Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could this be a cure for Chronic Bacterial Vaginosis? (No Gimmick, Really Simple)

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• Could this be a cure for Chronic Bacterial Vaginosis? (No Gimmick, Really Simple)

Ok....I have been struggling with BV for around a year now. It has been an off an on thing for me. It seems to mainly occur after me and my bf have sex. I would go to the doctor, she would prescribe me Flagyl for 7 days. It would clear up, and stay away, until we had sex again. After numerous doctor visits she told me that the bv was probably due to him ejaculating in me. She explained to me that semen throws off a womans ph balance. So I had my bf stop cumming inside of me, but that still did not stop the BV from coming. I was becoming so frusterated and it was so embarassing to have to explain to him what was going on with my body. Whenever I had the infamous "smell" I would not want to have sex and I would wear pantyliners all the time to dry and mask some of the smell. I would always have a lot of discharge as well. And with the antibiotics a yeast infections would arise. BV was ruining my life. But the good thing is, I have a bf who is understanding.

So I started typing in info online to see if I could find any other alternatives. I tried the apple cider vinegar. It didn't work. Boric Acid, burned. I even tried Rephresh which is great, but It only worked for so long. My body became immune to it. I began to read about acidophilous and how it can help restore the healthy bacteria in the vagina.(Since BV is and overgrowth of the bad bacteria). I bought a cheap bottle of Acidophilous from CVS. It was like 4.99. It worked for a day, and then the BV got worse. So then I came across a message board that recommended Acidophilus. But it was a specific strand. Reuteri!! Lactilobus(I don;t know if I spelled it correctly) Reuteri is closely associated with the flora in the female vagina. Even more so than plain Lactilobus Acidophilus. One capsule is 5 billion grams or something. L. Reuteri is one of the main ingredients. So I went to a health food store and I purchased Primadophilis Reuteri. It was 35.00 but well worth it. I took the capsule when I got home and within hours the smelly discharge was gone. It has been 5 days and no discharge yet. I even had sex with my bf. I have been taking a pill everyday, since it recommends taking it for 7 days for optimal intestinal health. I don't know if I have to take it everyday for the rest of my life or whenever I have sex but so far so good. I am going to finish the 7 days and then stop and only take it after sex. I am soooo relieved. I will keep everyone update on my progress or if my BV comes back.

BUT PRIMADOPHILUS RUETERI IS something every woman should try who has suffered from reccurent B.V

• You Too!

Your post was very interesting to me because for one, we are going through the same issues. I cannot stand that "infamous smell". It makes me feel so nasty and filthy even when I know I am clean. I have taken 1 day pills and vagina creams and still bv pops back up. My bf releases in me as well, but I was not aware that it could be the cause of me repeatedly getting this annoying infection. I know my doctor is about sick of me coming in whinning about a vagina infection. I am really health conscious and any little thing wrong with my body bothers me. I think I am going to try this Rueteri you are speaking about. Thanks so much for being so candid and honest with your post. You just never know who is experiencing the same things you are.

Comment

• How Do you Know

So what are the affects of this infection? I have been having some discharge white and it has a weird ordor to it also. Now I have been with my boyfriend for nine years, and we have 3 children. He cheated on me once that I know of for sure and gave me chlamydia. Now I'm a bit scared and I don't know if thats what it is this time around. I don't know if hes cheated on me again since, the first and last time I know of was six years ago. So could it be possible that I may just have that bacterial infection? I'm still being cautious though, I don't want to be ignorant and think that he couldn't have cheated on me again. So what are the usual signs for this infection? What kind of discharge is it? I don' itch or anything, I just have this weird ordor and some discharge, I also have HPV so I'm not sure if it may have anything to do with that. I had leep procedure a few years back, also one last thing sometimes during sex I bleed a little, now I know there may be other reasons, since I've had this problem before, and my doctor told me it could be because my boyfriend is a little rough, or because I'm sensitive down there. So please respond back.

