Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

periomenopause

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• periomenopause

Hi Everyone,
    This is my first day on this site, and I could not have found it at a better time! I have had the year from , attributing it to a move to a new city, a stressful teaching job (which I quit), daughter moving away to go to university . . . the list goes on. I have seen my doctor what seems like on a weekly basis, with symptoms of major anxiety and some depression. After being prescribed how many different antidepressants, both by my doctor and then a psychiatrist (whom I insisted on seeing as my anxiety was not getting any better), my anxiety and overall temperment had not improved to any great degree. My worry and angst about everything ( I just foresaw doom and gloom in the future) increased tenfold as time went on. It was only when my sister questioned me about menopause, did I start reading up on periomenopause and all of it signs and symptoms, and lo and behold, I think this is what I am dealign with. I have so many of the symptoms . . . night sweats (I wake up and my pjs are soaked); anxiety; some depression; mood swings (crying!!!); tingling sensations in arms and hands; irregular periods; . . . the list goes on. So, what I wonder is does HRT work, despite its risks? I am in the process of finding another job, and with the way I feel right now, don't know if I could handle any kind of job. I need something to help me through this period of time as I have found it hellish!
    I see my doctor tomorrow. I am not sure why she did not question periomenopause, but likely because I had suffered a bout of depression about 12 years ago, she likely attributed my symptoms to anxiety and the first signs of depression, all of which I was exhbiting. Anyhow, I will meet with her tomorrow to discuss my symptoms and see what I can do to help alleviate them.
    Looking forward to your responses!
    Teachinggal

• You will continue to suffer from many menopausal symptoms. The best thing you can do is to accept the fact that you body is changing and try to keep a positive outlook. These days doctors do not have the time to listen and deal with each of your symptoms so you need to take a proactive approach. Instead of expecting the doctor to provide you with all the answers, make a list of three or four possible treatments for each symptoms. Then next time you visit your doctor discuss the treatments with her or him. Learning about menopause will on only help you understand what is happening to your body but will also cut down on the number of visits to your doctor.

Comment

• I have hormone deficiencies and have had similar issues . I use Biodentical Hormone Replacement and it has worked great for me. Many of the main stream doctors will not go this route or discuss it as an available option since they are funded by the pharmaceutical companies. There are a lot of good books on the topic and it is definitely worth looking into when making your decision. Exercise also works wonders.

Comment

• Hi, I'm new to the forum and this thread jumped out at me. I went through many of the same things this year and finally got a handle on using natural methods. I worked in healthcare for more than 20 years and grew up with medical professionals, and I am dismayed at how little we discuss perimenopause. The focus is on the cessation of periods but perimenopause can be a bear and many women do not even realize the symptoms they experience are due to this phase of life. Like you, I started having symptoms and didn't immediately tie it to pm. Finally after months of suffering a little light went on and I realized it was pm. By a total fluke I had bought a book two years ago by Ann Louise Gittleman, "Before the Change, Taking Charge of your Perimenopause." I grabbed it off the shelf and there were my symptoms in black and white. I began to work my list through natural solutions - some diet tweaks, supplements - and am happy to report that the depression lifted and I am feeling more like my old self. You do not have to suffer but you do have to be vigilant about finding what works for you - we're all different. I don't have any illnesses, and don't take any medications so am fanatical about beginning with natural solutions and moving up the ladder as needed. Magnesium at night helped me sleep but I no longer need it, Evening Primrose Oil restored my balance. I don't feel 20 but I definitely feel much better than the mopey, sagging sap I'd become :-)

I hope this helps but please check in as I'd love to know how you're doing. I've become so passionate about this issue after my own experience. We're far too silent on this issue.

Comment

• I would love hear more about what you have learned Karen. I too prefer natural methods when ever possible and have found diet to a huge factor in many health issues. I've been fortunate that so far my journey through the change has been pretty easy- my main 'symptom' is being hornier than my usually horny self. But I do want to stay a vital healthy woman and know that my body's balances are changing.

