Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fear of Flying

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• Fear of Flying

I have this intense fear of flying on an airplane,and the reason why I started this thread is because I feel that hinders my desire to travel the world.

I have been making plans to visit Japan sometime this fall or early next year,but the more and more I think about it, the more I get reminded how scared I am to fly on a plane. I have'nt flown since 2000,which was just a cross country trip from Florida to California. Back then I was a little scared but now for some reason just thoughts of being on an airplane seems dreadful. Especially considering some current events. Hearing about that Air France flight recently just creeps me out...

I don't know what to do about my phobia. The thought of being on an airplane over the ocean makes me have some serious butterflies. Although I really like to go to Japan and check it out. What should I do?

• i have the same problem, do you have other phobias and anxiety issues? my sister is afraid of flying so she takes valium before each plane trip to help her cope. i have also heard that some airports run "fear of flying courses" perhaps thats something you could look into too, i have also heard that hypnosis can be very effective. good luck and please give us an update on how things are going.

Comment

• Xanax... That should help while flying.
      "All the beats and melodies keep realities at bay but what happens when the records done and starts to fade away? Alone within myself again, I try to veil away my pain. The dirty grey surrounding me 'round..... And now I hear no sound."

Comment

• Originally posted by happy ending View Post
        i have the same problem, do you have other phobias and anxiety issues? my sister is afraid of flying so she takes valium before each plane trip to help her cope. i have also heard that some airports run "fear of flying courses" perhaps thats something you could look into too, i have also heard that hypnosis can be very effective. good luck and please give us an update on how things are going.
        I'm embarassed to say but I was diagnosed with Agoraphobia by my doctor a few years ago. At first when I would tell people they would'nt believe me because I guess I seem outgoing at first,but I've been in certain situations that made me realize it was very serious and people have taken that foregranted which have made my condition worse. I go out but not as frequent as i used to.I have anxiety from men especially. I live in a big city and sometimes people can be kinda rude.

Right now I don't know if I can do the trip. I guess I'm trying to prepare myself but flying in an airplane sounds really scary right now. I don't know if taking valium would calm me. I hate having to do drugs just to get through it
        I read it's gonna be a long flight too. I never traveled to another country and the fact that I'm alone and single now
        makes me feel not so confident to do it in the near future.

My mom on the other hand is'nt afraid of flying.When 9/11 happened she took a flight the next week. I asked her how could she not be afraid? And then she told me she's not and she said it was the best time to fly cos everyone was too afraid to fly.I try to be tough like her but I'm not

I'll have to speak with a therapist about this. Xanax or valium is definitely a possibility.

Comment

• I have no idea why you think you need to be "embarrassed" of having Agoraphobia...

We all have something..

I get claustrophobic but I have learnt not to and breathe and let it pass.

Positive affirmations on-going " I am not afraid"....

You could try sleeping tablets, that may also be feasible..

But, best suggestion is pick the known airlines.. I think that the flight that failed, flew too slow, in-experience perhaps.

CW
          PUT A LITTLE 'LIKE' IN MY SOUL!

Comment

• the reason i asked is because i have panic attacks also, i dont like anywhere i cant easily leave, please dont be embarassed, good on you for wanting to tackle it.

Comment

• I think we all have our fears. Personally, I love flying, I fly at least once or twice a year (haven't this year, last year of college so it's been a bit rough here), but my boyfriend has a severe dislike of flying and will only fly if he absoloutly has to. I'm likely to take him on a few vacations, as we've been together a long time and I think he's staying rather indefinately, but I respect his dislike of flying. If it's on the same coast, I'm happy to take a train (something he hasn't done either, and I've promised him a trip). If it's a bit too far for the train, then I'll be sure to get a large enough plane that it shouldn't bother him so much. I love all planes, big and small, but larger planes tend to bounce less, tilt less and generally be a much gentler ride.

My biggest recommendation if you have issues with flying is to take the larger planes. As I said, they're much gentler and it has to be some tough turbulence to wiggle them, and they're much safe overall. If you don't like looking down either, pick a more middle-seat. Boing 777's (and several others) have middle rows in the middle of the aircraft, much like a ship, the middle rows are affected the least by wiggling and turning. I know my boyfriend takes valium before he has to fly, but if I can, I'll cater to this as much as possible to make the ride easier for him. When picking out tickets, you can look up the plane number on the flight tracker website to see details about that exact plane.

Now me, I love those little wiggly planes, but I despise any of the times I've been on valium or an ADD medicine because they felt like they suppressed my outer personality and completely panicked my internal personality.

Even as an adult, I suggest perhaps having a little stuffed animal to bring with you. I do have a little cat stuffed animal (got him for a dollar at Target) who is my good luck charm. I don't ever fly without him.
              And if you want a good air-force superstition my dad ingrained in me, you knock on the outside of the aircraft, gently and discreetly, as you enter and exit. It's like saying "please don't crash" and "thanks for not crashing" respectively. I never, ever, ever board a plane without doing that either. It releases any stress I might have about a flight to abide by that little superstition.
              Last edited by CHANDLERS WISH; 06-16-2009, 06:56 PM. Reason: merge posts

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
              X