Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Group b strep with symptoms, please help

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• Group b strep with symptoms, please help

Hello,

I’m wondering if anyone has had similar and can offer me a glimmer of hope. I’ve had a mystery vaginal infection for 7 months now, straight after taking antibiotics and using scented sanitary towels (big mistake, I know).
    Had so many swabs done and the only thing that ever comes back is group b strep, +++. Taken penicillin for 10 days and swabbed the next week, and numbers were still just as high.

Most medical professionals believe that group b strep can’t cause symptoms, as it usually doesn’t. However, it can, just very rarely. I’m unfortunately one of those unlucky few.

The only time I feel ok is during my period. The rest of the time, it’s always burning or itching to varying degrees, but after my period is the worst.

I’ve just started taking clindamycin vaginal cream incase it’s Desquamative vaginitis. I’m on day 2 and no change at all yet.

Has anyone dealt with this? I feel so alone with it and just need to hold on to any hope that maybe I will get better It’s really affecting my mental health and I don’t know how much more of this I can take.

• Have you tried taking a daily probiotic?
    "Be what you're looking for."

Comment

• Hello Daisy!
      What are your symptoms, specifically?

I'm fighting what I believe to be GBS as well, so I'm interested in your worst symptoms. I'm menopausal, so, this really threw my team for a loop, and I've seen now 4 experienced CNP's and docs, looking for solid answers. Still have none, but this is the best we've come up with.

GBS can normally be found in our vaginal canals, but we can have an overgrowth that causes problems. This is typically not an issue unless pregnant, as I understand it. And yes, unfortunately it is common belief that we should be asymptomatic with even overgrowth.
      What is your vaginal pH? Have you checked it, or has your provider told you during any of these exams? Other than the stress caused by this problem, what is your stress and lifestyle like? How about your diet?

https://www.womens-health.com/boards...-and-bv-issues
      Last edited by atskitty2; 05-03-2019, 09:41 AM.

Comment

• Thank you so much for the replies!

I’ve tried a daily probiotic and it made no difference...I should probably start back up. I took specific ones for vaginal health.

My symptoms started with itching at vaginal entrance and lots of weird yellow dischage. This then progressed to soreness and burning, with redness at vagina entrance and just below, and also on insides of my labia minora. They also are a bit ‘puffy.’

My Ph is too high. Have doctors mentioned a treatment for you?

Comment

• Oh and my stress levels are AWFUL! Right before this happened, I was probably more stressed than I ever was in my entire life. I had a skin procedure done which brought me out in horrific, all over my face severe acne. Took 3 different antibiotics over the course of a month and a half to get it under control.

I do wonder if the stress also had something to do with it. Are you also stressed?

Comment

• Usually Group B strep which is found in the Vagina and Anal areas (internally) cause no problems and the person is said to be "colonized". In other cases it can cause no end of problems from discharge, odor and can be passed back and forth to babies which are born by direct contact during birth. If you are pregnant or think you will be in the future make sure you inform your medical team. Treatment for strep effects is usually is a strong antibiotic.
            Antibiotics cancure infections due to groupB strep. However, approximately 4% of infected nonpregnant adults will have a second infection within the next year. It is possible that these people have a weakened immune system that puts them at risk for recurrent infection.
            That which we forget may as well never really happened.

Comment

• Daisy1986 did you read the link I posted to the other thread?
              I followed the conventional medical treatment, which failed several times. After throwing away about $1200 out of pocket, and still miserable after 5 months, I decided to take the approach I did, and I am finally getting some relief. It's been slow going, but it is definitely clearing up.

Yes, stress has been increased for a couple months prior to this starting, and it's continued. As Claret mentioned, I do have a weakened immune system as well, so I was prime for this to happen I guess.

My approach has been to correct the pH imbalance, so that the right bacteria can flourish and contain the problem-causing bacteria. My treatment has been pretty far out there, but it's been so worth it.

Comment

• Originally posted by atskitty2 View Post
                Daisy1986 did you read the link I posted to the other thread?
                I followed the conventional medical treatment, which failed several times. After throwing away about $1200 out of pocket, and still miserable after 5 months, I decided to take the approach I did, and I am finally getting some relief. It's been slow going, but it is definitely clearing up.

Yes, stress has been increased for a couple months prior to this starting, and it's continued. As Claret mentioned, I do have a weakened immune system as well, so I was prime for this to happen I guess.

My approach has been to correct the pH imbalance, so that the right bacteria can flourish and contain the problem-causing bacteria. My treatment has been pretty far out there, but it's been so worth it.
                I can’t find the link!! Can I ask exactly what treating you are using?? Clindamycin isn’t working for me

Comment

• Duh, just found it! I did but couldn’t find a suggested treatment?

Comment

• I think what I am actually doing was in this thread, or in that thread on a different post?

Yes, they gave me more than one course of more than 1 antibiotic, including Clindamycin, over these several months. None helped for more than a day or 2, and the symptoms came back worse than before. I spent probably $1200 out of pocket on visits, meds, tests, etc. I had HAD IT with their theories and stabs in the dark to help me.
                    I finally gave up, did my own research and started my own way. Do some research on how to balance vaginal pH. How to balance pH in the body. I'm relieved to tell you that I now have 2 full weeks of NO symptoms. It took awhile, and a lot of consistent work to get there, but I'm finally symptom free. I'm continuing things for a bit tho, since I don't know for sure what threw my body out of sync to begin with. I don't want to reverse my progress.

