Worried!

Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Worried!

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• Worried!

Constantly worrying about my heart, heart problems are my biggest fear I'm terrified of the thought of anything wrong with my heart and I think I am causing myself anxiety issues due to this. Which causes my heart to pump harder and faster due to my body releasing adrenaline. My resting heart rate is 88, I'm a 22 year old female 5' 6" 132lbs, So pretty average. I'm always going to the doctors or the hospital thinking something is wrong with me, I had an EKG done and the nurse said everything was fine, x rays on my chest that were perfectly normal, every time I'm at the doctors they tell me my blood pressure is fine and blood tests saying my cholesterol and glucose levels were fine.
    Why am I so worried about this, can someone give me some insight as to why I'm so worried about my body functioning correctly. Any tips and advice will be useful, Thank you!

• Do LOTS of exercising...drink at least three gallons of water every day...and meditate before sleeping. You might have hypochondria I think.

Comment

• You mention in another thread that you have difficulty being apart from your boyfriend.

Have you spoken to your Doctor about the level of your anxiety? It could be that all of this stems from that, as soon as you are anxious your heart exellerates and you get worried about a heart problem.

Mediation and "breathing"deep, in and out, 3 times very slowly will also help..But, I would ascertain if you suffer from anxiety over stress related issues and try to get that under control...

Do you worry about other things as well? Or only your heart. If it's a broad section of things that you worry about then Anaida's opinion may be more in line with the problem at hand.
      PUT A LITTLE 'LIKE' IN MY SOUL!

Comment

• Anxiety causes palpitations, which in their turn cause even more anxiety. The best you can do is have your heart checked, then even if you feel anything odd you'll know it's nothing and it will go away quickly. The thinner you are the more easily you feel your heartbeat and it's common that you'll feel it after dinner, as the heart works the most during digestion.

Comment

• 1959, 4 years old, weight 22 lbs, wore size 2 baby clothes, had the Heart ( size) of an 8 year old in a two year old size ribcage.

Had Experimental Open Heart Surgery, for a PDA Closure
          **Patent ductus arteriosus: Failure for the ductus arteriosus, an arterial shunt in fetal life, to close on schedule.

Before birth, blood pumped from the heart through the pulmonary artery toward the lungs is shunted into the aorta. This arterial shunt is a short vessel called the ductus arteriosus. When the shunt is open, it is said to be patent

The ductus arteriosus usually closes at or shortly after birth, permitting blood from that moment on to course from the heart directly to the lungs. However, if the ductus arteriosus remains open (patent), flow reverses and blood from the aorta is shunted left-to-right into the pulmonary artery and thence recirculated through the lungs.

Patent ductus arteriosus (PDA) is a particularly common problem in premature infants with the respiratory distress syndrome. The left-to-right shunt through the ductus increases their risk of serious complications including brain hemorrhage.

A PDA may close spontaneously (on its own). If not, it needs to be prompted pharmacologically to close and, if that does not work, it must be ligated (tied off) surgically.

In 59, they had no Medicines For closing the Ductus valve.
          I was not expected to live,

But 52 years later... Here I still am .

Surgery was as best as could be done ( for that time ). I have residual " Problems ", Wolfe Parkinson White Syndrome (WPWS),

**What is Wolff (Wolfe)-Parkinson-White Syndrome?

Wolff (Wolfe)-Parkinson-White (WPW) It results from an additional electrical connection between the atria (upper chambers of the heart) and the ventricles (lower chambers of the heart).

This extra or accessory electrical pathway is present in approximately 1.5 people per 1,000 people. It runs in families in less than 1% of cases. In the majority it is completely silent and only detected on a routine ECG.

In a small proportion of patients the extra electrical pathway allows conduction of the electrical pathway generating an electrical circuit which produces a very rapid heart rate.

Most patients tolerate this well but some experience very troublesome palpitations, light-headedness and blackouts.

****** Mitral Valve Prolapse

Mitral valve prolapse (also known as "click murmur syndrome" and "Barlow's syndrome") is the most common heart valve abnormality, affecting five to ten percent of the world population. A normal mitral valve consists of two thin leaflets, located between the left atrium and the left ventricle of the heart. Mitral valve leaflets, shaped like parachutes, are attached to the inner wall of the left ventricle by a series of strings called "chordae." When the ventricles contract, the mitral valve leaflets close snugly and prevent the backflow of blood from the left ventricle into the left atrium. When the ventricles relax, the valves open to allow oxygenated blood from the lungs to fill the left ventricle.

