Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Polycystic ovaries and high prolactin, what to do?

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• Polycystic ovaries and high prolactin, what to do?

I'm a 21 female, normal weight, usually super healthy.

I originally saw the doctor for severe and persistent abdominal bloating/distention,
    after many tests and ultrasounds I have found out that I have polycystic cysts on both ovaries...
    However I am very healthy and normal in all other respects, the only imbalance in my blood tests was for high prolactin.
    Therefore I believe I do not have polycystic ovarian syndrome (testosterone and other hormone levels are normal)

I am currently on a contraceptive pill to solve my consistently irregular cycle, this is one of many pills that I have tried due to horrible side effects (fainting, migraine with aura, irregular cycles). I have been on this particular pill 'Noriday' for just under 3 months (and 9 months prior to this was on a different brand of same thing) and both stopped me from having periods all together.... aka I haven't had my period for at least a year.

Could my symptoms be due to this pill and should I go off it?
    if so what alternatives will help?
    Or should I wait longer to see if my symptoms reside with Noriday...

My doctor has seen me so many times and doesn't answer many of my questions... he is always in a hurry.
    I am very confused and just want to be normal and healthy again....

• First and foremost, find a new doctor. Women's health issues ARE important and if he can't take the time to be interested in your health, then he doesn't need to have you as a patient. There are many good doctors out there. Ask around to other women and find someone others recommend.

I did not have good luck on birth control. I was on it for nearly 10 years and switched pills often. Quite simply, my body just didn't like it. I was irritable for 3 weeks out of every month, bloated, spotty at times, sometimes no period at all, lost a lot of hair, bad complexion, no sex drive, etc. When I was on a pill that stopped my periods, I was bloated ALL the time and constantly felt like I "might" start my period, but never did.

I read "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" and decided to go off the pill and begin charting my cycles as the book teaches. 6-7 years later, I have not been on the pill since. My periods are more "normal" than they've ever been. Yes, I have cramping when I first start. Yes, my day 1 and 2 are sometimes very heavy. But that's NORMAL. It's things like the pill that give us a false perception of what our bodies should do. Going off the pill made me feel better than I could've even imagined.

BUT, it does require diligence and extra precautions to avoid pregnancy.
    "Be what you're looking for."

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
    X