Comment

• Hi Ladies, I'm 43 and in the midst of perimenopause as well. My periods, which have always been clock work, started coming less and less about three years ago. I've never been on the Pill or any other form of birth control (other than the Sponge in the ealry '90's and condoms). As of today, I haven't had a period since December. I see my ob/gyn twice a year. Last July he did a vaginal ultrasound of my ovaries as well as bloodwork. The bloodwork showed regular hormonal levels, the ultrasound showed a "string of pearls", which was later gone when I had another f/u ultrasound six weeks later. So, even though my bloodwork is fine (keep in mind, perimenopause does not alter hormonal levels), and my ovaries are fine, I am still in the midst of perimenopause. The hotflashes are awful. They start near the crown of my hair and just go to the rest of my body. It's awful and uncomfortable, to say the least. I am going to try to whether this storm without HRT. Currently, I am taking Soycare.

Comment

• Wow I posted in the wrong thread about my story, but what you said about the tingling is exactly what I have and doctors just think I'm crazy. Whatever you find out as tips please share. I'm 30 years old. On depo for three years am now off of it and completely screwed up. My estrogen is 936 and i have like no progesterone. I have headaches, beyond moody, tired and always dizzy and tingling in the hands and arms. I need to find something. My doctor is trying to throw me on another BC but I really dont want to do it. I take a natural progesterone losange under the tongue for now. Just reading this has lifted my spirits.

Comment

• Hello, i have never posted on this page before but this topic jumped out at me.
                I am 32 and i have been feeling very different lately. Some hot flashes, i cant sleep thru the night,always tired, moody,dizzy, foggy minded, and many more. I went to see my gyno about 3 weeks ago and he said i had clinical depression and put me on zoloft. I dont like taking meds, i didnt even want to take a fluid pill for my blood pressure, which has shot up in the last 6 months, it used to always run low. I am stressed, 3 kids, hubby,live with my MIL, and me and my hubby attend college. But i DO NOT feel depressed, are these maybe symptoms of perimenopaus? I would love to know and would love some advice on how to deal with this.

Comment

• Originally posted by mommies3 View Post
                  Hello, i have never posted on this page before but this topic jumped out at me.
                  I am 32 and i have been feeling very different lately. Some hot flashes, i cant sleep thru the night,always tired, moody,dizzy, foggy minded, and many more. I went to see my gyno about 3 weeks ago and he said i had clinical depression and put me on zoloft. I dont like taking meds, i didnt even want to take a fluid pill for my blood pressure, which has shot up in the last 6 months, it used to always run low. I am stressed, 3 kids, hubby,live with my MIL, and me and my hubby attend college. But i DO NOT feel depressed, are these maybe symptoms of perimenopaus? I would love to know and would love some advice on how to deal with this.
                  I am 34 and have similar ailments, and was reading these posts, I think I need to visit my doc and find out if this is what is going on?

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

• Any remedy to kill cramps during periods?

I’m 22 years old, and my cramps have always been very bad to the point that I throw up and miss school or practice. Is something wrong with me, because...

Today, 05:40 AM By jehand
                  • Superfetation

Is it possible to conceive again while already pregnant? Check out superfetation. Wikipedia has information about a 2017 case.

Yesterday, 01:11 AM By jns
                  • Introduction

Hello Everyone!
                    I am new to this forum.

06-27-2019, 04:40 AM By linakhonde
                  • motivation

can't find the "motivation" post of mine so assuming it was started in past year & gone with rest of my last year posts that vanished mysteriously...

07-13-2019, 11:32 AM By amy40
                  • Author To Check Out

Serena Valentino. She has written for Autumn Publishing:

Fairest Of All
                    Mistress Of All Evil
                    Poor Unfortunate Soul
                    The...

07-18-2019, 08:56 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                  Working...
                  X