Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Going off birth control

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• Going off birth control

Hi everyone. I'm 17 and need a second opinion on getting off the pill. I got my period when I was around 11-12 and I never had any problems with it until a bit less than a year ago. My period started being very irregular for the first time, I got it every second month or so and then i barely got it all during the beginning of summer(I just had some spotting). Then, in July, I got it 3 times in one month and I was in a lot of pain. So, I went to the doctor to check my ovaries and hormone levels and they told me I had hormonal imabalance, and my doctor suggested I start taking birth control for at least 6 months(He specifically told me to take Yaz so that's what I'm using). Everything was great at the beginning, I felt much better because I was no longer having trouble with my period. I also had quite bad acne on my face and my back before, which always made me feel extremely insecure, but it got soo much better after I started taking birth control. However, I feel like I've started gaining weight and it's making me feel worse than ever. I've never been like extremely slim, I've always had wider hips and a tinier waist but I was fine with it before since I didn't feel heavy, but now I do.
    So, I want to ask, how easy is it to lose weight while you're on birth control? I'd go off it now since the 6 month period my doctor recommended is over but I really don't want to break out again, and I can't decide if feeling heavier or having acne is going to be easier for me. I don't eat a lot at all but I don't really exercise either. I'm going to start exercising whether I'm going off the pill or not, but would it be better to deal with the acne for a while and possibly make things easier regarding the weight-loss or try it while I'm still on the pill. It's really affecting me and the way I see myself badly overall and I don't want to make the wrong choice now.

• I'm not a fan of hormonal birth control. You can attempt to control the acne through diet and other means, and as you're 17, it's likely to resolve in the next few years anyway.

Hormones will likely shift from time to time through out your life. Personally, I think it's better to ride out the difficulty and manage our health as naturally as possible, through diet, exercise and good mental health.

I'm going through menopause, and have managed so far without taking meds to manage symptoms. It's best to let the body do it's thing, keep it healthy and it will be its best.

Best of luck Dear

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

• Very light brown discharge

Hello all, I had very light brown discharge yesterday that did not last very long and hasn't happened since. My period should be starting any day now,...

Today, 10:41 AM By Emit
    • Reply to Hoo hot for sex?

Refresh my memory Muffin, how old are you and your wife? It can get pretty hot in the summer in Canada and where I live humidity can be a killer as well,...

Today, 07:26 AM By Claret
    • Reply to How to gain weight fast?

Hi,
      Try some fatty foods eat burgers, pizzas etc. Consume carbs as much as you can. Else if you want to take any supplement take double XXL gainer...

Today, 04:24 AM By paulgonzales86
    • Hoo hot for sex?

It is nearing the end of summer here in New Zealand and it has been a pretty hot summer – especially in the evenings / overnight…. Wife & I have...

Yesterday, 06:29 PM By muffin70
    • Reply to Have You Ever Let A Guy Cum Inside You? Do You Want To? – Discuss

CapeCRunner - Were you posting here back when kiddo #1 was born? For some reason I feel that I remember when you became pregnant for the first time. Anyway,...

Yesterday, 05:59 PM By Ashlee T.

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
    X