Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

prozac and alcohol

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• prozac and alcohol

Hi all, I know no-one can give medical advice here but I'd like to share some info.
    When I was at uni, I weighed about 90 pounds, was on 60mg prozac and routinely drank a bottle of wine or equivalent on a Fri or Sat night while out with equally tipsy friends. I never saw this as a problem, and neither did my prescribing team, including the head of this psychiayric department, they were more concerned that I might be taking coke (I wasn't). No GP has ever shown concern about having some alcohol while taking prozac, except that it will temporarily negate the effects of the drug...but now I'm reading on the Internet about how bad it is to mix the two....well I now weigh more like 120 pounds, am on only 20mg prozac and would like to enjoy a glass of wine on my birthday....but I'm a bit worried that this is dangerous.
    the leaflet says alcohol can increase the side effects of the drug, and when I asked on an online health resource that will remain nameless, a Dr suggest that once you trigger worse side effects then it's difficult to reverse! Sounds like scare tactics to me.

Anyone here have any experience with prozac and alcohol?

Should I trust my own experience, or listen to this new advice? I'm not talking getting drunk, I'd just like to relax a bit with friends and taste some delicious vino. Oh yeah, I used to go to wine tasting too..ofc I got a hangover but nothing dramatic happened, I just haven't drunk for a while due to headaches.
    “...choose to believe in your own myth
    your own glamour
    your own spell
    a young woman who does this
    (even if she is just pretending)
    has everything....”
    ― Francesca Lia Block, How to (Un)cage a Girl

• Well. Finally I remembered pubmed (spend enough time on it at work!), apparently fluoxetine is sometimes used to help alcoholics reduce their alcohol intake. In a rat model, fluoxetine prevented some of the brain damage associated with chronic alcoholism too....
    I'm beginning to think I should just throw caution to the wind and not worry about the previous gallons of booze I've consumed...I'm in very good health so I figure it's probably fine, right?
    your own glamour
    your own spell
    has everything....”

Comment

• With only 20mg of Prozac, I am sure that moderate drinking will be fine. It is so great that you are no longer getting the hormonal headaches!!

What was the decision on the conference? Is he going or are you going to have a good time alone . . . .??
      "The only consistent feature of all of your dissatisfying relationships is you." Despair.com "Dysfunction"

Comment

• Of course you are right effy, I don't know why I've suddenly fixated on this issue!??

Yup no migraines BUT currently plagued by tension headaches ;( got me some diazepam to make my few days off work super relaxing.

I told SO I want to go alone. A colleague will be staying in the same hotel. Breakfast will be work talk. SO is very hurt and doesn't want to hear another word about the trip (yet subsequently took me our to help me find shoes for said trip)?. Which is weird of him don't you think? Yet he wonders how I could possibly suggest he might upset or stress me if he came with. I want him to fly out a couple of days after me and meet me there so we can holiday together, not one holiday, one work. But no dice. He will not travel solo.
        Shame I had to ruin another potential holiday for him, but I find it quite weak that he won't be at all independent and travel alone. Or in fact, do anything alone. End rant.
        your own glamour
        your own spell
        has everything....”

Comment

• Oh don't worry, no booze while on valium. I ain't stoopid.

The prozac got increased to 30 due to this stress issue but part of me hopes that the optician tomorrow says actually I just need new glasses...
          your own glamour
          your own spell
          has everything....”

Comment

• Originally posted by calibri~ View Post
            Of course you are right effy, I don't know why I've suddenly fixated on this issue!??
            Because you are a scientist. You had to find out the answer or it would have bothered you relentlessly.

Originally posted by calibri~ View Post
            I told SO I want to go alone. A colleague will be staying in the same hotel. Breakfast will be work talk. SO is very hurt and doesn't want to hear another word about the trip (yet subsequently took me our to help me find shoes for said trip)?. Which is weird of him don't you think? Yet he wonders how I could possibly suggest he might upset or stress me if he came with. I want him to fly out a couple of days after me and meet me there so we can holiday together, not one holiday, one work. But no dice. He will not travel solo.
            Shame I had to ruin another potential holiday for him, but I find it quite weak that he won't be at all independent and travel alone. Or in fact, do anything alone. End rant.
            He is a bit odd. Not travel solo? What are his fears? I get why he will never be the one to initiate any relationship ending conversation -- without you he would be totally lost.
            "The only consistent feature of all of your dissatisfying relationships is you." Despair.com "Dysfunction"

Comment

• Haha.
              He won't tell me why.
              He won't do it.
              It's a weird thing to ask.
              That's not what being in a relationship is about.
              End of conversation.
              your own glamour
              your own spell
              has everything....”

Comment

• I traveled so much for work, it's second nature. He isn't much for conversations about feelings, so it's not unusual that he hasn't shared much about his fears.

The last part was just an observation. Relationships are never "about" ending one, but staying in one because of fear of loneliness isn't great either.

