Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have you ever seen a therapist?

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• Have you ever seen a therapist?

I listen to Dr Jenn Berman on the way home from work and she always says that everyone should get one year's worth of therapy. Have you ever seen a therapist just because? If so, what did you get out of it? You recommend it for everyone?

Anyone can answer, but I'd especially like to hear from those that went to see a therapist for no specific reason (like you didn't go see a therapist to deal with a traumatic experience).

Thanks!

P.S.: I feel like I've asked this before, but maybe it was in someone else's thread. Which means I probably did not get a fully satisfying answer. I am thinking about doing this, but I am a little scared about it.
    [B]"Are you serious? You're [i]bleeping[/I] THAT girl?"[/B][B] - [COLOR="#B22222"]jen1447[/COLOR][/B]

• I went to see a therapist twice for specific reasons. The first was to get over the death of a girlfriend (we had been dating for 2 years) in my early 20s. The second time was to deal with a crumbling relationship and my unhappiness when I was 46. Both were incredibly valuable experiences, especially the latter one. I worked on specific issues and came out with an entirely new perspective on my life.

That said, I don't see any reason to see a therapist if you don't have a specific need for one. It's expensive and it takes time to build a good relationship with one. The question I have is why? What do you want to learn about you?
    "The only consistent feature of all of your dissatisfying relationships is you." Despair.com "Dysfunction"

Comment

• Because I think Dr Jenn has a point and because I do not know what I do not know. I may have something that indeed needs fixing or repairing. I am also worried that the process involves doing some damage before it does any fixing.
      [B]"Are you serious? You're [i]bleeping[/I] THAT girl?"[/B][B] - [COLOR="#B22222"]jen1447[/COLOR][/B]

Comment

• Originally posted by Something_Awesome View Post
        Because I think Dr Jenn has a point and because I do not know what I do not know. I may have something that indeed needs fixing or repairing. I am also worried that the process involves doing some damage before it does any fixing.
        Believe me, SA, you will know when you have an issue worth fixing. I agree with your last point. The process will inevitably change you . . . if it aint broke yet, don't fix it. In all seriousness, it will be a traumatic event or a feeling of depression that takes you to therapy. You will also know when its time for couples therapy. Just enjoy life right now. You are in a very good place.
        "The only consistent feature of all of your dissatisfying relationships is you." Despair.com "Dysfunction"

Comment

• I have seen therapists for eating disorder, depression, anxiety and relationship problems - Im certainly not going to go to one for no good reason. Therapy is an expensive and time and energy consuming processand unless you are unhappy / having problems /need something fixing / resolving, the emotional digging and restructuring of thoughts / behaviors can be quite painful and draining.
          “...choose to believe in your own myth
          your own glamour
          your own spell
          a young woman who does this
          (even if she is just pretending)
          has everything....”
          ― Francesca Lia Block, How to (Un)cage a Girl

Comment

• Originally posted by calibri~ View Post
            I have seen therapists for eating disorder, depression, anxiety and relationship problems - Im certainly not going to go to one for no good reason. Therapy is an expensive and time and energy consuming processand unless you are unhappy / having problems /need something fixing / resolving, the emotional digging and restructuring of thoughts / behaviors can be quite painful and draining.
            Wow, I see... I guess I was looking at it as a way of making me better.

Comment

• I think that learning to be emotionally aware and to recognise behavioural patterns are useful communicative and analytical skills that you can learn in therapy, but usually the end goal is to change and unhealthy behavioural or emotional responses to negative stimuli. The learning part is good for everyone, the changing part is the hardest for those who need it the most. In order to change yourself, you must first acknowledge and accept that your current mechanisms are unhealthy AND be willing to make the painful and scary changes for good, which can feel like abandoning the self that you think you know.
              From what I've read you seem pretty balanced and psychologically healthy.
              “...choose to believe in your own myth
              your own glamour
              your own spell
              a young woman who does this
              (even if she is just pretending)
              has everything....”
              ― Francesca Lia Block, How to (Un)cage a Girl

Comment

• Originally posted by calibri~ View Post
                From what I've read you seem pretty balanced and psychologically healthy.
                That's a compliment I have not heard before! Thanks!

