Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hysterectomy Advice

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• Hysterectomy Advice

I am a 40 year old female done having children. My doctor recently did a vaginal ultrasound since I was complaining about heavier, longer periods than normal with extreme cramping and migraines. She says my ovaries looked fine but my uterus is too enlarged and is concerned with my family history of colon cancer increasing my risk of female cancers. I am nervous about a hysterectomy. And, if I do decide, what type of hysterectomy is best? Any advice from the forum users?

• When you know you were never going to have any more children, then the uterus should just disappear. That's what happens when you have a hysterectomy and as far as I'm concerned it was the best day of my life. Yes, there is some pain and discomfort, but afterward, nothing, no period, no bloating, no accidents, no worrying about pregnancy. Best day of my life. I had the traditional "smile" and this is probably very very safe but the recovery is longer than if you have an vaginal hysterectomy. However the vaginal hysterectomy can come with their own problems (and my sister bled quite a bit after hers) but the recovery time is much shorter.

Discuss it all with your doctor and surgeon and make an informed decision.
    That which we forget may as well never really happened.

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
    X