Comment

• Have your couple of glasses of wine, in my opinion, it's more to do with excessive just like everything in life, I love Effy's observation "it's the scientist in you"

The more you do things independently the more your SO will get used to it as well and stop telling you that you've stopped him, from doing something such as having a holiday.

Let's face it, this time he attended shoe shopping Keep adding that independence in mam.
                  PUT A LITTLE 'LIKE' IN MY SOUL!

Comment

• Well I sure don't understand your SO. He makes so little sense much of the time. He obviously tries to manipulate you through his rants etc. Does he lack self confidence and try to manipulate you to make him feel better? Not just as in this case but as his general mode of action? That is my impression. Does he have friends? It is almost like he doesn't know how to behave or act in normal social situations or even with just the two of you. I think he is the one who needs the counseling.

Comment

• Sorry wrong thread... meant for making this weird.... maybe one of the experts can move it...

Comment

• Ha, no worries farmer.
                        He has very few friends and makes little to no effort to instigate communication with them. I really think despite the obvious ego problem that he is hugely insecure.
                        your own glamour
                        your own spell
                        has everything....”

Comment

• Originally posted by calibri~ View Post
                          Hi all, I know no-one can give medical advice here but I'd like to share some info.
                          When I was at uni, I weighed about 90 pounds, was on 60mg prozac and routinely drank a bottle of wine or equivalent on a Fri or Sat night while out with equally tipsy friends. I never saw this as a problem, and neither did my prescribing team, including the head of this psychiayric department, they were more concerned that I might be taking coke (I wasn't). No GP has ever shown concern about having some alcohol while taking prozac, except that it will temporarily negate the effects of the drug...but now I'm reading on the Internet about how bad it is to mix the two....well I now weigh more like 120 pounds, am on only 20mg prozac and would like to enjoy a glass of wine on my birthday....but I'm a bit worried that this is dangerous.
                          the leaflet says alcohol can increase the side effects of the drug, and when I asked on an online health resource that will remain nameless, a Dr suggest that once you trigger worse side effects then it's difficult to reverse! Sounds like scare tactics to me.

Anyone here have any experience with prozac and alcohol?

Should I trust my own experience, or listen to this new advice? I'm not talking getting drunk, I'd just like to relax a bit with friends and taste some delicious vino. Oh yeah, I used to go to wine tasting too..ofc I got a hangover but nothing dramatic happened, I just haven't drunk for a while due to headaches.
                          Do not mixed Prozac, with any kind of alcohol Calibri, this highly dangerous. I am not a expert but i seen first hand what it can do if you do. I don't want anything happening to you that could have be prevented. I may sound over protected but mixing any type of drugs like this with alcohol is just asking for trouble. I understand having wine during your birthday dinner but wait till you off Prozac to do so that's my two cents worth.
                          When out driving always turn left. Then, should you become lost, you can find your way home by reversing the procedure and always turning right.

Comment

• That's interesting motorguy. What happened to the person you knew who drank on fluoxetine? You have to be careful to limit the amount you drink because it's a cns depressant and your cognitive motor skills are more compromised than usual ie you get drunk much faster.
                            Lord knows how I drank so much at uni without having any of these fabled effects. From what some people say I should have died every Friday night!

As for now, I've been on prozac for 16 years, and will probably be taking it for my whole life. It's not a quick fix, I appear have chronic hereditary problems with serotonin (father and brother also afflicted).

I refuse to consider any alcohol if I've had painkillers. I was strictly off booze with isotretinoin and diazepam because the implications of all those are clear, but I can't see the pharmacological danger in an occasional glass of wine while taking prozac . It's seems rather fluffy as a topic.
                            your own glamour
                            your own spell
                            has everything....”

Comment

• Ok I'm gonna ask my prescribing doctor just to be sure. I'll let you know the answer I get!
                              your own glamour
                              your own spell
                              has everything....”

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

• Have You Ever Done Any Online Dating? - Let's Discuss!

If you've ever done any online dating, you know there are many things that can go wrong. But for some, online dating leads to finding a soulmate. ...

09-17-2019, 11:04 AM By Chrissy M.
                              • Do You Volunteer?

I have done so for many years.

I work at a charity and have been there for over 10 years. I must admit, I love the work. Admittedly, I don't...

09-17-2019, 03:15 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                              • Do You Pluck Your Eyebrows?

I certainly do.

I like the thinner brow look. I have beautiful eyes and feel my brows frame my face. I love having groomed, neat eyebrows....

09-17-2019, 03:08 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                              • Fabulous New Boots!

I very recently bought myself a gorgeous pair of black leather boots. I spent a good 20 minutes making the decision and don't regret it!

09-17-2019, 03:02 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                              • Soon To Have Therapy

I've been in a really mixed-up place lately. So I have spoken to my doctor and she is referring me for counselling. I shall also be seeing a psychologist....

09-17-2019, 02:59 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                              Working...
                              X