Comment

• primadolphilus

Lesspearl is this still working and how often do you have to use it? I have this same problem and this just started in the last year. I am actually thinking Im allergic to the chlorine in the city water. I moved into town and I am relating this to after a hot bath or hot tub. I used to take hot baths at my country home and never a problem and had the same partner. I know heat can bring this on but Im thinking maybe the chlorine is throwing my PH off. Im going to also stay out of the tubs for a while to see if it helps.
        thanks
        Originally posted by Lesspearl View Post
        Ok....I have been struggling with BV for around a year now. It has been an off an on thing for me. It seems to mainly occur after me and my bf have sex. I would go to the doctor, she would prescribe me Flagyl for 7 days. It would clear up, and stay away, until we had sex again. After numerous doctor visits she told me that the bv was probably due to him ejaculating in me. She explained to me that semen throws off a womans ph balance. So I had my bf stop cumming inside of me, but that still did not stop the BV from coming. I was becoming so frusterated and it was so embarassing to have to explain to him what was going on with my body. Whenever I had the infamous "smell" I would not want to have sex and I would wear pantyliners all the time to dry and mask some of the smell. I would always have a lot of discharge as well. And with the antibiotics a yeast infections would arise. BV was ruining my life. But the good thing is, I have a bf who is understanding.

So I started typing in info online to see if I could find any other alternatives. I tried the apple cider vinegar. It didn't work. Boric Acid, burned. I even tried Rephresh which is great, but It only worked for so long. My body became immune to it. I began to read about acidophilous and how it can help restore the healthy bacteria in the vagina.(Since BV is and overgrowth of the bad bacteria). I bought a cheap bottle of Acidophilous from CVS. It was like 4.99. It worked for a day, and then the BV got worse. So then I came across a message board that recommended Acidophilus. But it was a specific strand. Reuteri!! Lactilobus(I don;t know if I spelled it correctly) Reuteri is closely associated with the flora in the female vagina. Even more so than plain Lactilobus Acidophilus. One capsule is 5 billion grams or something. L. Reuteri is one of the main ingredients. So I went to a health food store and I purchased Primadophilis Reuteri. It was 35.00 but well worth it. I took the capsule when I got home and within hours the smelly discharge was gone. It has been 5 days and no discharge yet. I even had sex with my bf. I have been taking a pill everyday, since it recommends taking it for 7 days for optimal intestinal health. I don't know if I have to take it everyday for the rest of my life or whenever I have sex but so far so good. I am going to finish the 7 days and then stop and only take it after sex. I am soooo relieved. I will keep everyone update on my progress or if my BV comes back.

BUT PRIMADOPHILUS RUETERI IS something every woman should try who has suffered from reccurent B.V

Comment

• So I went in a bought some of this stuff today. The gal that showed me where it was located said " this is great stuff. I know what your using it for and you will love it. It works great" I did not have to say a word about my problem. Im am praying it works. I am also going to stay out of the hot tubs and baths. I love my hot baths but I think its a reaction to the Chlorine in the water. Would make sense. Will keep everyone posted. Thank God I have a very understanding boyfriend.

Comment

• YAY im not alone

Im so happy that I found this sight to see that im not the only person in the world to be having these issues. I have been suffering from Chronic BV Since I was about 22 years old. I am now 27. Iv been two 3 doctors for this problem and none of them have been able to help me. They give me pills and gels and creams and none of them have ever worked for even one day!!! Nothing i change or try has ever helped me. Everything infects me. Soap, baths, pools, tampons, condoms sex. This last time I went to my new doctor she said that after doing the test i didnt have BV but i had alot of white blood cells in the area still have an oder and still have all the discharge. So im really excited to go out and try this primadophilus reuteri. I just hope it helps me cuz I have no other options at this point. Nothing else has helped me. Im happy to have found ppl who have the same problems as me I dont feel so crazy now!

Comment

• primodolphilus reuteuri (spelling)

Ok, so heres the scoop and my taking on the subject.
              I have done a lot of thinking on when this thing started and started to back track a little. The other day I came from the hot tub and had some discharge and yuck it was smelly fishy as if I just had sex. Well over a week ago i should say. I cried. I had not had sex, no toys, nothing to do this. So this got me to thinking. Now I went on the Flagy pills. I also started the Primo Reuturi. At the same time. The pills this time made me very sick. After 4 days of them I decided to chance it and quit them but continued the PR. I have since stayed out of the hot tub or bath tub. I have had sex twice and I am still odor free. Whoo hoo. Im crossing my fingers. Im now on the PR day 8. I truly believe since the BV is a PH imbalance that it makes sense to me that the chlorinated water in the hottub and bathtub are causing my problem.
              I have never in my life had this issue until I moved to City water. Lots of chlorine. Doesnt this make sense? I have a friend at work with the same problem and she is waiting my results. If I only had one outbreak every 6 mths i would be happy but every 2 weeks now come on.
              I think every woman should try this stuff and stay out of hot tubs and hot baths.

