• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

No announcement yet.

What are the main causes of Alzheimer's disease and how can we avoid it?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are the main causes of Alzheimer's disease and how can we avoid it?

Alzheimer's disease is the 6th leading cause of death in the United States. For the last few decades, researchers have looked for the cause of Alzheimer's disease.As the time pass, it appears that Alzheimer's is a disease of modern civilization with immutable evidence proving that Alzheimer's is an "environmental" disease which affects a lot on our brain. Many researches says that it comes from genetics. I am bit confused because of the research results. Plz, comment if you prevention techniques also.

There are numerous studies done on this. Two different schools of thoughts as to whether or not one can control his/her own destiny. Genes certainly play the major role in this disease. If your parent/grandparent or sibling has the disease then in all likelihood you will at some point in your life go through it too. There also are societal and social reasons for alzheimers to manifest itself. Certain drugs can damage the brain and certain sport activities can also create imbalances. To the best of my knowledge there are drugs that can slow the progression but cannot halt the eventual outcome.

A very informative post, Claret. Alzheimers can be slowed down, but cannot be stopped: as you've stated, Claret. I hope other people will post on here with more comments.