Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unexplained Weight Loss

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• Unexplained Weight Loss

Hi everyone,

I'm a health anxiety sufferer, but it comes and goes. I'm proud to say that the "OMG I'm going to die" thoughts haven't crossed my mind in months. Until now, of course. I just want to say that I'm not posting this to get a diagnosis, I just want someone to tell me if I'm making this a bigger deal than it needs to be.

I'm 21 years old and 5'4" and my weight at the beginning of the summer (May/June) was about 123 lb give or take. I went back to college in August, and came home for labor day weekend and weighed myself on the same scale I used all summer and weighed 118. It was odd to me because usually I have to work very hard to weigh less than 120 lb, and I honestly hadn't given my weight any thought, time, or effort. I chocked it up to stress/anxiety because 1) toward the end of the summer I had a severely dysplastic mole excised and that caused me some stress at the time, and 2) I had just started back to school. I just came home again for a small break, it's been about 5 weeks since I've been home last. I weighed myself again and I weighed 117.5. I know it's only half a pound, but I had consciously tried to increase my calories when I went back to school after labor day weekend to see if I would gain any weight. I didn't track it, so maybe I was off with my counts. It just scares me that I'm losing weight without trying. I'm not sure how long it took me to go from 123 to 118, but now I'm down to 117.5. Is that significant and should I be concerned? Or should I wait it out before I call the doctor? P.s. I'm in nursing school so I know what unexplained weight loss could mean.

• Hi there,

I realise this is an old post so I really hope you see this! I went through pretty much the same thing. I returned to university study my masters degree in a similar field as yourself. I'm also 5'4" an I dropped from roughly 120lbs to 100lbs, in a very short space of time, I looked horrendous! But similarly I had not tried in any way to lose weight.
    It is only now that I have managed to gain the weight again that I realised what the problem was. I was extremely anxious, suffering from terrible anxiety actually (my studies were hard, and being made even more difficult by an abusive boyfriend!). This anxiety destroyed my appetite, at that time I really thought I was eating plenty, but now that I'm back to my regular weight I realise this was not the case.
    Are you seeking any professional help for the anxiety you feel? As you probably know when we are anxious our bodies react in such a way to protect our basic functions, to protect our organs. So the hormones that tell your body you are hungry are not a top priority for our brains, our brains just want to keep us alive, to keep the lungs, the heart etc going. So our brains are not telling us we are hungry when we are anxious. Eventually because our stomach doesn't feel as hungry as it did before it shrinks in size. Because it shrinks when you do eat you eat less because it takes less to fill you up, it's kind of like a vicious circle.
    If you are not getting professional help for your anxiety I urge you to do so, CBT is probably one of the best approaches out there.

I hope you get to see this and if so I hope it helps. Feel free to ask me any questions if you feel the need to do so.
    mind yourself!

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

• U2 Feedback

I love U2: I checked out their website. I think some of the members were rude about U2: which was totally unfair. U2 produce great music and those insults...

09-09-2019, 09:57 AM By Popcorn&Candy
    • Diagnosis on Netflix

There are only 7 episodes, but I found this to be such an informative, interesting and eye-opening show. I was truly captivated by it and wanted to recommend...

09-05-2019, 07:43 AM By Ashlee T.
    • Is it weird that I'm addicted to giving BJs?

I know this is probably going to sound like a windup but it's a genuine question. And a warning to fellas: any comment along the lines of "come give...

09-04-2019, 06:05 PM By GillBlack
    • High Fat, High Carbohydrate, High Protein – Which Works Best?

When I was struggling to continue my progress last year, a couple of good friends started suggesting that I figure out my “macros” and “reduce carbs.”...

09-04-2019, 12:24 AM By Stillness
    • Hurricane Dorian devastation

I watched some videos from hurricane Dorian last night. I hope our members or readers in the Carribean are safe.

And I suppose our members...

09-03-2019, 07:42 AM By atskitty2
    Working...
    X