CBT for anxiety???

Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CBT for anxiety???

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• CBT for anxiety???

Hi
    I have anxiety and have had for as long as I can remember, however after the birth of my child(3 years ago now) it got much much worse.
    I had a horrendous delivery so I think this may have triggered something in me.
    I am a nervous wreck quite a bit, I still have an element of my humour and do enjoy talking to people but if I have a bad day its really really bad and I have to avoid people.

I want to try and get past this- to date I have had therapy, but I didnt connect with the therapist and couldnt speak honestly so I feel I tiptoed around my issues and insecutities, also I felt I was being judged so i didnt like it,
    and my Dr only wants to prescribe medication which I have refused. Am i silly for this? Should I just give in and give my mind a rest because I am exhausted.
    Every little ache or pain panics me as I will think its something awful! I am generally more jumpy than most people, I am afraid to fly at the moment also as I am too nervous, whereas before I would be going on nice holidays etc so now I feel kinda stuck.
    I know my husband does love me but I imagine theres only so much of that type of stress one can put up it??? and I know I can be a real pain when I am at my worst I get so insecure and ask ridiculous stuff all day - am i ok- do you think this girl is prettier than me .....etc....etc, all total insecure and really draining..
    Not sure if anybody has experienced this but if you have I would appreciate any advice
    Really insecure and a bit down at the moment...todays not a good day.

any advice???
    Last edited by Aiyana25; 10-04-2011, 02:40 AM. Reason: spelling mistake!

• I have experienced bad anxiety also, and what I found to help was medication. I know you refused in the past, but I guess from MY experience it has helped tremendously. I was put on an SSRI antidepressant, which helps a lot of anxiety. I had it because I went off birth control and it made my anxiety spike with the hormone transition. I was successfully weaned off it after 6 months of treatment. Just because you start a med, doesn't mean you have to be on it forever. Anyway, I am not trying to push the subject of meds, but just letting you know what worked for ME in the past. Also, you're not alone. A lot of people feel the same axiety as you!

Comment

• thanks

Thanks for your reply
      I do HATE anxiety and absolutely want to rid my self of it - I too am on 'birth control' but I actually go a bit off the rails when I am not on it as opposed when I am .
      Its very mild the one I am on though so maybe it doesnt affect me I really am not sure.
      If meds is the way then I guess I need to look in to it!
      Coz really somedays feeling so down and insecure you could cry really is no fun....no fun at all.
      thanks for your advice

Comment

• therapy absolutely is great
        but it doesnt work that well if you're too anxious to go to it/work at it/deal with the therapist
        i'd suggest taking the meds for a while so you can really work on it in therapy
        and then you can come off them when you get the hang of the therapy techniques.

xxx
        'so why care for these petty obsessions? your designer heart still beats with common blood. and what if you could have genetic perfection? would you change who you are if you could?'

Comment

• ^As someone who has weaned off of meds several times, I crash. I tell myself I will use the active coping skills (breathing, yoga, etc), but the depression/anxiety can hinder motivation.

Medication helps boost up the serotonin to help you effectively cope. To the OP-you can try CBT first and see how you do. If it's still a problem, consider meds.
          "Dating is like slow dancing. Let the man lead, or you will fall all over your feet"

Comment

• From a personal and a professional perspective, medication and therapy is extremely helpful! I would do the combination and definitely try some behavior modification tools!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
            X