Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sleep disorder or anxiety?

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• Sleep disorder or anxiety?

Im sure I could bore you all about my history. I honestly don't even remember where my sleep problems started. I didn't even think I had a problem till my sibling mentioned she thinks she has a sleeping disorder. Maybe I don't have a problem and I'm just over thinking.
    It takes me hours to fall asleep at night. It's even worse when I know I have to be up early for something. If I have any agenda during the day I have a hard time sleeping.
    I can't stop thinking, generally not positive thoughts. I replay things from my day over and over. I also tend to replay any event from the past 300 years. Like seriously? I don't need to think about whether I should add salt to the asparagus tomorrow.
    If my husband stays up playing video games, I stay awake till he comes to bed. I feel like I anticipate him waking me up.
    It doesn't matter how tired I am, I still can't sleep.
    I do crash and burn after a few days. I feel like even at that point I have to force myself to sleep.
    Anyways, I've realized I have had a hard time falling asleep at night for a long as I can remember. But not sleeping for hours at night and only getting 2 to 5hours of sleep almost nightly has been going on for about 2 years now. It's 1000% gotten worse after having a baby.
    Im tired.
    Right now its 2am and I know my baby is going to get up in less then 5 hours. I kind of want her to wake up so I have something to do. (Wow, she actually woke up lol.)
    I've been trying and failing at eating healthy which isn't helping. I've been trying to increase exercise throughout the day as well.

What do you guys think?

• Why is it that us ladies are always "on guard" and anticipating the next move? I do the same thing. Last night my partner was at a rehearsal and I knew he'd be late getting in. It took me a long while to fall asleep, then I woke up twice between then and when got home to see if he had gotten home. Then I woke up when he got home despite him creeping like a mouse to be quiet. Then I woke up to thunder, knowing my dog would be scared. It's like even in our sleep, we feel so responsible for EVERYTHING.

If you can get into a consistent exercise routine (and you CAN), I think that will help you a lot. It certainly does me. Whether it's 5am when I have to get my workout in or right after work, I'm so tired by the time bedtime is near that I usually fall asleep easily. I don't recommend a late workout though.

I also recommend trying melatonin. You need to ingest it no more than 30 minutes before you intend to sleep. If you take it, but stay up doing things, it will do you no good. It isn't a magic pill...you've got to work with it for it to work.

CBD oil (not hemp oil) helps many people relax which also helps in falling asleep. A lot of what you're describing sounds like anxiety. But the question is, what is the cause of the anxiety? For me, hormonal times = increased anxiety. I also found out that an antihistamine I was taking daily for 9 years can contribute to anxiety and depression. I have since gone off that medicine and do think it has improved my anxiety levels.

You've got to set yourself up to succeed at this. And if all of that doesn't work, you'll have to speak to a doctor about it. While I don't recommend some sort of hardcore prescription sleep drug (that is just a bandaid) I do recommend finding a doctor who will help you get to the root of the issue (if there is one). Sleep is not just important, it's critical to a healthy life both mentally and physically. Make it a priority.
    "Be what you're looking for."

Comment

• I echo Ashlee's comments, and will add a few notes:

Regarding lifestyle, are you a SAHM, or holding an outside job as well? Do you also experience anxiety during your usual activities, and during waking hours? If you're not sure, try to think about that and decide how deeply anxiety has a hold on you.
      How much "true" stress do you carry daily? I realize being a momma, it's enough, but really think about the stress that is necessary, and the stress that we sort of create for ourselves. And I don't mean to diminish your struggles, or criticize you in any way, but this is a genuine issue for many of us.

Are you using caffeine? How much?

Regarding melatonin, read up about how our body naturally releases melatonin-the conditions we need for that hormone to enter circulation. We need dark, quiet, cool. Turn off screens as long before bedtime as possible. Turn down the thermostat.

I had to put up gawd-awful window coverings to bring about darkness in my room, and also discipline myself to allow the house, and myself, to be cooler at night. It helped. Shutting off electronics is much more challenging, but it works.

Finally, meditation. Try it!! It's hard-it's so much more difficult than it looks. But it works wonders on changing the path our minds take. I'm still learning, but the value it's added to my life has been amazing.

I had a super-stressful job for 14 years. Life/Death pressures, long shifts and I walked away from it 18 months ago. I'm a life-long insomniac, and it took me years to admit that I'm an anxiety-ridden work-a-holic. It's been a journey back to sanity, but my health took a front seat for a change, and sleep is a top priority.

So, I'm glad you're sharing, and looking for solutions. It truly will make you a better mom, and help prevent health issues, and just overall, improve your life, my dear!

Comment

• I second atskitty2'a post. I would certainly take her advice.

Congratulations on your little one, too!

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

• Reply to PTSD

Haha well that would be for you to decide...

08-17-2019, 10:12 PM By MrMr
        • Reply to PTSD

I am definitely cute, MrMr! I am sure you are, too!...

08-17-2019, 02:20 PM By Popcorn&Candy
        • 13 Music Classics I Love

What old time tracks do you check out on YouTube?

1. Nights Over Egypt - The Jones Girls
          2. Free - Deniece Williams
          3. Stay With...

08-17-2019, 02:17 PM By Popcorn&Candy
        • Reply to Do You Use Paypal?

Not great, but I had to change my Paypal password. This is because of other activity on my account. I shouldn't need to hope, but do hope it doesn't happen...

08-17-2019, 02:06 PM By Popcorn&Candy
        • Reply to Do You Consider Internet Work "Work"?

Unfortunately, I have no clue where to start with a podcast: I am sure everyone on here will be able to advise you.

Good luck! But I do think...

08-17-2019, 02:02 PM By Popcorn&Candy

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

• 13 Music Classics I Love

What old time tracks do you check out on YouTube?

1. Nights Over Egypt - The Jones Girls
          2. Free - Deniece Williams
          3. Stay With...

08-17-2019, 02:17 PM By Popcorn&Candy
        • Do You Use Paypal?

I do: it is handy and secures payments. I do a lot of work online and having Paypal is a godsend. I am not plugging Paypal, but do wonder if any of you...

08-07-2019, 03:00 AM By Popcorn&Candy
        • Mens jogging trousers - sweat pants

I have a grey pair of CK sweat pants that I generally lounge in. This morning I went to the gym and a guy in the locker room made a comment about my bulge...

08-16-2019, 02:28 AM By MrMr
        • How Do You Motivate Yourself?

My motivation has been dwindling these past few months. It is so, so hard to do ordinary things: like catching a bus, going to my social group. My mental...

08-11-2019, 01:32 PM By Popcorn&Candy
        • The Gray and Silver Hair Trend - It's Real, and It's Empowering - Discuss

Women of all ages are seen sporting various shades of silver and gray tresses or going gray gracefully, no matter the method or reasons. What do you think? Have you noticed the gray hair trend taking root? Are you a part ...

07-30-2019, 08:01 AM By Ashlee T.
        Working...
        X