Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

prozac and alcohol

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• Sooo - the doc phoned me back and said it was not dangerous to drink while on prozac, that some people find that they feel unwell if they do so, but others not, and that if drinking in moderation there is no issue. The only concerns she had were stomach irritation and dehydration / racing heart upon hangover - but as my heart has been checked out as all good I'm pretty much cleared to have that glass of wine without ANY worries - I'll have a 'dry run' this weekend bwahahaha- cos frankly no-one wants to have anxiety about an experience that is meant to be relaxing and liberating!!

Thanks for your input guys - I hope this information is useful for someone else out there too!

ps the official stance of the medical service here states on its website that prozac and alcohol is a safe combination (unlike alcohol and TCAs or MAOI's) but to avoid alcohol if side effects occur. I wouldnt touch alcohol if I was on those ones, but I still needed a breathinhg human to tell me in person that, yes, its ok!
    “...choose to believe in your own myth
    your own glamour
    your own spell
    a young woman who does this
    (even if she is just pretending)
    has everything....”
    ― Francesca Lia Block, How to (Un)cage a Girl

Comment

• Congrats. Let us know how relaxed you get this weekend and whether you did anything naughty.
      "The only consistent feature of all of your dissatisfying relationships is you." Despair.com "Dysfunction"

Comment

• Im pretty sure the issue is anti depressants wont be as effective if taken/used with a depressant such as alcohol..

Comment

• Well, echo, that would be the most obvious contradiction but it would seem that side effects from prozac are worsened in the presence of alcohol also.
          Certainly if you were recently suicidal then boozing is a no-no but I'm pretty stable mood wise.
          I've had a glass of tia Maria which was delicious and of course have no ill effects
          What sort of naughtiness do you mean effy? It's SOs turn to have a headache donchaknow...but I know a temporary cure for that.....
          your own glamour
          your own spell
          has everything....”

Comment

• Hun, I was on pain killers for a tooth problem and drank alcohol, there I am living proof and an old bag so you will be fine : )

Your Doctor said " after a hangover" re heart racing well you aren't asking us if you can drink a bottle, 1-2 glasses in my opinion isn't going to hurt you, 3-4 perhaps but you can also take less of the drug, 1/2 in the knowing that you deserve a bit of freedom from 16 years of taking the same drug.
            PUT A LITTLE 'LIKE' IN MY SOUL!

Comment

• I'm taking a week off work to destress. I was prescribed diazepam as a three day course to alleviate tension headaches and I planned to take it then so it doesn't affect my work. However, after the prozac dose increase, some yoga and a lot of conscious relaxing the headaches have pretty much stopped. I'm loath to take valium unless I need to, and I'm seriously planning nothing but painting, writing, ps3ing and home beauty treatments (toe nail polish etc) all week, so this should be sufficiently relaxing in itself. I think I'll take the valium if the headaches start again, but if I'm fixed then I would just be taking valium essentially for recreation....

Plus as an aside, valium stays in your system up to three weeks so no birthday wine.

Let's see how this week treats me...a trip to see my dying grandmother is sure to be relaxing as hell....but less stressful than avoiding it and feeling guilty and selfish.
              your own glamour
              your own spell
              has everything....”

Comment

• I am very pleased that you have solved the headaches, at least for now. Enjoy your week off, even if it includes the trip to see your dying grandmother. I guess your SO does get a holiday of sorts. Think of it as a mission of mercy.

Have a great week.
                "The only consistent feature of all of your dissatisfying relationships is you." Despair.com "Dysfunction"

Comment

• If a little alcohol with such meds was that dangerous I'd have died 10years ago. A little wine with meals is perfectly fine when on a normal dose (I am far from a normal dose) of the meds mentioned and have no sign of liver problems. It's a good idea to have liver function tests run periodically and expect the alcohol to have a greater effect than normal for what you drink. Do not drive. No doctor though has ever expressed concern about my occasional fruit wine or hard lemonade drinking and like I said I'm far from a normal dose. I'm out where doctors wonder how I'm sitting upright and talking and always joke I have enough meds in my system to knock a horse out.

Comment

• Ah kira you seem as highly medicated as my brother, but he can't tolerate any alcohol at all, it just wipes him out. The pharmacist who dispensed the valium said alcohol two days after the tablets are fine.
                    your own glamour
                    your own spell
                    has everything....”

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

• Have You Ever Done Any Online Dating? - Let's Discuss!

If you've ever done any online dating, you know there are many things that can go wrong. But for some, online dating leads to finding a soulmate. ...

09-17-2019, 11:04 AM By Chrissy M.
                    • Do You Volunteer?

I have done so for many years.

I work at a charity and have been there for over 10 years. I must admit, I love the work. Admittedly, I don't...

09-17-2019, 03:15 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                    • Do You Pluck Your Eyebrows?

I certainly do.

I like the thinner brow look. I have beautiful eyes and feel my brows frame my face. I love having groomed, neat eyebrows....

09-17-2019, 03:08 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                    • Fabulous New Boots!

I very recently bought myself a gorgeous pair of black leather boots. I spent a good 20 minutes making the decision and don't regret it!

09-17-2019, 03:02 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                    • Soon To Have Therapy

I've been in a really mixed-up place lately. So I have spoken to my doctor and she is referring me for counselling. I shall also be seeing a psychologist....

09-17-2019, 02:59 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                    Working...
                    X