• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Worried

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Worried

My last 3 cycles have been different to usual. My period has always lasted 7 days but lately is lasting 8-10 days. I’m also experiencing more discharge than usual between periods with spotting on and off from my period ending until after ovulation. I also have lower backache frequently.
    I’m a virgin and haven’t had a pap smear (after attending to have my first smear at 25 I was basically laughed at for being a virgin and told it wasn’t needed).
    I’m now embarrassed to see my Dr.
    Are my changes normal?

The pap smear is recommended every three to five years in the USA per Wikipedia. It also said that it isn't performed on women who haven't had sexual activity in other countries.

Is your doctor doing any investigation into your symptoms? If not, is it possible to change doctors?
    I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
    Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

I'm sorry you were treated so poorly by the doctor in that office. Please don't be discouraged by that, and seek help elsewhere. Perhaps ask when scheduling what their standards are, and if pre-sexual gynecological care is given.

Some medical practices have different protocol they follow for beginning pap smears and pelvic exams.

Our periods can change throughout the course of our life. The frequency and duration, the symptoms and effects can change quite a bit. Nothing you're describing sounds alarming, but you should be evaluated and under the care of a good physician regardless, to be sure nothing more is going on, or to address it should it become more bothersome.

Comment

Originally posted by A.M View Post
        I’m a virgin and haven’t had a pap smear (after attending to have my first smear at 25 I was basically laughed at for being a virgin and told it wasn’t needed).
        I’m now embarrassed to see my Dr.
        A} Find another doctor;
        B) File a complaint with your local medical board; behavior like that is so far beyond acceptable that there's not a word for it. Well, there is, but this is polite society.

Comment

Working...
        X