Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help! I hate being on the BCP!

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• Help! I hate being on the BCP!

Hello everyone,

I'll try to keep this as brief as possible, but I have so much to say, so TIA for reading!

I have been on and off the BCP since I was 17 and I'm almost 31 now. When I was younger I never noticed any negative side effects, it helped regulate my period and keep PMS symptoms at bay, so I was happy with that. (I believe I was using a generic form of orthotricyclen). In my early 20's I didn't have health insurance so I went off the pill for a few years. Then got back on (seasonique) around age 26 for about 2 years. With that one I was always paranoid about being pregnant since you only had a period every 3 months. So when my Rx ran out, I never asked for more. So anyway, flash forward to right around my 29th birthday, my sex drive shot through the roof! I had always heard that women peak sexually around the age of 30, so I figured that was what was going on. Needless to say, my boyfriend was pleased and our sex life had never been better! We did talk about what was going on and I told him I had no idea, it just happened all the sudden. So then he brings up the fact that I hadnt been on the pill for 3-4 months... Ding ding ding! It was like a lightbulb went off in my head! Duh, I had always heard that BCP killed your libido but never even realized that it had killed mine. So we started having some deep convos about our relationship and sex life, and I realized that the whole time I was on the pill I literally did not care at all whether or not we EVER had sex. I never felt sexy or sexual, and I definitely never initiated sex. He tells me the reason he never brought it up was because he thought I wasn't attracted to him, or I hated having sex with him. (Btw, we had other relationship issues at the time, like an extreme lack of communication (obviously!)) So for about a year everything was cool, no BCP, lots of great sex, but then I started getting chronic BV and yeast infections. Also my period was very heavy and PMS made me a crazy person. I was regular to the point of knowing when I'd start my period down to the hour and I felt very " in tune " with my body. So at my next gyno appt I told my doctor about the infections, and that they seemed to go along with my cycle ( yeast infection right before period, BV flare up right after) and that the week before my period I was EXTREMELY over emotional (to the point of contemplating leaving my BF every single month, for no real reason) and she suggested that it was possibly all due to unbalanced hormones, so I should try the pill. I told her I was hesitant due to lack of sex drive, but she didn't seem to think it was a big deal. She prescribed me Junel, an antibiotic for the BV, and an anti fungal for the yeast infection. Well, I have been on the BCP now for 6 months, and guess what... Still having issues with the infections (doc says "We don't know why, but some women are more prone to these types of problems"), I have absolutely ZERO sex drive, my mood is flatlined (no extreme ups and downs, just feel "blah" all the time!), no appetite, headaches and dizziness every day. I would rather deal with mood swings and heavy bleeding than this. Even when my amazing, understanding, awesome BF tries to get me turned on with like 2 hours of foreplay, I'll feel "good to go" but be dry as the **** Sahara! It's so frustrating! So when I'm done with this pack, I'm not getting it refilled again. EVER. I'm also going to find a new gyno, one whose goal in life is not to prescribe the BCP to every single patient. I really don't understand.. I've been in a monogamous, committed relationship with my BF since high school (yep, he's been with me through it all!), we've had LOTS of unprotected sex (whenever I wasn't on the pill we used the 'pull and pray' method, irresponsible I know), I have never been pregnant, don't really want kids at this point but it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if I did get pregnant, and when I told my doctor all this she looked at me like I was insane and asked why I wasn't using BC... Well, I just told you.. She says "You NEED to be on the BCP" What is the deal? Is this some kind of conspiracy or something? Haha, I'm kidding.. kind of..

Anyway, I guess the point of this was just to vent, and to share my story in case anyone else out there is dealing with something similar. If there is anyone out there going through something like this, I would love to hear what you have to say! And if anybody has any advice, I'd love to hear that too!

• I think for most people there is a pill out there that works without the horrible side effects. Some people are just really sensitive and can't find the right one. It is not helped by doctors being morons over bcp. They have no idea which pills have what hormones and what levels. My life got messed up for 6 months and me gaining tons of weight because I asked for seasonique, was given lybrel, and when I asked was told it has the same hormones. Not even close! The dosage is way different. Seasonique works great for me and lybrel which is supposed to be so similar causes horrible problems. Even such tiny differences as that can make a pill not work for you. If you do want to try bcp I highly suggest you go find a comparison chart online and look up what was in the pills you did take and what you haven't tried that is quite different from those.

As for why doctors just keep handing out the pill... Again they are morons over bcp. Does this not get taught in medical school? Doctors all think bcp will solve every hormone problem and the side effects are no big deal. Part of it may be the fact not many go back and complain to their doctor. They just stop taking bcp so the process of hearing the result and trying to find a solution does not happen. Therefore with no reason to research further doctors remain morons about bcp.

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
    X