• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Driving Test Nerves

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driving Test Nerves

I have to take a driving test tomorrow and I'm so nervous about it because I don't have a lot of driving experience. Does anyone have any tips to help calm me?

Have you driven a fair amount to feel rather confident in your abilities?
    Take a deep breath and just focus in the moment.

Get a good night's rest prior to the test and have a good healthy, moderately sized meal a couple hours prior so you're not hungry or distracted, but also not too full and sleepy.

Eta: what's the worst that happens if you fail? You just retake the exam right? No worries. It won't reflect poorly in any other area of life. Relax and you'll do fine
    Last edited by atskitty2; 11-27-2017, 12:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by atskitty2 View Post
      Have you driven a fair amount to feel rather confident in your abilities?
      Take a deep breath and just focus in the moment.

Get a good night's rest prior to the test and have a good healthy, moderately sized meal a couple hours prior so you're not hungry or distracted, but also not too full and sleepy.

Eta: what's the worst that happens if you fail? You just retake the exam right? No worries. It won't reflect poorly in any other area of life. Relax and you'll do fine
      I have driven about 15 times in my entire life, but mostly around the same areas. I've never driven in the town where I'm taking the test. Thanks for the advice! That really helps.

Comment

Do you have a relative or friend that could take you somewhere semi-isolated to drive around a bit?

That's how I learned to drive a stick. My cousin took me to a little island where people go to just cruise around. I taught my brothers in a big parking lot before taking them out on a quiet street.
        "Those sowing seed with tears
        Will reap with a joyful shout." - Psalm 126

Comment

I hope your driving test goes well/went well today. It's natural to be nervous, so you're not alone there. Do keep us updated!

Comment

Originally posted by Popcorn&Candy View Post
            I hope your driving test goes well/went well today. It's natural to be nervous, so you're not alone there. Do keep us updated!
            The embarrassment replays in my head. Failed.

Comment

It's ok jupiter! It isn't uncommon! What did you lose points for?

Practice for a week or two and try again. You don't have a lot of experience, as you said, so get some practice and improve on the weakness that you have. You can do it, and sometimes it takes more time.

Comment

Jupiter girl
                welcome to WH!

did you take a drivers ed class in HS?
                that was required for us

if you haven't, how about taking a class at a driving school which will give you confidence as well as needed practice

Comment

I've taught several people including my wife and a friend. The biggest thing is to stay calm and not get frustrated. With the friend, she had failed her previous test partly due to not using the rear view mirror correctly. I taught her to exaggerate her head movement when using it to make sure that the examiner knew she was using it. I taught my wife mostly on the freeway, initially with her as the copilot driver in a car with a front bench seat. She became comfortable driving at 65. She later taught several of her friends how to drive on freeways. What were you marked down on?
                  Last edited by jns; 11-29-2017, 05:17 PM.
                  I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
                  Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

Originally posted by jns View Post
                    I've taught several people including my wife and a friend. The biggest thing is to stay calm and not get frustrated. With the friend, she had failed her previous test partly due to not using the rear view mirror correctly. I taught her to exaggerate her head movement when using it to make sure that the examiner knew she was using it. I taught my wife mostly on the freeway, initially with her as the copilot driver in a car with a front bench seat. She became comfortable driving at 65. She later taught several of her friends how to drive on freeways. What were you marked down on?
                    Seems like a good method. I was also told to exaggerate my head movement. Well, the first things we did were back into a straight line and then parallel park. Failed parallel parking, so she made me stop, park the car, and told me to reschedule my test.

Comment

It's ok jupiter! It isn't uncommon! What did you lose points for?

Practice for a week or two and try again. You don't have a lot of experience, as you said, so get some practice and improve on the weakness that you have. You can do it, and sometimes it takes more time.
                      Thanks, I was really nervous. I failed parallel parking, which means I failed the whole test... :/ I do feel more comfortable since I know what I'm getting myself into, though.

Comment

Originally posted by amy40 View Post
                        Jupiter girl
                        welcome to WH!

did you take a drivers ed class in HS?
                        that was required for us

if you haven't, how about taking a class at a driving school which will give you confidence as well as needed practice
                        Thanks. I'm not going to take a class because I'm about to be 20 and I think it's time to get it over with. When we turn 18 in Texas, we're no longer required to take lessons and receive a permit before our license.

Comment

Find a quiet street or a parking lot and practice parallel parking a lot. It'll become automatic. I'll bet you will pass next time.
                          I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
                          Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

I have a set of cones in my garage from when I helped someone learn to drive. I forget where he got the cones tho', but you can get them.
                            My area has practice cones set up, at various times, at the local BMV or licensing bureau. If you call, there may be something like that in Texas also.

Comment

I have a set of cones in my garage from when I helped someone learn to drive. I forget where he got the cones tho', but you can get them.
                              My area has practice cones set up, at various times, at the local BMV or licensing bureau. If you call, there may be something like that in Texas also.
                              She said I can go and practice there whenever I want, but I live 45 min. away, so that's a no-go. I live in Olney and had an appt. in Graham. Graham was closed for some reason, so I had to go to Wichita Falls. So, I don't think I'll be going back to Wichita Falls. I'll find something to use if I don't buy a cone.

Comment

Working...
                              X