Comment

• Sick To Death Of Bv.....

Has Anyone Heard Of Enzara To Treat Bv....i've Been Searching Trying To Find Something Other Than Metro Gel Or Flagyl....and Came Across This Site, Wondering If Anyone Has Heard Of It Or Tried It......

Comment

• Maybe Hormonal

here is my take...I also suffer from BV. I don't use hot tubs or take baths and not on city water so I can say mine does not come from that. For a while I thought it was my birth control. But now I really think that it is a hormonal thing. Can't say for sure but my bouts are normally around menstuation. With so many women suffering from this we should get together a demand studies for answers and sollutions.

Comment

• your right

So I went on the Primodolphilus and stayed out of hotubs and baths. I was clear for 30 days and felt like an irratation at the vaginal opening like a yeast infection so I backed off on the Primo to every other day. Still ok then I forgot it for 5 days and woke up one morning with the dreaded BV. I took a Primo and within hours it was undercontrol. I am with you that it is now more hormonal yet I do believe that the hottubs flare it up. As do other things. I have been having regular sex 3-4 times a week since starting the primo and the stuff is only costing me $8 a bottle for 30 day supply versus the $60 for the Envara people are talking about. I think I will stick with my Primodolphilus and I have women in my office hooked on it now. So Im confident with it. But what works for one may not for the other I think you have to take it and play with the dosage. Whether its one a day or one a week. Its your body

Comment

• Other Things To Try....

I tried taking Primadophilus Reuteri for a week, but it didn't cure me. So I had to see my dad who does alternative medicine. First he told me that you must open a few of the p. reuteri's, put them in plain yougart and insert it. This is the best way and he said it has worked for all of the women that came in with b.v. (should also swallow them) Also, the use of antibiotics disturb the bodys natural balance, creating an environment in which infectious orgamisms can thrive. So I haven't tried any antibiotics. Vaginits may also be cause by a vitamin B deficiency. Oral contraceptives can produce vaginal inflammation. I have been on them for years, but recently switched back to my old ones. I doubt that has anything to do with my problem. Here are other things to try from your health food store, one or the other may not be the cure, but they are all good for you regardless. I hope someone benefits from this post cause I have had this problem for a week and it is the worst thing ever. Can't imagine having it for years. Will let you know if I run accross anything else.

Biotin - inhibits yeast

Essential fatty acids - Aids in healing

Garlic - has antifungal properties

Vitamin B comples - sometimes deficient if women with vaginitis

Colloidal silver - A broad-spectrun antibiotic that subdues inflammation and promotes healing

Add 3 cups of pure apple cider vinegar to bath water and soak for 20 minutes allowing water to flow into vagina.

You can douche with infusions made from antiseptic herbs such as echinacea, garlic, goldenseal (may be the best) , st. johnswort, calendual, tea tree oil (the topical kind) Echinacea and Goldenseal can be taken orally.

You should eat plain yogurt, brown rice, oat bran, sugar and yeast free foods. Avoid alcohol, chocolate, fermented foods, dried fruits, acidic fruits, ham, wheat (I don't know why on any of these)

