Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HPV spreading to different areas of the body

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• HPV spreading to different areas of the body

So, I recently found out I have HPV. My boyfriend didn't know, I guess, because apparently there is no test to detect it in men. My pap smear said I didn't have cancer, and I don't have genital warts or anything like that. So, hopefully I just have one of the many strains that don't cause symptoms and go away within a year or so.

But, I was wondering if anyone knew if HPV can spread to different areas of my body? Like, let's say I touched myself and then licked my finger. Can I spread it to my mouth? I mean, there are no warts and nothing visible, no symptoms, so I don't know if there's even anything to spread, but I am just being super cautious.

• Yes genital herpes (HSV-2) can infect the face. Cold sores which are another type of herpes (HSV-!) can also infect the genitals if you do oral while you have them. However it can't survive there. You will only get one outbreak and then it will be gone. Whereas when herpes is in it's preferred living spot it goes dormant in a portion of the spinal column after an outbreak. Causing the potential for repeat outbreaks. It can also infect other areas and a common example is dentists that didn't wear gloves would sometimes get infected fingers. See this wiki section

Herpes whitlow is a painful infection that typically affects the fingers or thumbs. On occasion, infection occurs on the toes or on the nail cuticle. Individuals that participate in contact sports such as wrestling, rugby, and soccer sometimes acquire a condition caused by HSV-1 known as herpes gladiatorum, scrumpox, wrestler’s herpes, or mat herpes, which presents as skin ulceration on the face, ears, and neck. Symptoms include fever, headache, sore throat and swollen glands. It occasionally affects the eyes or eyelids.
    That stuff can get everywhere and the version that causes cold sores is actually worse than the version that causes genital herpes but we don't see cold sores as that bad and freak over genital herpes. Maybe because we are infected with HSV-1 as children and then our immune system mostly takes care of it unless we have bad luck while HSV-2 is contracted as an adult and we get to see the results. It's estimated 80% of the US population will have herpes before they die and half won't even know it.

Comment

• Originally posted by kira View Post
      Yes genital herpes (HSV-2) can infect the face. Cold sores which are another type of herpes (HSV-!) can also infect the genitals if you do oral while you have them. However it can't survive there. You will only get one outbreak and then it will be gone. Whereas when herpes is in it's preferred living spot it goes dormant in a portion of the spinal column after an outbreak. Causing the potential for repeat outbreaks. It can also infect other areas and a common example is dentists that didn't wear gloves would sometimes get infected fingers. See this wiki section

That stuff can get everywhere and the version that causes cold sores is actually worse than the version that causes genital herpes but we don't see cold sores as that bad and freak over genital herpes. Maybe because we are infected with HSV-1 as children and then our immune system mostly takes care of it unless we have bad luck while HSV-2 is contracted as an adult and we get to see the results. It's estimated 80% of the US population will have herpes before they die and half won't even know it.
      I don't have herpes, I have HPV. That's human papillomavirus. It's a different virus from HSV, and there is a way to detect that in males, unlike with HPV.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
      X