Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Diane 35 or other high hormone bc - advice requested

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• Diane 35 or other high hormone bc - advice requested

Ok, I would really love some advice, especially from health professionals, but anyone with experience and knowledge please!

I am considering going (back) on a high hormone birth control pill, like Diane-35. My reason for considering taking high hormone BC is different from most. In fact, I was successfully using the rhythm method for some time, so pregnancy is not really my worry (although I don't want to get pregnant and it is nice not to have to think about that).

I have a progressive skin condition called hidradenitis suppurativa. Basically it is occasional but extremely painful boils in very sensitive places (groin, underarm). Ick... I know. I have not tolerated the other recommended treatments for this disorder well at all. The disorder is linked to excessive androgens so high estrogen birth control can help control it. I was on Diane 35 for about 3 months and during this time I didn't have any HS outbreaks. I actually really liked being on it for lots of reasons. Then I had an ocular migraine, and went to emergency to make sure it wasn't a mini stroke (transient ischemic attack in medical speak). The doctor was quite sure it was not a tia but recommended I go off Diane 35 because the ocular migraine was understood as a sign I may be at increased risk of stroke if I continued the medication.

Now, some possible significant factors: I had just started taking Diane 35 without a break. I only did this for a month or two but if I were to go back on it I would certainly take a break for a period (or more accurately break-through-bleed). I am over 35. Actually I just turned 39. I am in pretty good health otherwise, but my grandmother did have a severe stroke (although that was in her late seventies). I don't smoke but did many years ago. My gynaecologist recently (in the past three months) put me on a low hormone BC in hopes that evening out my hormones would do the trick; but it didn't work. I just had the worst and most debilitating HS outbreak yet. I am tolerating the Lolo (low hormone BC) pretty well, although I did notice my right arm was numb a couple of times - though this could have just been the way I was sitting.

So, this is the thing, I am considering going back on Diane 35 or another high hormone BC to control the HS. My gynaecologist won't give me advice (probably because she is afraid she will give me the wrong advice and my family will sue her - fair enough). She did say there are varying opinions among gynaecologists as to whether high hormone BC is safe for a woman of my age with a history of a single ocular migraine: some say "go for it", others "no way". My family doctor seems to think it would be an acceptable risk. My dermatologist strongly cautioned against it: quote, "you could have a stroke!" This conflicting information is confusing.

I could handle the odd migraine, but of course, I **really** don't want a stroke or even a tia. I've largely exhausted the other treatments for HS and it is getting quite debilitating when it occurs, although going on a constant low dose of an antibiotic is an option.

Sorry so long. Any advice would be greatly appreciated and questions are welcome.

~Emmie

• What treatments have you tried unsuccessfully?

Have you explored "alternative" treatment?
    Have you tried an elimination diet? It could reveal possible control for symptoms? There's a lot to be achieved through diet, and it's worth exploring.

If your doc won't share their opinion due to fear of lawsuits, get another doc. That's the job you pay them for, to share their medical opinion, share treatment options, and risks involved. Of course a doc won't tell you absolutely to do something, but they should be willing to throw a hat in the ring here. Honest, thorough communication is important in a practitioner.

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
    X