Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

After period- skipped pill?

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• After period- skipped pill?

I am taking Generiss FE (spelling?). I started the sugar pills last Wednesday, started my period Friday, and was supposed to start taking my pill again Sunday (yesterday). I realized when I called the rx in that I was out of refills. I called my gyno today and asked for a refill. I also talked to the pharmacy and they said my rx won't be filled until tomorrow afternoon. My question is, since I'm on my period right now, will starting my pill 2 almost 3 days late mess me up? How will this effect pregnancy rate if I have sex?

• Incorrect use of birth control pills is a major reason for unintended pregnancies. Birth control pills work best if taken according to schedule and at the same time each day. If you miss one or more pills, you increase your chances of releasing an egg (ovulation) that could be fertilized and lead to a pregnancy.

The incidence of pill failure resulting in a pregnancy is roughly 1-2% per year (1 to 2 pregnancies per 100 women) if taken every day as directed, but the average failure rate is approximately 5% per year (5 pregnancies per 100 women per year of use) including women who do not always take the pill exactly as directed without missing any pills.

Your chances for getting pregnant depend upon when you missed your pill during your cycle, the number of pills you missed in a row, and if you had unprotected sex around the time of missed your pill(s).

The highest risk of ovulation occurs when the hormone-free interval (the time when inactive pills are taken or there is a break between active pills) is prolonged for than seven days. This can occur by either delaying the start of your birth control pack or by missing active pills during the first or third weeks of birth control pill use.

What action you take when you have missed taking one or more pills depends upon what type of birth control pill you use. You should review the specific patient package insert that accompanies your birth control pill pack and contact your healthcare provider for the most specific instructions on what to do if you miss one or more birth control pills.

If you are confused at any time about what to do if you have missed any birth control pills, either abstain from sex or use a back-up method of birth control each time you have sex, and take your birth control pill each day until you can talk to your health care provider.

The following general guidelines may be consulted if you miss pills while using the traditional 21- or 28-day combined hormonal birth control pills, progestin-only (“mini”) pills, extended-cycle birth control pills or the continuous-cycle birth control pill (Lybrel). If you have missed a pill and had unprotected sex, there is still a chance you could become pregnant even if you follow these instructions exactly.
    When out driving always turn left. Then, should you become lost, you can find your way home by reversing the procedure and always turning right.

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
    X