HPV never had sex?

Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HPV never had sex?

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• HPV never had sex?

I'm so confused. I am 34 years old, and had my first pap smear when i was 32 years old. Came out normal.

Just had another pap smear at another doctor, and it came out abnormal, and he states i have HPV. how is this possible???

I have never had sex with anyone. What is going on?

• Did the first test include testing for HPV? It sounds like you should have another test for HPV by another doctor at a different location while not telling them of the prior testing if HPV was tested for during the first PAP smear. Maybe the second test is wrong.

The recommended time between PAP smears is usually 3 to 5 years. Is here a reason for another after two years?

HPV can be passed by skin to skin contact that does not include sex.

If you were infected during the last two years, it is possible your body will eliminate it as that can take up to 4 years.
    I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
    Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

• Originally posted by jns View Post
      Did the first test include testing for HPV? It sounds like you should have another test for HPV by another doctor at a different location while not telling them of the prior testing if HPV was tested for during the first PAP smear. Maybe the second test is wrong.

The recommended time between PAP smears is usually 3 to 5 years. Is here a reason for another after two years?

HPV can be passed by skin to skin contact that does not include sex.

If you were infected during the last two years, it is possible your body will eliminate it as that can take up to 4 years.
      thats the thing, i havent had any kind of skin to skin contact with my genitals with anyone (even without sex.) I also wash my hands before going to the bathroom.

i went to a new gyno. I didnt know you only needed to do one every five years, i thought it was done once a year.
      If i go to my original gyno will they do a pap smear? since it hasnt been five years?

Comment

• Originally posted by terestrife View Post

thats the thing, i havent had any kind of skin to skin contact with my genitals with anyone (even without sex.) I also wash my hands before going to the bathroom.

i went to a new gyno. I didnt know you only needed to do one every five years, i thought it was done once a year.
        If i go to my original gyno will they do a pap smear? since it hasnt been five years?
        Per what I have read, HPV can possibly be passed by open mouth kissing. It can possibly be passed by hand to hand contact although the risk is very, very low unless there cuts present.

I doubt you need another Pap smear. What you need is to confirm HPV. Did your original gyno do a HPV test? If so and a confirmation occurs when tested again, most likely you had skin to skin contact of some sort in the last two years. Otherwise, if no HPV test was done two years ago, you could have had HPV at that time from before.

I am of the opinion that this may be a case of a false positive. Wishing you the best.
        I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
        Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

• Well, unfortunately HPV can be contracted without sexual contact (with someone else, or yourself). Hands-to-genitals is one method of transmission (as is oral sex), but HPV can be found on surfaces in doctor’s offices (exam tables or medical instruments not cleaned properly) or even at the gym (people working out in short shorts, bike seats not wiped off properly between uses).

Still, I would get another test if you’re able. The thing is, while HPV causes most abnormal Pap smears, it doesn’t cause ALL of them. Even a yeast infection and hormonal changes can cause changes in cervical cells (as can other STDs, but that’s likely not the case for you) that will show up in a Pap smear.

It sounds like your Pap test came back abnormal and the doc assumed HPV without actually administering an HPV test? (Usually, Pap test comes back abnormal then an HPV test is performed - that test shows the strain, if there is one.)

I’d take a deep breath, try not to freak out, and schedule an appointment with your regular gyno — explain the situation and hopefully they’ll just do a test so you can know for certain.
          Last edited by Ashlee T.; 08-26-2019, 09:38 AM.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
          X