• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Insomnia Chat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insomnia Chat

Hello Everybody, I'm new to the forum. Does anyone experience bad insomnia and how long?? When did the insomnia begin?? Have there been ways that you lessened it? I'm a college student and had insomnia for a little over 7 months. I would do 1-3 hours worth of sleep per night or no sleep. It is in a way on and off. There would be a week or a week and a half where I would sleep fine and then it would be back to no sleep or very little sleep for the most part. When I don't get any sleep I would have body aches in certain areas in my body and there were times where I would feel stressed due to lack of sleep or no sleep. I think the reason why my insomnia began was because of stress.
    Last edited by Beautiful Disaster; 08-08-2018, 10:11 AM.

I've fought insomnia for over 25 yrs.

If you can manage the stress better, learn to do it now. It seems like those of us prone to insomnia only worsen over time. Get a method in place sooner and save yourself a possible life of struggle with it.

Learn to meditate or clear your mind in whatever way works for you.

If you already notice the physical effect of not getting enough rest, (body aches) you probably should be fairly aggressive in your work to get adequate sleep. Long term, it can cause health issues to be sleep deprived.

We sort of take sleep for granted I think. It is as necessary as food and water for good health.
    Take care of yourself!

Comment

I'm sorry to hear that, Babybird10. I agree with Curtis Cross. Those are steps you could take to deal with insomnia. I also think it is a paradox: you need to sleep, so you think you must fall asleep. But the more you want to fall asleep the less tired you are. I think the key is to not say to yourself "I must fall asleep". The less you worry about going to sleep, the easier it is to actually fall asleep. This seems odd advice, but it is true.

Also, have you tried sleeping pills? They could help.

Good luck.

Comment

I used to experience insomnia when I was a student too. I think it was connected with a big amount of new information we get every day in university and at night our brain starts to proceed it. I like the advice of Curtis Cross about spending more time outdoor. I have assured myself of it. It really helps to fall asleep easier. Among other sleeping tips is to listen to relaxing music, to have a warm bath or a shower and to open the window in the room before going to sleep.

Comment

I think this is a problem for many people. She did not leave me either. I have not slept well regularly for years and have tried all sorts of things to get a good night's sleep.
          I feel that I just have to admit that this will not happen.
          I try not to sleep during the day, but sometimes I get so tired, if I had a particularly bad night, I can not not "fall". I never went to bed during the day, because, ironically, I was plunged into a deep sleep, which then perpetuates the problem,
          I try to get up at about the same time every morning - still 7 am - after the habit of a lifetime. Usually I'm busy most days and I try not to sleep until midnight, sometimes at 1am, so when I fall asleep, I will most likely have one continuous piece of sleep.
          But there are things that you can do. Set a strict sleep mode. At the same time, every night, take a shower, give your partner a massage with lavender oil, drink a warm drink, like milk and honey or chamomile tea, and go to bed, and rotate the clock so you do not see them at night. If she can not sleep in 20 minutes, get up, go and sit in a quiet room with soft lighting and, perhaps, with some soothing music, read the magazine or find puzzles, something not stimulating and go back to sleep when she is tired. Always wake up at the same time every day, no matter how much sleep she had, and do not doze off. It takes time, but it can help. I personally have to sleep with a radio or TV to muffle voices that like to talk while I try to fall asleep.

I really wish you luck and please know that everything is getting better.

Comment

Hey Birdybird10

I had experience of insomnia. I know how worse it can be. There are various reasons for having insomnia that is- anxiety, stress, body pain, asthma and so many reasons. So, you should consult with a doctor.

Comment

Working...
            X