Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the best mediation for generalized anxiety disorder?

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• What is the best mediation for generalized anxiety disorder?

I have been taking zoloft and klonopin for anxiety for a while and I think it is no longer helping enough. I am thinking of switching to a different ssri and ativan (instead of klonopin). Any suggestions on what the best med is for generalized anxiety disorder. Thanks!

• lorazepam works great for me! i've been on it for years & it's the only thing thats ever helped me

Comment

• Vitamin B 8

Hiya. Inositol is one of the B vitamins and B vitamins are good for anxiety and stress.We manufacture our own in our liver in small amounts and excessive coffee can deplete reserves. I have been on Citalopram for two years. It is an SSRI drug. I noticed one of the side effects is anxiety which is in complete contrast to what the drug is prescribed for. I read that many patients have come off their antidepressant after a dose of inositol at 1000 mg a day. It is prescribed for anxiety also. I have also increased my vitamin B 6 (pyridoxine) to 100 mg a day instead of 50 mg. It has only been 4 days and I need to give it longer but I am feeling more calm. Hope this might be some help...Give it time to work.

Comment

• The drugs with SSRI are designed to work on the seretonin levels in the body but some depression can be a simple mineral or vitamin deificiency. If you want to try something new, you have to wean yourself off the old ones first. There could be a period of irritation before the b vitmamins kick but its just part of the weaning off process and the B vitamins take about a week to work. A lack of insoitol could aggravate stress. You will need 1000 mgs a day to get the benfit the antidpressant has given you and I have increased my Vitmin b6 to 2 100 gram tabs 3 times a day.

Comment

• Did you ever try Cymbalta? It is a great medication for both depression and Generalized Anxiety Disorder.

Comment

• Seems like these are questions/concerns you should be discussing in detail with your primary care physician or whoever prescribed your current meds in the first place. You may simply need a dosage adjustment.

I would never advise you to take advice so specific to your well being from a group of strangers in an anonymous forum like this one. Especially advice that suggests you wean yourself off of anything.

If you have concerns about your body's level of this vitamin or that mineral, those can be determined with accurate and scientific sample testing/analysis. Again, be extremely cautious when a perfect stranger suggests you take or do anything.

Your body is a temple...treat it accordingly!

Comment

• Most cases of anxiety disorder can be treated successfully by appropriately trained mental health professionals.
              The best drug for anxiety disorder are Benzodiazepines as a commonly prescribed class of medications for generalized anxiety. Otherwise lithium may also helpful...

Comment

• I agree with the therapy thing. Anxiety can be controlled with the help of cognitive behaviour therapy, combo if needed, with medication. CBT is the best type of counseling! I highly recommend it.

Comment

• Therapy is a key component of treatment for generalized anxiety disorder. Many studies show that therapy is as effective as medication for most people. And best of all, therapy for generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) is side-effect free.The most effective is cognitive-behavioral therapy or CBT

Comment

• Cognitive therapy is the best meditation for GAD.Treatment typically consists of 16 weekly sessions. It is the best psychological treatment for generalised anxiety disorder, at least in the short term.

Comment

• Just prescribed Cymbalta

Originally posted by ItalianSweetie View Post
                      Did you ever try Cymbalta? It is a great medication for both depression and Generalized Anxiety Disorder.
                      Hello there, I have had to give in and ask my GP to give me something to help with uncontrollable anxiety and she has just prescribed Cymbalta, please could you tell me your experience on it? I'm terrified of the side effects. I feel as though I'm loosing it anyway and the idea of feeling worse is frightening!

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

• Pain Management

Dear All,

I am Tim and new to this forum. I really like guiding people on various topics so if you have any advise for me or want an advice...

Today, 04:33 AM By Timf
                      • Abominable Film

I went to see this at the cinema with my sister and was blown away: by the quality of the film, the special effects, the storyline. Definitely one of...

Yesterday, 04:48 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                      • Reply to Healthcare Apps

That sounds like a really good idea, Anya Joe. Keeping track of the calories you're burning must work. To me, I wouldn't use such a device myself, but...

Yesterday, 04:41 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                      • Reply to Hello All

Hi, ConnieBlake. I am a regular member on here and look forward to offering you any advice you might need.

There're loads of people with...

Yesterday, 04:38 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                      • Reply to Nice to meet you!

Welcome to WH! I look forward to reading your posts!

Yesterday, 04:36 AM By Popcorn&Candy

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

• Pain Management

Dear All,

I am Tim and new to this forum. I really like guiding people on various topics so if you have any advise for me or want an advice...

Today, 04:33 AM By Timf
                      • Abominable Film

I went to see this at the cinema with my sister and was blown away: by the quality of the film, the special effects, the storyline. Definitely one of...

Yesterday, 04:48 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                      • Do You Believe In Kindred Spirits, Soulmates, And Twin Flames? - Discuss!

We hear a lot of talk about finding a soulmate, but did you know there are kindred spirits and twin flames out there also? Maybe you have met yours?...

10-15-2019, 08:43 AM By Alison H.
                      • Nice to meet you!

My name's Eileen. It will take awhile before I'm able to find my way around here.

10-15-2019, 02:25 AM By EileenFrazier
                      • Hi :)

I am Kayla. I am New Member of this form. I am happy to be a part of this forum.

10-15-2019, 02:22 AM By KaylaGarcia
                      Working...
                      X