Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alcohol and Insanity!

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• Alcohol and Insanity!

I am turning 27 this month, and have been drinking on a daily basis for the past 4-5 years. Usually it's just one drink a day, but on weekends it can be up to 8 or 9....

7 months ago, I broke up with my 7 year boyfriend and began dating my best friend (who i've known for 9 years). I went from the fairy tale no fighting quiet life to a life full of passion, and arguments. My new boyfriend playfully pushes my buttons a lot, and for the most part I'm really good at laughing it off. BUT lately when I get pushed, if i've had a few drinks, i completely and unreasonably flip out. Getting angry is ok, getting upset is fine. But when i'm screaming and crying at him because he made a pms joke or throwing dishes in the sink because he teased me about liking another boy (he knows i love him only) i start to wonder why alcohol brings out the worst in me. I ONLY get this upset when alcohol is involved.

I've looked for information regarding hormonal imbalances, substance abuse, and health related concerns regarding alcohol use. What I wonder is has anyone else ever started reacting emotionally unreasonably after continued use of alcohol for several years? Should I be worried about other issues or if I stop drinking will this go away? Thyroid issues have come up in my family before, and now that i'm 27 I wonder if I should get checked.

I don't even know who to go to - alcoholics anonymous, family doctor, or phsychiatrist.

Anyone got any ideas or similar experiences? Your feedback would be GREATLY appreciated!

• My best guesses as to what's going on here.

He's verbally abusive and emotionally abusive which is very sneaky and underhanded and not overt much of the time like calling you names!
    #2 it's time for AA for you...before you cope with drugs or start binging or blacking out because your drinking is progressing-which is well known to do if not arrested in the disease of alcoholism.
    Conscious Manifesting
    in rainy Oregon

Comment

• I started drinking on a daily basis about 4 years ago.. i was at the end of an emotionally abusive marriage.. and already feeling down and so insecure with absolutely no self esteem. Over the years i have noticed that when i drink.. i am particularly sensitive. Depending on the situation i can also be in a great happy mood.. but then i can just snap over the tiniest thing. i wouldnt say i have depression.. but definately alcohol brings out the worst in me on most occassions, inparticular if im in a new relationship... coz God forbid.. if he says hes gonna call at 8.. and i still havent heard at 8 30.. im thinking of all kinds of reasons why.. affair? a date? talking to someone else? trying to avoid me?.. to the point i almost believe them myself..lol..
      i think alcohol brings out a depressed state.. so the next day.. when u are feeling down again.. you drink again.. thinking its going to help make u smile..but it makes u depressed again .. so u have to drink again.. its a viscious circle that truely needs to be broken..
      good luck.. im tackling it for myself now.. so fingers crossed for the both of us

Comment

• I tend to think Laura is on to something... You have basically admitted that you have a problem which is the first step.. I personally would go talk to a therapist and get their view on things.. I think we have all had tough times and I have found talking to an impartial party really helps me.. Good Luck to You

Comment

• I know you don't want to hear a 16 year old give you advice on this, but I suggest you try and get away from the alcohol. I am a victim of abuse and neglect from an alcoholic father. He drank "a few" beers everyday for as long as I can remember and still does. And at certain points would get into arguments with my mother (then later on in life his new girlfriend), and if he had enough to drink he would hit, then act like nothing happened, and to a 3 or 4 year old its terrfying, even as i got older i was terrified. After my parents divorce he used me to feel like he had power and would keep me from most of my family, but not even take care of me and throw me to his girlfriend so he could go to bars. Luckily I haven't seen or talked to him in 4 or 5 years. I'm not saying this is exactly where you're headed, but alcohol is a depressant, it makes you feel good when your drinking it kind of like a "high" someone gets taking drugs. But on the downside it really affects your mood and control of your mood, also your relationships.

Comment

• My 5 year old is going through this now.

Originally posted by AbsoLoofah View Post
            I know you don't want to hear a 16 year old give you advice on this, but I suggest you try and get away from the alcohol. I am a victim of abuse and neglect from an alcoholic father. He drank "a few" beers everyday for as long as I can remember and still does. And at certain points would get into arguments with my mother (then later on in life his new girlfriend), and if he had enough to drink he would hit, then act like nothing happened, and to a 3 or 4 year old its terrfying, even as i got older i was terrified. After my parents divorce he used me to feel like he had power and would keep me from most of my family, but not even take care of me and throw me to his girlfriend so he could go to bars. Luckily I haven't seen or talked to him in 4 or 5 years. I'm not saying this is exactly where you're headed, but alcohol is a depressant, it makes you feel good when your drinking it kind of like a "high" someone gets taking drugs. But on the downside it really affects your mood and control of your mood, also your relationships.
            How where you in school?

Comment

• Originally posted by lez56th View Post
              How where you in school?
              How was I? If you are meaning me- school was really difficult. It wasn't the academic side- I always had really good grades (and still do now that I am in college), but I hated being there everyday and tried everything to avoid being there. I always wanted to just stay home with my mom. I know it was hard on my mom because she had to deal with me crying or fighting with her every morning. I didn't really have many friends either nor did I have interest in having friends plus I didn't like being around people all day.
              When I started high school I had had enough with school and the kids there so I faked sick the first week and begged my mom to pull me out and home school me.
              I was home schooled until I was 16- so it gave me a needed break from the stress of the whole environment that I hated. Then I started at community college- which was much better for some reason. Very different in a good way and I enjoy going. Now I have no problem with school that I am in college, and I've accomplished a lot since I started when I was 16.

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

• Reply to Naked attention

I always find it interesting how different and similar people are naked. It saddens me when people, especially women have body confidence issues, because...

Today, 01:33 AM By MrMr
              • Fingers

.... Dgh

Today, 01:08 AM By MrMr
              • Reply to PTSD

Hhdhnko

Yesterday, 11:35 PM By MrMr
              • Reply to PTSD

Therapy and the open and willingness to accept charge has changed my life.

??????Helping others is a sensation im sure everyone everyone...

Yesterday, 11:21 PM By MrMr
              • Reply to Which is the best way to decrease weight?

Not a fan of "diets" but lost 1.5 stone in 2 months doing keto. Have viable abs for the first time in ages and actually feel pretty good. I...

Yesterday, 10:26 PM By MrMr

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
              X