTI for which I took 2 antibiotis back to back. During the antibiotic treatment, I started having vaginal pain, and I have now had it for about a month. Cultures are clear, no STD, no yeast, no BV. The antibiotics have caused this burning, and no medication has helped. I'm desperate for ansers and so depressed over this. Would really like to hear from SunTerbe to see if her symptoms have gone away or gotten better. It's terrible, isn't it?

Comment

• Answersplz- how long have you been suffering from this? Did your problem start with antibiotic use as well?

Comment

• I have had burning since a UTI a year ago, I've been tested for everything and have nothing so they've given me the "diagnosis" of vulvodynia which is probably what you have. It literally means pain in the vulva that they can't explain. I've been trying a variety of things to help it but nothing has worked except some pain medication, try searching for vulvodynia and see if that sounds like your symptoms. It commonly starts after an infection of some kind like a UTI.

Comment

• Sarah, thank you! I did some research today on vulvodynia and it does fit my symptoms. Not a good possible diagnosis, but it's better than having no clue! I've also gathered that some treatments work for some people and don't work for others. Have your symptoms remained the same over the months you've been suffering, or do they get better/worse form month to month?

Comment

• Sarah, was also wondering which antibiotic you took for the UTI when all of this started???

Comment

• I took Trimethoprim but I don't think it makes a difference which one it is, vulvodynia usually starts with an infection then when the initial infection has gone the burning and soreness remain for some reason but most doctors keep treating for infection for ages afterwards before they realise it isn't an infection anymore, I was treated for yeast for a few months and I didn't have it so it didn't help. There's lots of theories out there as to why this happens but they don't know for sure. Your best bet is to start looking up vulvodynia and the suggestions for it, once infections are ruled out the next step is usually a steroid cream to rule out skin conditions then pain medication to reduce the pain felt and pelvic floor testing to see if the pelvic floor is in spasm. Vulvodynia patients often have a very tight unstable pelvic floor (I have) and that makes things worse because it doesn't allow the toxins to get pumped away from the area.

Comment

• Ok well I don't know if this helps or not, but I feel like that only after sex, I never have any problems before but it was recent. It would feel like the top of my vagina area was burning and I don't want to sit down cause I get anxious and annoyed then i get mad. Before I ever have the burning feeling, I used to have frequest UTIs which was ruining my life. I would also get it after sex, or the next morning. There is a thread on how to cure that part. But I recently told my bf bout it and asked him if we could slow it down for a bit to see if it will heal itself and will be ok. He also bought me cranberry pills. Which I take everyday. seems to be working with UTI. Since I'm on my period we haven't had sex, but last time I did i felt a little burning, but it went a way pretty quick maybe because i took to cranberry pills. So this is happening slowly for me, I'm not sure if the cranberry is helping or not, oh also I started to use lube. which helps the burning...

Idk if this is the same with you guys but i too been having the burning. (after sex only though)

Comment

• I've been having the same issues for about a year now, and I have no idea what's going on...doctors think I'm crazy. I've been to several doctors several times, but everything comes up clear - no yeast, bacteria, or STDs. It doesn't bother me constantly, but there are days when I just have this burning feeling and I hate it. Sex is often painful, and sometimes I bleed afterwards. I only noticed this problem when I started having sex with my current boyfriend - painful sex has NEVER happened to me before. No UTIs, no antibiotics...I don't know why this has started happening and it really, really bothers me.

I'm at my wits end here. If anyone has any answers, please let me know.

EDIT: I should also add that all my Pap smears always come back completely normal.

Comment

• Yeah I don 't understand it either, don't mean to be updating ppl about my sex life, but from my previous reply at the time i didn't have sex to often since i was spotting a bit cause im on the 'shot' birth control.. do you guys think it may have to do with that?? . and i've been taking the cranberry pills. seems to be working for UTI very well if anyone is interested to try. but sex hurt. I had to jump off the bed. and usually running a pretty warm water in the shower really help... I have no clue what to do. I think i might try lubricant and see if it helps. this have never ever happen before and i've been with my bf for almost 2 years... anyone else with the problem? solution? Want to have great sex again. but this is crazy!
                              Last edited by Em x; 03-01-2011, 02:11 AM.

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
                              X