Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is it all mental health

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• is it all mental health

people want to start the conversation about mental health re mass shootings
    but are all the shootings done by people with mental health issues?

aren't some people are just evil?

• Generally, I think having such a dissociation is a mental illness. I'm not sure I understand what you mean by just being evil. The act is evil. Do I think the people are? No. I really don't think so.

Comment

• Originally posted by amy40 View Post
      I think so. If everyone that does bad things is mentally ill, then no one is ever responsible. But in reality, plenty of people who are mentally sound enough to know wrong from right are responsible for evil acts. And there are people with mental illness that do good and wouldn't hurt a fly. So it's bad people doing bad things.

On the other hand, I just had a conversation with a guy that worked security in a hospital for the criminally insane. He told me about a test to see if someone can be excused for crime called "the police test" (or something like that). Would the person have committed the crime right in front of a police officer? I thought that was pretty interesting.
      "Those sowing seed with tears
      Will reap with a joyful shout." - Psalm 126

Comment

• I don't think having a mental illness is any excuse for or relieves responsibility for an illegal or hurtful act.

Comment

• Originally posted by amy40 View Post
          people want to start the conversation about mental health re mass shootings
          but are all the shootings done by people with mental health issues?

Mass killings can be done by mentally ill people. If we look at the Soviet government system, anyone who went against it may have been labeled as mentally ill. Ordinary people can be involved in mass killings if they are led by someone who tells them to do it. You see that in rogue military units (My Lai), Jonestown, Waco and other places. Some such killings are condemned, others not so much.
          I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
          Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

• I think there are all too many evil people in the world who are not mentally ill. Whereas there are lots of mentally ill people who never cause harm. Evil is sick, but is obviously wrong. Stopping evil people is making them face punishment. Whether prison or just paying the price [although I am not a vigilante]. To be religious, I think god stops evil, no matter how long it takes. Anyhow, evil can sometimes be due to mental illness, BUT many mentally ill people are not evil.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
            X