Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Losing my memory

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• Losing my memory

Hi all, lately I have been unable to remember ANYTHING and it's ruining my life. I was at the grocery store yesterday and became disoriented, I completely forgot what I was there for. I literally felt lost and started to become afraid. I had to stop and regain my composure to finish up and get back home. Even little things like putting my cell phone down. I have to call it from another line to find it again. My family is losing their patience with me because they feel like I'm just not paying attention. I'm a 22 year old female and this has been happening for about 2 years now, any thoughts or advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

• have you tried luminosity . talk to a neurologist
    love,
    live life,
    proceed,
    progress

Comment

• We all get a little scatter brained from time to time, but because this is starting to have a detrimental impact on your day to day functioning it sounds like you may want to see a neurologist, or at the very least, your general practioner. You didn't elaborate on your daily activities: family, schooling, work, stress load, etc., which can impact your life.

At any rate, it sounds like you need some sort of intervention to help you. It's heart breaking when family becomes frustrated with you rather than seeking a mean to help you find to root of the problem. But know this, we are here for you, unconditionally. Please keep us updated.

Comment

• Whoa! Slow down.... Catch your breath...

Sounds to me, and I have zero medical training, like you are either 'suffering' from a lot of stress or stressors in your life...school, work, family, romantic life, expectations of self, etc. and/or you 'suffer' from anxiety.

The first thing I would do is make an appointment to see your Primary Care Physician. Make some notes as to thetypes of things that are of concern to you and have a few examples of each written down also. Keep track of everything you eat on a daily basis for at least seven days before you see your physician without lying or cheating about it.

So if you have 7 M&Ms or 7 handfuls of M&Ms...right it down.

Many things, and more and more of them, are being tied to our diets and lack of good solid nutrition.

Your physician cannot help you if you are not completely honest and they can be "rock stars" if you are.

Do you have an outlet for when life gets over whelming? Do you workout? Yoga? Walk in the neighborhood? Anything physical? Everyone needs an outlet...

Comment

• Thank you all for your replies. To answer your questions about stress, YES. I've always been a worrier, but I have a lot on my plate at the moment. I have a 10 month old, and I'm currently living with my husband's family until we can find a place. Finances are a big issue, I never feel comfortable. I am the primary bill payer and shopper (for 6 adults and a baby!) so it definitely gets overwhelming. The grocery store episode really scared me, I felt so elderly (for lack of a better word.) I cannot afford to be so forgetful. I have a PCP that I can visit, he is just a clinic Dr. but hopefully he can point me in the right direction. I'm hoping it's not anything too serious!

Comment

• Based on the above reply, it sounds like you have a lot on your plate quite often. Under those circumstances, ithink many of us might get a little scatter brained from time to time.

Visiting your PCP is a good first step - IMO.

Why is so much put on you? Seems like the regular tasks should be shared equally among the various responsible adults.

Comment

• Lol, I do have a lot going on. My husband's parents have a lot of health issues that slow them down. Sometimes they can't even get out of bed for days. My husband's brother (20) helps run the family business and isn't home much. His sister (18) well... She doesn't like to do much of anything...She just recently got divorced, and mostly hangs out in her pj's when she decides to get up in the afternoon. I've asked her for help around the house, but she is the princess of the castle and refuses to lift a finger. Her parents see nothing wrong with that and say that neither should I. It's up to DH and I to keep the house running. He's a sweetheart but sometimes his moral gets low and he falls into line with them. Hopefully, I can get back on my feet and see what less stress is like. Maybe my mind will come back to me! Lol.

Comment

• Welcome to the Forum

You do have a lot on your plate.

Do you always feel tired after sleeping? No matter how much sleep you get?

Do you feel you can't concentrate on things even if you try?

If so, you may have a sleeping disorder which is creating the memory loss.

This can be caused by bad diet so what is your eating pattern like? And these "junk foods" can create lack of sleep.

If not, also what can be a problem is thyroids.. memory problems are common with problems of the thyroid. A blood test can confirm this for you.

Do you get rashes?
                PUT A LITTLE 'LIKE' IN MY SOUL!

