Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lost focus and concentration

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• Lost focus and concentration

Does anyone have any tips for improving concentration and focus? I'm trying to write the literature review for my doctorate, and I cannot focus. So many things are going through my head - predominantly self-doubt and other bad thoughts - that I can't concentrate long enough to string a sentence together.

I've tried music but maybe I'm using the wrong kind. I used to listen to upbeat stuff that drowned out the inner doubt, but that was distracting. I find classical music keeps me calm but doesn't drown out the voices. And then there's stuff like from Glee that I just want to sing along to, which is then further time wasted as I can't stop myself but I also can't work and sing at the same time!

I have a deadline in two days, I'm nowhere near finished it, and my supervisor is slowly becoming exasperated with me, as am I with myself.

Any thoughts gratefully recieved!

PS -and yes other stuff is going on, such as an inevitable break up with my boyfriend, and feeling homesick and missing all my old friends and colleagues as I'm so far away for uni.

• When these odd, distracting or negative thoughts come into your mind try just saying, "thank you for sharing" and letting them go.

Comment

• Meditation

Meditation is a great focal point to clear your brain of unwanted clutter. As you breath in and out, eyes closed in a dark room lit only by candles, repeat over and over the thing you want to focus on. Allow your body to relax and drift to a place where you may work on your doctorate in piece. Once you have found that place and your body and mind have cleared, come back into your own world and get to work.....complete some breathing exercises first to sweeten the transition. Hope this helps
      Love the skin you're in
      Be proud of who you are
      Never allow others to downgrade or discriminate
      Demand love, respect & attention
      Be true to yourself and love YOU first
      With love,
      MissMeSha 810

sigpic

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
      X