Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tired and sick

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• Tired and sick

I am sick and tired of fighting with my weight? I put weight back on as soon as I lose it? I can't live like this anymore...

• That's because you (like most people) view 'weight loss' as a destination rather than a journey, I suspect.

If you set a goal of (for example) "I want to be 20lbs lighter", then you will do what it takes (usually starvation-type diets or other radical strategies that are unsustainable in the long term) to get there and then you will revert back to the exact same eating that got you into the heavy shape you were before.

However, starvation or radical calorie depletion will cause you to lose muscle tissue (even if you exercise) which causes you to have a much slower metabolism. Hence when you go back to your 'regular' eating habits, you will rebound harder and heavier than before in all probability.

Listen, why don't you provide us some more details that we can use to guide you, such as your daily eating habits?

Or are you (like my fiancee does sometimes) just looking for some emotional support rather than actual help? Either way is cool by me, but I'm willing to put some of my time and expertise into helping you (gratis), if that's truly what you want.

I hate to see anyone depressed about their weight, because really is just not that hard to get into good shape - as long as you are prepared to accept that it's not (and never will be) a quick fix. Consistency is the key!

Alex

Comment

• I know exactly how you feel. The only person that can make the change is yourself if you really truly want to make a life style change and loose weight. I was slapped in the face with a personal situation that helped start my weight loss journey/life style change. Healthy eating and working out are the keys. I still have a long way to go but I will never go back to where I was. I decided that I was important and need to put my health first. I made excuses for years but not I get up extra early 4:15 and hit the gym 5 days a week and then again on Saturday with my husband. I am determined to be healthy.

Good Luck to you.

Comment

• Start taking small steps. Cutting out the food you love all together at once won't work. Try cutting out those foods little by little, reduce your intake. Start adding a healthy choice to your meals (add greens to dinners or something similar. Work out when you have the chance to ... such as as work....( if you sit at a desk tighten your muscles i.e.- calves, stomach, butt) even when your watching TV...do the same. Walking can do wonders too... walking! Go for a walk on lunch break if you can. Stretching is also a wonderful thing, it makes you feel much better..couple it with aerobics. Aerobics may seem silly.... I know I thought they were, until I saw how toned it made me (gave me a mini 4 pack). Also, start trying to eat more natural. A LOT of people eat ssoo much processed foods! Its not good for you at all! Take a look at the food labels, study them, they can be very scary. Almonds are a great snack, and good for you too. Water, is plain and has no taste, yes....but add lemon.. REAL lemon...not powered crap they sell in stores. It makes it so much better! Water and lemon. Little steps, along your journey. Also, find a routine and work out that works for YOU. Keep a diary if you need to. Don't be down on yourself...you're trying to better yourself and its never easy, but you're trying and trying is the first step to success.

Comment

• Originally posted by Imjustagirl86 View Post
          Start taking small steps. Cutting out the food you love all together at once won't work. Try cutting out those foods little by little, reduce your intake. Start adding a healthy choice to your meals (add greens to dinners or something similar. Work out when you have the chance to ... such as as work....( if you sit at a desk tighten your muscles i.e.- calves, stomach, butt) even when your watching TV...do the same. Walking can do wonders too... walking! Go for a walk on lunch break if you can. Stretching is also a wonderful thing, it makes you feel much better..couple it with aerobics. Aerobics may seem silly.... I know I thought they were, until I saw how toned it made me (gave me a mini 4 pack). Also, start trying to eat more natural. A LOT of people eat ssoo much processed foods! Its not good for you at all! Take a look at the food labels, study them, they can be very scary. Almonds are a great snack, and good for you too. Water, is plain and has no taste, yes....but add lemon.. REAL lemon...not powered crap they sell in stores. It makes it so much better! Water and lemon. Little steps, along your journey. Also, find a routine and work out that works for YOU. Keep a diary if you need to. Don't be down on yourself...you're trying to better yourself and its never easy, but you're trying and trying is the first step to success.
          This is an excellent post, full of great little tips and strategies that I've been telling my clients for years.

Lemon juice (or lime) in water... clenching butt muscles whilst at work or in the car... lots of veg... cut out processed food... read food labels...eat nuts... find an exercise program that suits YOU... take small steps...