Comment

• No, no rashes. I feel exhausted when I wake up in the morning. I usually get to bed around 4 a.m. - 5 a.m. and up by 9 a.m. I don't feel rested at all. When the alarm goes off I want to curl up back in bed and sleep for days. I get very groggy and try anything to stay awake.

As far as eating habits, my meal is what I cook for dinner that day. I usually don't eat breakfast or lunch, so eating 1 full meal a day with snacks in between. I would definitely not call what I eat healthy or nutritious, we are Greek/Italian so lots of grease, salt, red sauce, fat ect. I never thought that could be the source but it does make sense!
                  I have been tested for thyroids and anemia before with negative results. Could it be anything else? Thank you all again!

Comment

• I think all the members are on the right track then.

A sleep clinic or hospital that may specialize in sleeping problems. You can also try a neurologist who may be able to help you diagnose a sleeping problems.

It's lack of sleep it seems in my opinion based on what you are saying is the key/problem to all of this given everything else is ruled out. Off course stress may be causing the sleeping problem but it is the sleeping problem that is causing the lose of thoughts, you are too tired.
                    PUT A LITTLE 'LIKE' IN MY SOUL!

Comment

• I have memory problems and always feel tired, but my problem is related to my GAD (Genaralized Anxiety Disorder).

Comment

• And add to this the anxiety of the reactions you are getting from others! That will cause worry that will cause more anxiety that will cause you to forget stuff!

Here's my present experience: I am a pastor's assistant. I run the front office of a church. 1-1/2 years ago, they asked me to take on part of the accounting, with a pay raise, then told me that I was to just enter what the treasurer told me to enter. I did -- just doing what he said without reason or explanation on a program I had never even seen before. He left. They handed it all to me right when all the fiscal year-end stuff was due. Then they were upset with me because I didn't know what to do! Wednesday, I worked from 9 am until 5 p.m., trying to learn and make notes regarding what I needed to learn for one process. I spent 7.5 hours in terror, shaking, totally overwhelmed and 30 minutes actually learning the process.

When we are stressed, under pressure, under suspicion, it is very hard to either learn or remember.
                        It's always disappointing when someone lies to me, then I look down, and their pants aren't on fire.

Comment

• You are not alone! I currently have memory issues and I know its due to stress and other things going off in my life.

Get yourself an appointment and get some help. Your diet won't be helping as 1 meal a day isn't going to do you much good.

Comment

• Natural remedies for memmory loss issues

Originally posted by GinGin View Post
                            Hi all, lately I have been unable to remember ANYTHING and it's ruining my life. I was at the grocery store yesterday and became disoriented, I completely forgot what I was there for. I literally felt lost and started to become afraid. I had to stop and regain my composure to finish up and get back home. Even little things like putting my cell phone down. I have to call it from another line to find it again. My family is losing their patience with me because they feel like I'm just not paying attention. I'm a 22 year old female and this has been happening for about 2 years now, any thoughts or advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
                            Here are some natural remedies that could help you prevent, improve and stimulate your memory: What will help memory loss? - WhatWillHelp.com

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

• Have You Ever Done Any Online Dating? - Let's Discuss!

If you've ever done any online dating, you know there are many things that can go wrong. But for some, online dating leads to finding a soulmate. ...

09-17-2019, 11:04 AM By Chrissy M.
                            • Do You Volunteer?

I have done so for many years.

I work at a charity and have been there for over 10 years. I must admit, I love the work. Admittedly, I don't...

09-17-2019, 03:15 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                            • Do You Pluck Your Eyebrows?

I certainly do.

I like the thinner brow look. I have beautiful eyes and feel my brows frame my face. I love having groomed, neat eyebrows....

09-17-2019, 03:08 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                            • Fabulous New Boots!

I very recently bought myself a gorgeous pair of black leather boots. I spent a good 20 minutes making the decision and don't regret it!

09-17-2019, 03:02 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                            • Soon To Have Therapy

I've been in a really mixed-up place lately. So I have spoken to my doctor and she is referring me for counselling. I shall also be seeing a psychologist....

09-17-2019, 02:59 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                            Working...
                            X