Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Skin itching like crazy...can anyone sympathise?

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• Skin itching like crazy...can anyone sympathise?

Hi, i am new to this group and really hope someone can help. I am 49 and still having regular periods. About 3 months ago i started getting very itchy skin...all over! For some reason it gets worse at night. I can't stop scratching, as that initially offers relief, but obviously doesn't help my skin! I also started getting electric shocks when i touched anything metal. I have no other symptoms. Has anyone else had this kind of problem? Many thanks

• You need to ground yourself. Litterally. Get your shoes off and get outside with your feet touching earth. It needs more than just a few minutes although even that will help.
    You may have developed a sensitivity to some product(s) you are using. Go with unscented laundry detergent, quit using drier sheets (they are largely uneeded anyway) switch to an unscented lotion like Aveeno, back off the perfumes, sprays, harsh cleaning products (baking soda really will do the job and vinegar will disinfect your kitchen better than bleach products). All this should help reduce your reaction.

The itching is actually overstimulated nerves, you can calm them using a type of hydrotherapy. Get in the shower and start warm, then switch to cold - straight cold water, get your whole body nice and eeekkk cold, then switch to hot as you can stand (don't scald yourself). Again, get your whole body (you can do this on a specific area too but the whole body has advantages). At least 15 - 30 seconds of each temp, do a min of 13 changes, ending with cold. This will calm the itching, it will also jump start your immune system, the cold gets you breathing deeply. This process is evigorating and I've gotten rid of colds and other illness by doing just this.

Comment

• Many thanks for your advice WildChild. I have been using unperfumed shower gel and washing powder for a couple of months and they have helped considerably. I do find that my skin feels greatly soothed after a shower, but i haven't tried alternating the heat, as you suggested...i will give this a go! I have always had sensitive skin, but never experienced anything like this before. Some days are better than others and i have been keeping a record of everything i eat, in case its a food allergy. Hopefully it will settle down soon!

Comment

• I suggest that you give up the shower gel and start using a plain soap or gycerin soap. There are so many chemicals in some of these products that its best to keep your sensitive skin away from as many as possible.

Comment

• Thanks, will definitely try the glycerin soap. Have been avoiding body moisturiser as this irritates my skin. Have been drinking plenty of water!

Comment

• Hydrate, hydreate, hydrate as you have been and consider a moisturizer that won't irritate your skin. Call a local dermatologist's office for ideas or even a hospital can provide you with names of products. Even a light oil, like grape seed or sweet almond, rubbed on with a cotton ball may help.

Itchy skin can be caused by an allergic reaction, dryness and/or your environment too.

Comment

• Thanks, Seeker...i'll keep downing the water. I have been using olive oil on my skin, but it doesnt sink in too well! Will try the ones you suggested. Just hope it settles by the summer. Is easier to keep my skin hidden under winter layers!

Comment

• Itchy skin, is an alergy are there lumps of just itcing like WC is thinking dermatitis

Electric shocks often is a nerve impalance, and can be serveral things, all pointing to sensitivity....

You may need a chiropractor to enline your body and if that doesn't work see your Doctor and get advise...

CW
                PUT A LITTLE 'LIKE' IN MY SOUL!

Comment

• Initially my skin was just itchy all over and when i scratched it came up as lots of angry pin prick like bumps which were very sore, but they then scabbed over. My dr prescribed hydrocortisone cream, which cleared it eventually, but i'm now left with tickly skin generally. Its v sensitive when touched and it feels uncomfortable when the bed sheets touch it at night. I have suffered with the odd electrical shock in the past....usually if i'm a passenger in a car..
                  .and when i get out of the car i get shocks! Nothing as bad as the recent episodes tho!

Comment

• Initially my skin was just itchy all over and when i scratched it came up as lots of angry pin prick like bumps which were very sore, but they then scabbed over. My dr prescribed hydrocortisone cream, which cleared it eventually, but i'm now left with tickly skin generally. Its v sensitive when touched and it feels uncomfortable when the bed sheets touch it at night. I have suffered with the odd electrical shock in the past....usually if i'm a passenger in a car..
                    .and when i get out of the car i get shocks! Nothing as bad as the recent episodes tho!

Comment

• Oops, sorry, i appear to have duplicated that!!

Comment

• any itching can drive you to distraction! hope it stoops for you soon!

Comment

• Many thanks, Bec, so do i! My skin seems to be breaking out in nettle rash now and is sore and only slightly itchy at night!! Back to the drawing board!! Hopefully it will clear off soon

Comment

• I can sympathize!

About a year and a half ago I started with an itching in my scalp, that quickly spread over my entire body. It was very itchy, very dry, and made me absolutely miserable. Long story short, after changing everything in my house to non-allergenic and a battery of allergy testing, my dermatologist determined that mine was severe stress reaction. I talked with my psychiatrist, she increased my anti-depressant and gave me an anti-anxiety med and I am doing so very much better. I have a whole bag of creams and lotions to treat the symptons should something start back up. I also know that when the itching starts back up that I had better get a grip on my stress lest it take over.

I sincerely hope you are able to find out what is causing yours.

Comment

• Thanks for sharing your experience, Cynthia. I hope your skin has settled down and you're feeling ok now. My skin has been much better recently...touch wood...after changing my washing powder to Surcare liquid...anything fragranced, or heaven forbid, biological, has me itching like mad again! My skin also suffers when i'm stressed, run down or tired. It breaks out in small stubborn patches of eczema (usually on my shoulders). Pmt can also set it off too. I always carry Bach's Rescue Remedy in my bag. This is excellent for calming you down and i find it helps with panic attacks

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
                              X