Women's Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

bc and condoms vs just bc? risky?

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bc and condoms vs just bc? risky?

I've been in a relationship for an extended amount of time. Both clean of any STD's. I have been on birth control (taken each day at the right time) for a year and wonder the risk of getting pregnant if I stop using condoms on top of the birth control. Will the birth control be effective enough to prevent pregnancy every time?

• There is a risk with everything, but IMO you don't need anything more than the BC pill if that is what you are on. You should just relax and enjoy the feel of sex without that barrier between the two of you.

Comment

• I was on BC for years, until I developed a problem with clotting. Never used condoms, never got pregnant. Now this was in the 70s and 80s and the product was somewhat different, there seemed to be few side effects but the effectiveness should be the same.

Comment

• you could always try spermicidal film, I think the brand is VCF (you can get a free sample from their website)- someone on this board recommended that to me. But I'm with you about not wanting to take any risks, being over protected is better than the consequences that come with bc failure imo.

Comment

• i hate condoms lol
          x~There is a place you can touch a woman that will drive her crazy......Her heart!~x

x~the wench~x

Comment

• Birth control pills are 99% effective, and I believe the way they calculate that is to see what your changes are of getting pregnant, after a year, of having sex 4-5 times a week.

That 1% that is left over is usually due to taking the pills incorrectly.

I've also heard that if a woman gets very ill, the pill isn't as effective at that time.

So if I were you, I would lose the condom completely unless either a) you skip a pill or b) you get very sick.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fish View Post
              you could always try spermicidal film, I think the brand is VCF (you can get a free sample from their website)- someone on this board recommended that to me. But I'm with you about not wanting to take any risks, being over protected is better than the consequences that come with bc failure imo.
              Have you tried the film? I had never heard of it until my doctor recommended it to me last week.

Comment

• We had a poster on here who told of their experiences with the flim
                https://www.womens-health.com/boards...-micronor.html

I know there was another thread because it prompted me to look it up and I was concerned over the side effects. Like any product going into your body you should read up on it first.

Comment

• No I have not tried it yet because I have not had sex yet but I'm hoping to try it in the next couple of weeks. They send 3 free samples in the mail so it doesn't hurt to try. I have read that it makes some women more prone to infection though. I'll post my experience with it after I use them.

Comment

• awesome thanks guys. no more condoms sounds good to me!

Comment

• It's a whole nuther level. I'm betting you'll love it and so will he.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fish View Post
                        No I have not tried it yet because I have not had sex yet but I'm hoping to try it in the next couple of weeks. They send 3 free samples in the mail so it doesn't hurt to try. I have read that it makes some women more prone to infection though. I'll post my experience with it after I use them.
                        I would be willing to bet that the infections are coming from their hands not being super clean before using it.

Comment

• Film makes my insides swell up and irritated. I wouldn't actually have noticed until it resulted in infection if my boyfriend hadn't mentioned how hot it was. Then I realized things really weren't right in there and there was a bit of uncomfortable pressure. I can entirely see it causing infections if you have a reaction to it like I did. The symptoms of the reaction were few though and not that noticeable. How do you tell if normally very red, hot, squishy tissue becomes a bit more red, hot, and squishy?

There isn't much that's more effective than properly taken birth control pills/patches/etc... You do have to pay attention to other things you take. Antibiotics and certain other prescription medications (mine says seizure medications) can interfere. So long as you keep that in mind and take it every day at the same time you do not need to use anything else. Properly taken it's more effective than a condom, film, or most any barrier method.

Comment

or

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Activity On Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics On Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
                          X