Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Abnormal pap but no HPV?

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• Abnormal pap but no HPV?

I just got a message from my doctor saying my pap came back showing "a few atypical cells." I tested negative for HPV. My doctor says there is no need for further action at this point and that we will just repeat the pap in a year.

Why, if I'm showing atypical cells, would follow-up not be necessary for a full year? If there were a concern for cancer, I'm assuming they'd want to see me back sooner. So if that's not a concern, and it's not HPV, what are some reasons I would be getting atypical results?

• The atypical cells is pretty common with paps. I have got one too. The doctor did some other test as well to make sure it wasn't anything serious. It was all part of the annual exam. It was a long time ago, but I do remember having a conversation with a gynecologists and they said it happens all the time and unless something else is abnormal, nothing to worry about. If you are concerned, ask the doctor.
    Freedom is just another word for nothing left to lose - Kris Kristofferson and Fred Foster (sung by Janis Joplin)

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
    X