Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

5 htp seems to be helping

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• 5 htp seems to be helping

After years of taking a variety of medications to manage my anxiety and having a horrible reaction to Paxil I decided to wean off and never take them again. When I got off, my anxiety came back and it was worse then ever, it took couple months for my mood to level out, but I still felt on edge and paranoid.
    I decided to try a natural route and started taking 5-htp (100 mg, once a day at night). I gotta tell, you, the difference has been quite noticable, I feel a whole lot calmer and at ease, just a mellow state of mind. I noticed less panic attacks when I go out in public and I'm doing a lot better with initiating contact with strangers.

Its worth a shot!

• This is great. I've heard a lot about 5 htp, that it's an amazing way to prop up hormonal "transactions" naturally. It's probably just bringing out the person you already are
    Liz

Comment

• I took 5-htp a couple months ago but didn't give it enough time to really start working. I am going to give it a real shot. I would really rather go with something natural like 5-htp than a perscription anti-depressant or anti anxiety medication.

Have you noticed any impact on your quality of sleep?

Comment

• 5-HTP (5-Hydroxytryptophan) is a chemical by-product of the protein building block L-tryptophan. It is also produced commercially from the seeds of an African plant (Griffonia simplicifolia).

Don’t use 5-HTP until more is known. 5-HTP might be UNSAFE. Some people who have taken it have come down with eosinophilia-myalgia syndrome (EMS), a serious condition involving extreme muscle tenderness (myalgia) and blood abnormalities (eosinophilia). Some people think the EMS might be caused by an accidental ingredient (contaminant) in some 5-HTP products. But there is not enough scientific evidence to know if EMS is caused by 5-HTP, a contaminant, or some other factor. Until more is known, avoid taking 5-HTP.

Some side effects of 5-HTP include heartburn, stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, drowsiness, sexual problems, and muscle problems. 5-HTP is POSSIBLY UNSAFE in pregnancy and breast-feeding. Avoid using it.

Down syndrome: There are reports of 5-HTP causing seizures in some people with Down syndrome. In one group studied, 15% of people with Down syndrome receiving long-term 5-HTP treatment experienced seizures.

5-HTP INTERACTIONS

Medications for depression (Antidepressant drugs) interacts with 5-HTP
        5-HTP increases a brain chemical called serotonin. Some medications for depression also increase serotonin. Taking 5-HTP along with these medications for depression might increase serotonin too much and cause serious side effects including heart problems, shivering, and anxiety. Do not take 5-HTP if you are taking medications for depression.

Some of these medications for depression include fluoxetine (Prozac), paroxetine (Paxil), sertraline (Zoloft), amitriptyline (Elavil), clomipramine (Anafranil), imipramine (Tofranil), and others.

Medications for depression (MAOIs) interacts with 5-HTP
        5-HTP increases a chemical in the brain. This chemical is called serotonin. Some medications used for depression also increase serotonin. Taking 5-HTP with these medications used for depression might cause there to be too much serotonin. This could cause serious side effects including heart problems, shivering, and anxiety.

Some of these medications used for depression include phenelzine (Nardil), tranylcypromine (Parnate), and others.

Carbidopa (Lodosyn) interacts with 5-HTP
        5-HTP can affect the brain. Carbidopa (Lodosyn) can also affect the brain. Taking 5-HTP along with carbidopa can increase the risk of serious side effects including rapid speech, anxiety, aggressiveness, and others.

Dextromethorphan (Robitussin DM, and others) interacts with 5-HTP
        5-HTP can affect a brain chemical called serotonin. Dextromethorphan (Robitussin DM, others) can also affect serotonin. Taking 5-HTP along with dextromethorphan (Robitussin DM, others) might cause too much serotonin in the brain and serious side effects including heart problems, shivering, and anxiety. Do not take 5-HTP if you are taking dextromethorphan (Robitussin DM, and others).

Meperidine (Demerol) interacts with 5-HTP
        5-HTP increases a chemical in the brain called serotonin. Meperidine (Demerol) can also increase serotonin in the brain. Taking 5-HTP along with meperidine (Demerol) might cause too much serotonin in the brain and serious side effects including heart problems, shivering, and anxiety.

Pentazocine (Talwin) interacts with 5-HTP
        5-HTP increases a brain chemical called serotonin. Pentazocine (Talwin) also increases serotonin. Taking 5-HTP along with pentazocine (Talwin) might increase serotonin too much. This could cause serious side effects including heart problems, shivering, and anxiety. Do not take 5-HTP if you are taking pentazocine (Talwin).

Tramadol (Ultram) interacts with 5-HTP
        Tramadol (Ultram) can affect a chemical in the brain called serotonin. 5-HTP can also affect serotonin. Taking 5-HTP along with tramadol (Ultram) might cause too much serotonin in the brain and side effects including confusion, shivering, stiff muscles, and others.

Your body is a temple...treat it accordingly.

If not, at least do some research....

Comment

• Increasing serotonin with serotonin agonists like Prozac or MAOIs can lead to a thing called serotonin storm, also called serotonin toxicity. You do not want that as it is an extreme case of overdose. It can lead to high blood pressure, high heart rate, high amount of confusion, hyperthermia, seizures, and kidney failure.

Basically there is nothing 'natural' about a 5HTP that you buy anywhere. If it comes in a bottle in the store it has been in a lab and filled with chemical fillers...not natural. If you buy it online you can bet it is not even the product you paid for and instead a sugar placebo (because it saves the scammers money to not use real product). If you read somewhere online that it "works fantastic and great!" and there is a flashy link to buy the product right next to it, it is merely a marketing scam through a fake testimonial in order to get people to buy it. Remember that anything 'natural' sold online is going to have a mass of fake advertising and fake testimonials in order to increase their sales anyway they can.
          There are those who believe that dictionaries should not merely reflect the times but also protect English from the mindless assaults of the trendy.

Comment

• nodaybutttoday - I have not noticed any difference in my sleep pattern, some days I have trouble falling asleep if I take a mid-day nap, in those cases I take melatonin which knocks me out pretty quickly (10 mg).

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

• Do You Believe In Kindred Spirits, Soulmates, And Twin Flames? - Discuss!

We hear a lot of talk about finding a soulmate, but did you know there are kindred spirits and twin flames out there also? Maybe you have met yours?...

10-15-2019, 08:43 AM By Alison H.
            • Nice to meet you!

My name's Eileen. It will take awhile before I'm able to find my way around here.

10-15-2019, 02:25 AM By EileenFrazier
            • Hi :)

I am Kayla. I am New Member of this form. I am happy to be a part of this forum.

10-15-2019, 02:22 AM By KaylaGarcia
            • Hello All

Hi everyone,
              I'm quite happy to have found a forum that hopefully will give plenty of advice and insight on all sorts of womanly things; and maybe...

10-15-2019, 02:15 AM By ConnieBlake
            • Hello Everyone

Well my name is Misa. I'm 29 and I'm from New York. I'm a mother to two beautiful little girls and soon a baby boy. I have been married to my husband...

10-15-2019, 01:58 AM By JackMaxwell
            Working...
            X