Women's Health Interactive Forums

  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Birth control methods?!

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Space-Traveller View Post
    I really like my diaphragm, because it sits firmly in there and I barely feel it, but apparently it shouldn't be used together with the male condom? Maybe spermicide, by whichever name it goes, is better to use jointly with a condom? What do you think about that gals?
    Space-Traveller - You can use a male condom together with your diaphragm. Because diaphragms don't prevent against STDs/STIs, using them together is recommended. If you are simply looking for backup birth control, you can also pair spermicide with a diaphragm or spermicide with a condom. Of course, it is best to run any of these ideas by your doctor before changing up your routine.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Abigail F. View Post

      Space-Traveller - You can use a male condom together with your diaphragm. Because diaphragms don't prevent against STDs/STIs, using them together is recommended. If you are simply looking for backup birth control, you can also pair spermicide with a diaphragm or spermicide with a condom. Of course, it is best to run any of these ideas by your doctor before changing up your routine.
      On the leaflet that was attatched to the diaphragm there are guidelines that you should use it with spermicide (that also came in the package) that also helps it stay in place better, and that it shouldn't be used with a condom.

      Hm, I don't have a routine, in the sense that I'm single. I've had a bad experience with condoms, it slid off, so I'd rather use an additional method of birth control with them, but I can't take hormones. My ex had a smaller than average penis, this is why I think the condom wiggled around. Maybe I worry without a need, but pregnancy scares are tough to deal with.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Space-Traveller View Post

        On the leaflet that was attatched to the diaphragm there are guidelines that you should use it with spermicide (that also came in the package) that also helps it stay in place better, and that it shouldn't be used with a condom.

        Hm, I don't have a routine, in the sense that I'm single. I've had a bad experience with condoms, it slid off, so I'd rather use an additional method of birth control with them, but I can't take hormones. My ex had a smaller than average penis, this is why I think the condom wiggled around. Maybe I worry without a need, but pregnancy scares are tough to deal with.
        Interesting - the information I have read is that, in general, diaphragms are compatible with both spermicides and condoms. The guidelines you're describing may be specific to that type of diaphragm. It may be worth looking into other types of diaphragms just in case.

        I don't blame you - pregnancy scares can be really stressful, so it makes sense to be extra cautious! Have you looked into getting a cooper IUD/Paragard? That's another non-hormonal birth control option.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Abigail F. View Post

          Interesting - the information I have read is that, in general, diaphragms are compatible with both spermicides and condoms. The guidelines you're describing may be specific to that type of diaphragm. It may be worth looking into other types of diaphragms just in case.

          I don't blame you - pregnancy scares can be really stressful, so it makes sense to be extra cautious! Have you looked into getting a cooper IUD/Paragard? That's another non-hormonal birth control option.
          Hm, I'll have to look into different diaphragms then.

          My periods are already impossibly painful despite taking strong painkillers and I can experience severe abdomen pain for unusual reasons, so I think the IUD is a bad idea for me. My doctor suggested the IUD Kyleena with the smallest dose of hormones, but I'm doubtful about anything being inside the uterus. It just seems it me like my uterus and ovaries are extremely sensitive to pain, nothing shows in medical exams and they still hurt an awful lot, because of periods, swelling and similar reasons.

          So I'm left with barrier methods, spermicides and maybe FAM.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Space-Traveller View Post

            Hm, I'll have to look into different diaphragms then.

            My periods are already impossibly painful despite taking strong painkillers and I can experience severe abdomen pain for unusual reasons, so I think the IUD is a bad idea for me. My doctor suggested the IUD Kyleena with the smallest dose of hormones, but I'm doubtful about anything being inside the uterus. It just seems it me like my uterus and ovaries are extremely sensitive to pain, nothing shows in medical exams and they still hurt an awful lot, because of periods, swelling and similar reasons.

            So I'm left with barrier methods, spermicides and maybe FAM.
            Let us know if you find any good alternatives!

            I am so sorry to hear that - I have struggled with painful periods, too, so I feel your pain (literally), at least to some extent.

            Have you talked to your doctor about NuvaRing? That could be another option!

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Abigail F. View Post

              Let us know if you find any good alternatives!

              I am so sorry to hear that - I have struggled with painful periods, too, so I feel your pain (literally), at least to some extent.

              Have you talked to your doctor about NuvaRing? That could be another option!
              Yes, I've talked about NuvaRing and it has too much hormoes too.

              *sigh* I hope there will be other alternatives in the future. Hormonal birth control could help with the period pain, irregular cycles and mood swings as well, so that's a shame to not be able to kill a few birds with one stone.

              So far, I'm gaining confidence in FAM, but I will need to ask my gynecologist how many days or hours you have to wait after ovulation. Mine has quite obvious signs, with temperature measurements, I can find it super accurately. It will suffice for me right now, because I won't hide that I'm not very sexually experienced and maybe I will be better at using condoms in the future, but I want to be at least a bit less stressed out now. Spermicides and diaphragm as a backup method can do the job too.

              For context, I have Caya diaphragm. I've read that it might be a problem that it doesn't have a fitted size, but it fits me fine.

              Comment

              or

              Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

              Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

              Latest Activity On Our Forums

              Collapse

              • Reply to purity culture

                Okay, let's just break this down. Sex is not to be confused with love. Sex is a mechanical act that can be performed in a variety of ways. This will just...

                Today, 08:34 AM By Claret
              • Reply to purity culture

                husband read her detailed journal about sex with boyfriend
                husband has tried to replicate it
                however, husband is not boyfriend & the excitement...

                Yesterday, 03:18 PM By amy40
              • Reply to purity culture

                So in the case of your TV show woman, she would not know what good sex is like with a man had she not had sex previous to marriage. If she has tried...

                Yesterday, 02:24 PM By EmptyNester
              • Reply to purity culture

                I still believe in waiting for marriage as there's something special about the first time being with your husband.....I'm teaching my kid to wait until...

                Yesterday, 01:32 PM By amy40
              • Husband wants sex but just lays there

                Hi I need some advice. My husband go through this a couple times during the week. He is so tired and exhausted from work and expects me to kiss on him...

                Yesterday, 10:44 AM By Wifey6900

              Latest Topics On Our Forums

              Collapse

              • Husband wants sex but just lays there

                Hi I need some advice. My husband go through this a couple times during the week. He is so tired and exhausted from work and expects me to kiss on him...

                Yesterday, 10:44 AM By Wifey6900
              • kid grew up

                my kid grew up too fast!
                husband & I are parents to a teen-8th grader
                I SO miss the young toddler years when we played all day- playdoh,...

                12-01-2022, 10:35 AM By amy40
              • purity culture

                Does anybody think that purity culture is a form of abuse? I was raised in a southern baptist home and grew up in purity culture. Thankfully I never fell...

                11-30-2022, 11:58 AM By victoriachan365
              • permanent hair removal

                Has anybody ever done electrolysis or laser hair removal? I'm looking for permanent hair removal for my brazilian area as soon as I have money. I'm sick...

                11-29-2022, 08:27 PM By victoriachan365
              • antimarriage and kids

                I was wondering if anybody else can relate? Me and my boyfriend have been together for 2 years and do not desire marriage or kids. Growing up in a fundamentalist...

                11-29-2022, 08:20 PM By victoriachan365
              Working...
              X