Comment

• thanks for the info

Thank you so much for the info. I will keep this in mind next time I have a BV infection. Although I am surprised to hear that apple cider vinegar did not work for you because it works wonders for me. Maybe it was the way you took it? Because ingesting A.C.V. won't cure BV but if you dip a tampon in a diluted batch of A.C.V. and stick the tampon inside you for an hour it completely clears it up for me. I dilute 1 tablespoon in 4 ounces of water, dip a tampon and insert and this works immediately. I read that the reason why using vinegar in this fashion works is because gardnerella, the bacteria that causes BV, grows in an alkaline environment. Our vaginas are more acidic so when our vaginas PH goes more alkaline this allows the bacteria to grow. Organic Apple Cider Vinegar is acidic and there fore returns the vagina to it's original acidic state thereby killing the gardnerella. I use probiotics like the one you mentioned for yeast infections but one miracle I found recently was garlic! If you take one clove of garlic and cut some slits in it to release the alanin and insert it over night, at least 8 hours, it will completely destroy yeast. And every baker knows that you never add garlic to bread before it has risen because it will stop the yeast from rising the bread and it is the same for yeast infections! Garlic with probiotics is the cure for yeast infections. I couldn't believe it when i tried it how amazing it worked!

Comment

• I hate bv

I Have Had this problem for about a year now and i have continously gone to the doctor and taken that horrible medicine they give me that messes up my taste buds and makes me want to throw up everytime it touches my tounge, bathing, soaps, sex, lotions are all the cause of my bv and it drives me crazy and its crazy how much my boyfriend is understanding i was embarresed to say something cause i thought it was a bad std but after doing research its crazy how common it is so i opened up to him about it well i had to because i couldnt have sex with him numerous times because it would hurt so bad i would cry even standing at times would hurt me so much, i appreciate all the information you all have put up im currently in the process of using distilled vinegar in my bath and putting it in my vaginal area and eating yogaurt so i as well will let you all know how it works out

Comment

• Originally posted by katyleegee View Post
                            I Have Had this problem for about a year now and i have continously gone to the doctor and taken that horrible medicine they give me that messes up my taste buds and makes me want to throw up everytime it touches my tounge, bathing, soaps, sex, lotions are all the cause of my bv and it drives me crazy and its crazy how much my boyfriend is understanding i was embarresed to say something cause i thought it was a bad std but after doing research its crazy how common it is so i opened up to him about it well i had to because i couldnt have sex with him numerous times because it would hurt so bad i would cry even standing at times would hurt me so much, i appreciate all the information you all have put up im currently in the process of using distilled vinegar in my bath and putting it in my vaginal area and eating yogaurt so i as well will let you all know how it works out
                            Yes, please keep in touch on these boards katyleegee. I've been dealing with BV for over a year and a half. No clue what brought it on, but it sure as heck isn't going away! So frustrating! Have you been put on long term flagyl or something? What all have you tried to get rid of it? I've been put on Clindamycin cream for 6 months and I'm about 4 months in and see 0 improvement =/

Comment

• I followed the common advice I saw on 10 different forums on this of hydrogen peroxide application and acidophilus (found in probiotic yogurts or pills). This is day 2 and am amazed the smell is totally gone. Still a bit of discharge but I read that's normal and will go away.

Recipe to fight and possibly terminate BV:

-Eat 2 capsules of acidophilus (make sure it has a lot of strains and Esp. "L. Casei") a day until symptoms are gone.
                              - take about 1/3 cup of boiled water and cool it off (just put it in fridge for 15 mins) and add 1/3 cup hydrogen peroxide. Now what I did because I didn't have an applicator was I soaked a tampon in the solution and inserted that in my vagina. What this will do is create an acidic environment for the good bacteria (the ones in your probiotic capsules meaning the acidophilus ) to grow the bad bacteria which is causing the smells don't survive in acidic environment they need alkaline environments.
                              - I also took one of the acidophilus capsules and opened it and after removing the tampon inserted the capsule just a little and contorted my body so the powder would go into my vaginal cavity. This will cause good bacteria growth in there. Remember these capsules have live bacteria so they multiply and don't be scared those bacteria already exist in you even in your digestive tract but it's just a matter if having enough of them. Some people just put plain yogurt up there but make sure it's probiotic yogurt. Not all yogurt has live cultures. But I think it's enough to eat the capsules and to apply a bit of the powder slight in the vaginal cavity

So I have only did all the above once and noticed a significant difference. I don't know how I got BV. I'm not sexually active and extremely clean. I even wash with water after I go to the washroom. Im very particular about smells and never had any smells down there so I instantly noticed the change and started researching. Ladies the above remedy worked for me and a lot of women so try it before harsh pharmaceuticals. BV is not very risky and can really happen to anyone do don't worry you are not alone.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
                              X