In patients with mitral valve prolapse, the mitral apparatus (valve leaflets and chordae) becomes affected by a process called myxomatous degeneration. In myxomatous degeneration, the structural protein collagen forms abnormally and causes thickening, enlargement, and redundancy of the leaflets and chordae. When the ventricles contract, the redundant leaflets prolapse (flop backwards) into the left atrium, sometimes allowing leakage of blood through the valve opening (mitral regurgitation). When severe, mitral regurgitation can lead to heart failure and abnormal heart rhythms. Most patients are totally unaware of the prolapsing of the mitral valve. Others may experience a number of symptoms discussed below.

The mitral valve prolapse (MVP) syndrome has a strong hereditary tendency, although the exact cause is unknown. Affected family members are often tall, thin, with long arms and fingers, and straight backs. It is seen most commonly in women from 20 to 40 years old, but also occurs in men.
          and PVC and PAC Heart Contractions at times ( Skipped or Added Beats) along with Heart rates up to 217 and down to 55.

If you are truly worried, ask your Regular DR. to send you to a Cardiologist, Get a Echo Cardiogram, ( ECG )

The electrocardiogram (ECG or EKG) is a noninvasive test that is used to reflect underlying heart conditions by measuring the electrical activity of the heart. By positioning leads (electrical sensing devices) on the body in standardized locations, information about many heart conditions can be learned by looking for characteristic patterns on the EKG.

How is an ECG (EKG) performed?

EKG leads are attached to the body while the patient lies flat on a bed or table. Leads are attached to each extremity (four total) and to six pre-defined positions on the front of the chest. A small amount of gel is applied to the skin, which allows the electrical impulses of the heart to be more easily transmitted to the EKG leads. The leads are attached by small suction cups, Velcro straps, or by small adhesive patches attached loosely to the skin. The test takes about five minutes and is painless. In some instances, men may require the shaving of a small amount of chest hair to obtain optimal contact between the leads and the skin.

Get a Cardio Stress Test (CST)

There are many different types of stress tests, including:

**Treadmill stress test: As long as you can walk and have a normal ECG, this is normally the first stress test performed. You walk on a treadmill while being monitored to see how far you walk and if you develop chest pain or changes in your ECG that suggest that your heart is not getting enough blood.
          ** Dobutamine or Adenosine Stress Test: This test is used in people who are unable to exercise. A drug is given to make the heart respond as if the person were exercising. This way the doctor can still determine how the heart responds to stress, but no exercise is required.
          ** Stress echocardiogram: An echocardiogram (often called "echo") is a graphic outline of the heart's movement. A stress echo can accurately visualize the motion of the heart's walls and pumping action when the heart is stressed; it may reveal a lack of blood flow that isn't always apparent on other heart tests.
          ** Nuclear stress test: This test helps to determine which parts of the heart are healthy and function normally and which are not. A small amount of radioactive substance is injected into the patient. Then the doctor uses a special camera to identify the rays emitted from the substance within the body; this produces clear pictures of the heart tissue on a monitor. These pictures are done both at rest and after exercise. Using this technique, a less than normal amount of thallium will be seen in those areas of the heart that have a decreased blood supply.

Get X~rays to see if the Heart is enlarged at all.

If they do a Full work up, you will also get an Angiography which is an x-ray technique where dye is injected into the chambers of your heart or the arteries that lead to your heart (the coronary arteries). The test lets doctors measure the blood flow and blood pressure in the heart chambers and see if the coronary arteries are blocked.

I have learned through the Years when my Heart acts up, to RELAX, Breath Deep and Slow, Grab a Book or watch a TV show, anything to take my mind off of the Heart. Because Panic and Stress are what sets the WPWS and PAC & PVC's Off.

Some Cardio's say to go for a Run or Jog, this re sets the Heart Rhythm to the Exercise mode and when done with the " Run Or Jog" it then should kick back into " Normal " Function. But that doesn't work with me.

I have also noticed that Caffeine, too much of it too soon together, like 5 cups in the morning in an Hour, really sets off the PVC's and PAC's.

What Works ( for me after 52 years since the Surgery ) Is Knowing your Heart, knowing it's Rhythm, Seeing the Cardio when Needed, Understanding that You can CONTROL most of what your Heart Does and why it does it ( other than the natural Beat that keeps you alive .)

Worrying about it, Stressing about it can only Cause Other Problems, You can Slow your Heart rate down, you can Speed it Up, ( Fear and Stress and Anxiety does that well ).

I can't say you are too Young to have Heart Problems, but you need to have the Cardio, check things out. Then Accept the Diagnosis if all's Well, or Follow the Treatment if all is Not well.

If Nothing shows up wrong, Honey, you really do not want to go thru the things I have for 52 years.

So Let Go and Live your life. Your Heart will give out when it is Supposed to, Asking for Problems is not the way to go with Your Body or Mind !!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
          X