Comment

• I have but for specific reasons ... I wonder though whether even those who think they are going for 'just because' reasons actually have things they need help with. Seems like everyone has things they could learn, change and benefit from discussing and even just having someone listen can be a powerful help and motivator

Comment

• I personally prefer life coaching over therapy, but that's me. Life coaching has given me the best advice that has given me the best results. The only con is that a life coach may give you controversial advice that others may not agree with, which will lead them to persuade you against it (has happened to me numerous times). BUT, I feel like uncommon advice that the average joe doesn't do can often be the best.
                    "Dating is like slow dancing. Let the man lead, or you will fall all over your feet"

Comment

• I don't understand going to a doctor when you're not sick. Would you go see a foot doctor if nothing is wrong with your feet?

I understand the need to improve. I think that life is not worth living if you're not trying to reach out, grow, or better yourself in some way.
                      "Those sowing seed with tears
                      Will reap with a joyful shout." - Psalm 126

Comment

• Therapy works for someone that is really struggling, but I think life coaching is more suitable for someone looking to improve at their highest level
                        "Dating is like slow dancing. Let the man lead, or you will fall all over your feet"

Comment

• Originally posted by Stillness View Post
                          I don't understand going to a doctor when you're not sick. Would you go see a foot doctor if nothing is wrong with your feet?

I understand the need to improve. I think that life is not worth living if you're not trying to reach out, grow, or better yourself in some way.
                          For the same reason you go to the dentist every 6 months and the primary care provider once a year, even when you are not sick
                          Freedom is just another word for nothing left to lose - Kris Kristofferson and Fred Foster (sung by Janis Joplin)

Comment

• Originally posted by Something_Awesome View Post
                            Because I think Dr Jenn has a point and because I do not know what I do not know. I may have something that indeed needs fixing or repairing. I am also worried that the process involves doing some damage before it does any fixing.
                            If it ain't broken, don't fix it.

I have no idea who Dr Jenn is, but is there a possibility there are commercial reasons this person tells people to go do therapy?

Comment

• I saw a therapist for 8 month's because of low self esteem which stemmed from being bullied as a child to my early teens. I became very withdrawn and shy. It was hard for to hold a job later and I ended moving back home. It was my parents who took me to a therapist who helped me find my self confidence and self worth. I am very out going these days and some people don't even recognize the new me ! Everybody needs a non judgmental person to talk to.

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

• Do You Volunteer?

I have done so for many years.

I work at a charity and have been there for over 10 years. I must admit, I love the work. Admittedly, I don't...

Today, 03:15 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                              • Do You Pluck Your Eyebrows?

I certainly do.

I like the thinner brow look. I have beautiful eyes and feel my brows frame my face. I love having groomed, neat eyebrows....

Today, 03:08 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                              • Fabulous New Boots!

I very recently bought myself a gorgeous pair of black leather boots. I spent a good 20 minutes making the decision and don't regret it!

Today, 03:02 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                              • Soon To Have Therapy

I've been in a really mixed-up place lately. So I have spoken to my doctor and she is referring me for counselling. I shall also be seeing a psychologist....

Today, 02:59 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                              • Do You Play The Postcode Lottery?

I do! Although I have not won anything yet. Still, it is worth the chance of winning some money.

What about you? What are your reasons for...

Today, 02:53 AM By Popcorn&Candy

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

• Do You Volunteer?

I have done so for many years.

I work at a charity and have been there for over 10 years. I must admit, I love the work. Admittedly, I don't...

Today, 03:15 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                              • Do You Pluck Your Eyebrows?

I certainly do.

I like the thinner brow look. I have beautiful eyes and feel my brows frame my face. I love having groomed, neat eyebrows....

Today, 03:08 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                              • Fabulous New Boots!

I very recently bought myself a gorgeous pair of black leather boots. I spent a good 20 minutes making the decision and don't regret it!

Today, 03:02 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                              • Soon To Have Therapy

I've been in a really mixed-up place lately. So I have spoken to my doctor and she is referring me for counselling. I shall also be seeing a psychologist....

Today, 02:59 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                              • Do You Play The Postcode Lottery?

I do! Although I have not won anything yet. Still, it is worth the chance of winning some money.

What about you? What are your reasons for...

Today, 02:53 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                              Working...
                              X