These should be on the 'ten commandments of healthy living'.

Imjustagirl - you rock!

Alex

Comment

• Thanks Alex. I try to offer up what Ive seen, has worked and is working for me.

Also, I want to add to PaulSara, that success is defined by YOU. Dont let anyone else define it or say that you havent succeeded. If you are making improvements, keep chugging forward. Set goals, something to work towards. You must determine where your success will lie, and everyone's time rate on losing weight is different. Don't set your goal to the standard of someone who is 10 years younger than you. Set your goal to be reachable. No one can drop 10 lbs in 4 days, thats insane. Even the smallest improvement could be considered a goal achieved, such as, cutting back on soda or something else not so good. Do good by yourself and do what you feel is best, and your body will thank you by giving you an overall feeling of better health. I know it may sound lame, but I used to have a diet that was total garbage and I never got exercise. So much processed foods, soda, etc. Having seen that I was basically ingesting chemicals, I started to go more natural. It wasnt easy!! I love my soda...but lemon water is tasty as well. I try to keep healthful foods in mind when hungry, and been sticking to it. Also, I started to stretch and lift free weights. I can't lie...it was freakin hard, (still is) but the pay off is, I feel much better overall.

Comment

• Hi All,

Thanks for such a nice and caring ideas. I have joined classes somewhere on phone to get rid of emotional eating. Lets see what will be result.

Cheers

Comment

• Originally posted by Paulsarah View Post
                I am sick and tired of fighting with my weight? I put weight back on as soon as I lose it? I can't live like this anymore...
                Hi paulsarah.. Suggestion.. eating and walking,.. during the day. Avoiding eating ant food before bed. Dance before u go to bed.
                Do stomach suchions,. Walk as soon as u wake up. Avoiding cooking with oils. Eat whole grains/. lots of califlower, cabbage salads,. apples is great to boosting ur motablism when walk,. portion control ur potato sides very little can help hugely,.
                Just burning off ur meals after eat is the factor.
                AND adding fiber veg.s to ur dinners..
                Grits and oatmeal.. o calorie butter spray and calcuim salt to ur oatmeal along with adding water to oatmeal.. Cuts more cholestrol as well. again..suggestion. Hello..

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

• Do You Volunteer?

I have done so for many years.

I work at a charity and have been there for over 10 years. I must admit, I love the work. Admittedly, I don't...

Today, 03:15 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                • Do You Pluck Your Eyebrows?

I certainly do.

I like the thinner brow look. I have beautiful eyes and feel my brows frame my face. I love having groomed, neat eyebrows....

Today, 03:08 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                • Fabulous New Boots!

I very recently bought myself a gorgeous pair of black leather boots. I spent a good 20 minutes making the decision and don't regret it!

Today, 03:02 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                • Soon To Have Therapy

I've been in a really mixed-up place lately. So I have spoken to my doctor and she is referring me for counselling. I shall also be seeing a psychologist....

Today, 02:59 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                • Do You Play The Postcode Lottery?

I do! Although I have not won anything yet. Still, it is worth the chance of winning some money.

What about you? What are your reasons for...

Today, 02:53 AM By Popcorn&Candy

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

• Do You Volunteer?

I have done so for many years.

I work at a charity and have been there for over 10 years. I must admit, I love the work. Admittedly, I don't...

Today, 03:15 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                • Do You Pluck Your Eyebrows?

I certainly do.

I like the thinner brow look. I have beautiful eyes and feel my brows frame my face. I love having groomed, neat eyebrows....

Today, 03:08 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                • Fabulous New Boots!

I very recently bought myself a gorgeous pair of black leather boots. I spent a good 20 minutes making the decision and don't regret it!

Today, 03:02 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                • Soon To Have Therapy

I've been in a really mixed-up place lately. So I have spoken to my doctor and she is referring me for counselling. I shall also be seeing a psychologist....

Today, 02:59 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                • Do You Play The Postcode Lottery?

I do! Although I have not won anything yet. Still, it is worth the chance of winning some money.

What about you? What are your reasons for...

Today, 02:53 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                Working...
                X