• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PTSD

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PTSD

Hi. There are many stereotypes and stigmas about PTSD; like we all are going to get hostages---not! Most of us suffer in silence because meds don''t work well.
    We suffer from how others treat us and don't understand a thing about us because they just don't care.

PTSD Awareness Month is May or June is it not?

It is certainly not recognized as it should be, and there are many misconceptions about the disorder and those that are experiencing it. I studied a little on it last year after I realized I was having some signs following an assault. Mine was mild, I'm certainly thankful for that.

I think in the US, efforts are made to bring awareness to mental health, and I believe PTSD will be less stigmatized along with depression and anxiety, etc.

Be strong and speak to a good counselor if you aren't already. It made all the difference for me.

Comment

Originally posted by atskitty2 View Post
      PTSD Awareness Month is May or June is it not?

It is certainly not recognized as it should be, and there are many misconceptions about the disorder and those that are experiencing it. I studied a little on it last year after I realized I was having some signs following an assault. Mine was mild, I'm certainly thankful for that.

I think in the US, efforts are made to bring awareness to mental health, and I believe PTSD will be less stigmatized along with depression and anxiety, etc.

Be strong and speak to a good counselor if you aren't already. It made all the difference for me.
      Yes, I hope in the future people will me more educated about various disorders including ptsd, like you have become. I have had some counseling but need more now from a situation I am in that causes me to need it. I hope to learn more about mindfulness; I know a bit but would like to know more.

Comment

Post Traumatic Stress Disorder is certainly treatable. Of course there's no magic cure, but over time - and with counselling and therapy - a person can be helped. I don't have it myself, but have sympathy for those that do.

Mental health is a very important issue these days and assumptions about people who have problems with their mental health aren't so common. Virtually everyone has had depression at one time or another in their life. Other mental health problems are also quite common.

Anyhow, anyone suffering I would advise seek treatment: there's nothing to be afraid of.

Comment

Originally posted by Popcorn&Candy View Post
          Post Traumatic Stress Disorder is certainly treatable. Of course there's no magic cure, but over time - and with counselling and therapy - a person can be helped. I don't have it myself, but have sympathy for those that do.

Mental health is a very important issue these days and assumptions about people who have problems with their mental health aren't so common. Virtually everyone has had depression at one time or another in their life. Other mental health problems are also quite common.

Anyhow, anyone suffering I would advise seek treatment: there's nothing to be afraid of.
          I think there are still some ignorant people who don't understand mental issues and call people "nutjobs" and "whackcases", etc. Many mental problems are common, yes, there are still people who hide away in their homes and just avoid people because of unwanted symptoms that might make the average person judge them. I know of several people who isolate. The stigma isn't as bad as it used to be but I believe it is still there, unfortunately.

Comment

You're right there, Valeriesvoice. So many people have misconceptions about mental illness. What they don't realize is that anorexia and bulimia are also registered as psychiatric illnesses. Depression, Bi polar, schzophrenia: the list goes on. And these illnesses are very common, unfortunately. The charity MIND does highlight any mental illness. People try to hide away, but these illnesses are actually more common than many realize. I think we need to open our eyes and not look away.

Comment

Working...
            X