Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UTI from Group B Strep....should I be worried???

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• UTI from Group B Strep....should I be worried???

Hi Everyone- I am new here. I just got a call from my doc after having routine bloodwork that I have a UTI that is from Group B Strep. She called in a prescription and that was it! Should I be worried? I am not pregnant. All the web pages i have found said only people who are pregnant or who have weakened immune systems get UTIs from Strep B. Any thoughts?? I am soo freaked out! I have no symptoms!

• Not 1 reply?? I guess I should go somewhere eles! :-(

Not 1 reply?

Comment

• It is pretty common, the drugs should take care of it.
      There are those who believe that dictionaries should not merely reflect the times but also protect English from the mindless assaults of the trendy.

Comment

• I too am not pregnant and was recently diagnosed with a strep b uti. I was worried since everything you read says there is usually an underlying condition that is causing the infection. Normally if you have strep b in your body it usually does not cause an infection. However, if your immune system is weakened then the strep b has the potential of building up without your body fighting it off thus causing the infection. I know that doctors don't know too much about this. I decided to get in to my doctor for a full work up. All my blood work was good and urine was good after I got rid of the infection. I then went to the urologist and he did a cystoscopy on me where he goes into my bladder through my urethra to check for any abnormalities. He found a bunch of polyps in my urethra that had to be surgically removed. This is likely the reason the strep b was able to cause the uti. I suggest a complete work-up to find any diseases that could be compromising your immune system, or be checked for any abnormalities of the urinary system. It could take a while to figure out why, but I believe there is a reason to getting these kinds of infections. Best of luck to you!

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
        X