Do your research, as there's different ways to do it. I inserted a garlic clove nightly, took fairly high doses of Vitamin C orally, took raw, unfiltered organic diluted ACV (drink it daily), and probiotics. Do some reading, and see what may work for you. I stopped the garlic after a few weeks, when the discharge had completely stopped. I've continued the others, because, well, why not? I've decreased the Vit C, but still take daily.
                    Mind you, I'm not a gynecologist, and I've read that it's not ok to use garlic in this way. But, I decided to go with something different, something kinda crazy to find relief, since conventional medical recommendations were only making me worse. I found other documentation that it's fine to do it. I've had no known ill-effects from it, and I stopped it over 2 wks ago.

Things very gradually improved...over a month or more I think. I wish I'd kept a journal of progress. It took a lot of patience, but I'm really glad I gave it a try.

Comment

• Originally posted by atskitty2 View Post
                      I think what I am actually doing was in this thread, or in that thread on a different post?

Yes, they gave me more than one course of more than 1 antibiotic, including Clindamycin, over these several months. None helped for more than a day or 2, and the symptoms came back worse than before. I spent probably $1200 out of pocket on visits, meds, tests, etc. I had HAD IT with their theories and stabs in the dark to help me.
                      I finally gave up, did my own research and started my own way. Do some research on how to balance vaginal pH. How to balance pH in the body. I'm relieved to tell you that I now have 2 full weeks of NO symptoms. It took awhile, and a lot of consistent work to get there, but I'm finally symptom free. I'm continuing things for a bit tho, since I don't know for sure what threw my body out of sync to begin with. I don't want to reverse my progress.

Do your research, as there's different ways to do it. I inserted a garlic clove nightly, took fairly high doses of Vitamin C orally, took raw, unfiltered organic diluted ACV (drink it daily), and probiotics. Do some reading, and see what may work for you. I stopped the garlic after a few weeks, when the discharge had completely stopped. I've continued the others, because, well, why not? I've decreased the Vit C, but still take daily.
                      Mind you, I'm not a gynecologist, and I've read that it's not ok to use garlic in this way. But, I decided to go with something different, something kinda crazy to find relief, since conventional medical recommendations were only making me worse. I found other documentation that it's fine to do it. I've had no known ill-effects from it, and I stopped it over 2 wks ago.

Things very gradually improved...over a month or more I think. I wish I'd kept a journal of progress. It took a lot of patience, but I'm really glad I gave it a try.
                      One of the known problems with strong antibiotics is their indiscriminate wiping out of good microbes as well as bad microbes, leaving a person vulnerable to a number of problems until there are sufficient good microbes. If the PH, the nutrients available and other conditions are not conducive to having the good microbes win the race of colonization, the bad microbes will be the ones flourishing. The microbes that flourish usually change the local environment to make it more difficult for other types of microbes to flourish.
                      I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
                      Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

• Atskitty2 are you still symptom free? I've been struggling for exactly one year. Had amoxicillin, zithromax and clindamycin to no avail. How did you balance your PH. Can you perhaps list all you did, how and how much in a day as I'd really like to try exactly what you've done. My email address is stoneharbour*yahoo.co.za if you'd like to reply there. Thanks, I'd really appreciate it, I've become desperate

Comment

• Stoneharbour Yes! I am now completely symptom free and have been for over a month. I believe what I did worked.

I have typed it all out in another thread. I posted a link above, or Go to my page and search my responses to find it.

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

• Reply to ***Ladies reaction to men at a nude beach/pool***

The term “business process” is used to describe the organization and structure of interrelated actions of company employees with the only purpose...

Today, 01:51 AM By driiols
                          • Reply to Female pubic hair and sexuality

Last night I didn't notice my g/f hadn't shaved in a while. I wouldn't have noticed if she hadn't of brought it to my attention.

Yesterday, 06:42 PM By WaveRider
                          • Reply to Have You Ever Let A Guy Cum Inside You? Do You Want To? – Discuss

Very recently my g/f told me that she has girlfriends and has known girlfriends who detested/have detested cum. My g/l loves it with the caveat that many...

Yesterday, 06:37 PM By WaveRider
                          • Reply to Next revolution(s)

The extreme materialization of ourselves is expressed by locking our Self into only what the senses perceive. This becomes the only reality. As a result...

Yesterday, 06:25 PM By driiols
                          • Reply to Catching up!

I am so sorry, atskitty2. You're not alone with your grief: you and your mum are going so through much. There is little I can say, but you've got your...

Yesterday, 06:24 PM By driiols

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

• Introduction

Hello Everyone!
                            I am new to this forum.

06-27-2019, 04:40 AM By linakhonde
                          • motivation

can't find the "motivation" post of mine so assuming it was started in past year & gone with rest of my last year posts that vanished mysteriously...

07-13-2019, 11:32 AM By amy40
                          • Author To Check Out

Serena Valentino. She has written for Autumn Publishing:

Fairest Of All
                            Mistress Of All Evil
                            Poor Unfortunate Soul
                            The...

07-18-2019, 08:56 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                          • A Woman Of Substance

By Barbara Taylor Bradford. This book was published in 1981 and is still being read today.

I am on the second chapter and am really enjoying...

07-18-2019, 08:50 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                          • Doing The Laundry And Other Cleaning

Are you a cleaning god/goddess?

I clean my apartment ALL the time. Items get put in the bin, the washing up gets done daily, the laundry...

07-13-2019, 05:12 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                          Working...
                          X