Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this just "mommy-brain" or something else

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• Is this just "mommy-brain" or something else

Lately I have been a little out of it. Forgetting to turn the car engine off before getting out, forgetting my home phone, forgetting the password at work, etc. It's like that "mommy-brain" you get after just having a baby except I haven't been like this in years. Nothing major. It all comes back after a few confusing seconds or quickly realizing I forgot to do something. Wondering if this is just a case of "mommy-brain" or something else. Life has been stressful, but when hasn't it. The only support network I have is WH, but that has been my life for years. Should I be concerned?
    Freedom is just another word for nothing left to lose - Kris Kristofferson and Fred Foster (sung by Janis Joplin)

• It happens to us all. My forgetfulness runs in streaks as well and I've never had a child (in the giving birth sense). If you are concerned, there are lots of memory games on line that claim to help keep the mind sharp.
    "The only consistent feature of all of your dissatisfying relationships is you." Despair.com "Dysfunction"

Comment

• Well, I'm not a mommy, but I definitely have this "mommy brain" you describe!

I think it's the stress, honestly. We can only think about so many things, and when days become hectic, or we're under a lot of stress, our brains go a bit "haywire" because they're over capacity.

I don't think you need to be concerned, particularly since you recall within a few seconds what was escaping you. Most likely what you need is some more time to relax your mind.

Can you find some time in your days/week to decompress? Easier said than done, I totally get it. But it's necessary, even if something else needs to be given lower priority in order to allow yourself time to get your bearings.

Comment

• It could just be natural too. lol, I have trouble reading fine print now myself.
        [FONT=Trebuchet MS][COLOR="#800080"][B][SIZE=4]Woman trapped inside a woman's body![/SIZE][/COLOR][/B][/FONT]

Comment

• I missed this thread. Did you work through this, sp?
          "Those sowing seed with tears
          Will reap with a joyful shout." - Psalm 126

Comment

• It seems to have passed. Maybe have just been I needed a vacation. After coming back from the recent vacation I really feel more charged. Also, wasn't giving myself any down time. I think sometimes I just need to sit on the couch and watch TV. Usually I try to make every minute count by folding laundry or knitting while watching TV, but I think I really do need that lazy time.
            Freedom is just another word for nothing left to lose - Kris Kristofferson and Fred Foster (sung by Janis Joplin)

Comment

• I too missed this thread. I too have gone through similar spells of disconnectedness/forgetfulness. Seems to me that it occurs more when I am seriously overdrawn at my time bank. The stress does it. Definitely take more regular breaks just to veg out.
              I do not grow old; if I stop growing, I am old.

Comment

• Somehow, I missed this one too...
                I chalk it up to stress, I do the same thing.

Comment

• Originally posted by DreamP346 View Post
                  It seems to have passed. Maybe have just been I needed a vacation. After coming back from the recent vacation I really feel more charged. Also, wasn't giving myself any down time. I think sometimes I just need to sit on the couch and watch TV. Usually I try to make every minute count by folding laundry or knitting while watching TV, but I think I really do need that lazy time.
                  Wasn't this the vacation where you started at the family reunion? How did the family picture turn out? How was the rest of the trip with the family? Its seems like you had a chance to re-charge the batteries, so some of the vacation must have been great!
                  "The only consistent feature of all of your dissatisfying relationships is you." Despair.com "Dysfunction"

Comment

• The vacation was fun. I really had to let go and not try to get everything running on a schedule (I like things to happen on time). That helped me decompress and not let things bother me.

The in-laws/family reunion/picture session went exactly like I thought it would. The "photographer" was just a young girl with a large camera. The pictures she looked like something anybody could have taken. Some of the grand-kids who lived in the area didn't even bother showing up because they were either hung-over or wanted to go fishing instead. One of the ones who showed up was wearing ripped jeans. At least there was no fighting or threats to knife somebody this time!!! Thank goodness we only spent 2 days with them and we didn't have to share the house they rented.

Comment

• Without hijacking this thread, I am glad that the family reunion did not ruin the entire vacation. I understand how difficult it is to let go -- I am usually accused of "over planning" vacations and stress when things are left to happenstance.

Comment

• Hey Dream don't worry this has happen to me with 4 daughters and 2 grand daughters over the years. I sometimes wonderful can life get any worse and a pain in my ****. Then my wife says bite your freakin tongue but like you was saying Dream that WH is your stress relief. Well WH does the same for me as well it lets me relax and not worry about other stuff for a while. So I can express my self freely.
                        When out driving always turn left. Then, should you become lost, you can find your way home by reversing the procedure and always turning right.

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

• U2 Feedback

I love U2: I checked out their website. I think some of the members were rude about U2: which was totally unfair. U2 produce great music and those insults...

09-09-2019, 09:57 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                        • Diagnosis on Netflix

There are only 7 episodes, but I found this to be such an informative, interesting and eye-opening show. I was truly captivated by it and wanted to recommend...

09-05-2019, 07:43 AM By Ashlee T.
                        • Is it weird that I'm addicted to giving BJs?

I know this is probably going to sound like a windup but it's a genuine question. And a warning to fellas: any comment along the lines of "come give...

09-04-2019, 06:05 PM By GillBlack
                        • High Fat, High Carbohydrate, High Protein – Which Works Best?

When I was struggling to continue my progress last year, a couple of good friends started suggesting that I figure out my “macros” and “reduce carbs.”...

09-04-2019, 12:24 AM By Stillness
                        • Hurricane Dorian devastation

I watched some videos from hurricane Dorian last night. I hope our members or readers in the Carribean are safe.

And I suppose our members...

09-03-2019, 07:42 AM By atskitty2
                        Working...
                        X