Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Depression worsens at night..

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• Depression worsens at night..

has anyone else experienced this? Or knows what causes this? I can be perfectly fine all day but once evening sets in, I fight myself depressed and self loathing. Any answers?
    Dead animals don't equal fashion it equals cruelty

• To be honest I have felt that way before also. I asked myself some questions to try and pinpoint it. Are you a busy person? Have you been let down a lot recently or in the past? Are your goals being achieved? Do you even have any goals anymore? What makes you happy? Are you happy in your life? Were you dumped in a relationship? Were you cheated on? A lot of the self loathing and depression could result from a number of things or it could be from one thing. If you are a successful person and are constantly busy you might feel depressed from the sudden stop when night comes and the time to actually think about your day, past and future. There might be feelings that you suppress during the day coming out at night because it is that time period of unwinding. I

Comment

• Originally posted by sallyskellington View Post
      has anyone else experienced this? Or knows what causes this? I can be perfectly fine all day but once evening sets in, I fight myself depressed and self loathing. Any answers?
      I know how you feel. But lately I'm depressed all the time. I've suffered major losses and sometimes or most of the time it feels agonizing to be alone at night.
      I guess it doesn't help when my bf uses all my weaknesses against me.

Comment

• Maybe your pre-occupied during the day.

I know you like to sometimes have a drink during that day, that's a high but you have to come down from that..

What do you do at night time?

Where is your husband at night time?

CW
        PUT A LITTLE 'LIKE' IN MY SOUL!

Comment

• That's not at all abnormal. Your hormones alter in preparation for sleep. The hormone that keeps you active, outgoing, and motivated is trigged by sunlight. When not exposed to light or your body registers the time of day as your normal sleep schedule then brain activity and the nervous system get lowered which is actually referred to as depressed so you can fall asleep. Entirely normal actually. The fact you feel depressed probably just means your brain is taking it a bit extreme or you have a larger than average difference between daytime and nighttime hormone and neurotransmitter levels. Falling asleep earlier can help or getting light later in to the day (that may interfere with sleep for some people). Also keep alcohol to a minimum. Definitely no more than 1 glass of wine or the equivalent alcohol content in other drinks. It is actually a depressant and in larger amounts will interfere with sleep. Try to find relaxing things to do at night. If it gets extreme then you can see a doctor or psychiatrist. Some things that might work are treatments or low doses of medications for bipolar-levels out the hormones and neurotransmitters, or seasonal effective disorder- increases the hormones normally released during the day that keep you in a better mood. A basic benzo or muscle relaxants can also help but best reserved for extreme cases that interfere with your daily life. No medication is without risks or side effects. Trying to find natural ways to relax will have better long term benefits.

My brain goes through all sorts of weird stages when I stay up all night. I basically cram a year's worth of bipolar activity in to 24hours because my brain doesn't know what to do. It tries to shut down but can't do it enough to sleep so after much crying and possibly some paranoia eventually it gets hyper like a manic episode in order to counter it's excessive attempts at slowing itself down and finally come daylight it levels out to me feeling normal but exhausted. Then I spend moments during the day crashing as my brain again tries to sleep but can't because it's the wrong time of day.

Comment

• kira, it does get extreme at night i guess.. thoughts of going to sleep and not waking up stuff like that. idk maybe its just me. im wierd

Comment

• Maybe your sub-conscious is trying to tell you to slow down there Sal.

I suspect also your on a high during the day, because 7 cups of coffee (haha), man that's alot of caffine then add the alcohol, which also keeps you high and "other stuff", with 2 - 3 only glasses of water, your body is saying nooooooooooo, enough.... as it slows itself down as night approaches..
              PUT A LITTLE 'LIKE' IN MY SOUL!

Comment

• Originally posted by CHANDLERS WISH View Post
                Maybe your sub-conscious is trying to tell you to slow down there Sal.

I suspect also your on a high during the day, because 7 cups of coffee (haha), man that's alot of caffine then add the alcohol, which also keeps you high and "other stuff", with 2 - 3 only glasses of water, your body is saying nooooooooooo, enough.... as it slows itself down as night approaches..
                true. I've started drinking at night and other stuff to now to numb the pain.

Comment

• For me my depression is worst in the morning. It could be that keeping you busy during the day is what keeps you occupied & then you have nothing to do at night.

Comment

• i find i get more extreme moods at night
                    depending on whether im on the up or the down part of the cycle.
                    i think it might well be a combination of lack of light, the fact that general im more isolated at night and the fact that there is nothing to keep you occupied.

the important thing is that you try to keep yourself safe
                    invite somebody over, get the numbers for some helplines
                    i know its difficult.

but i know what you mean x
                    'so why care for these petty obsessions? your designer heart still beats with common blood. and what if you could have genetic perfection? would you change who you are if you could?'

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
                    X