Women's Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

hair loss

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hair loss

has your hair started to thin some?
    could it be low thyroid?

• Most likely due to lack of iodine or calcium, as iodine is washed out with it and gets into the body with vitamin D. I tried to study the hormones that affect the thyroid gland and vice versa on the hair. I can say for sure that the growth in unwanted places is due to increased testosterone and constant disruption of the endocrine system. So it's all individual.
    Last edited by Laura V.; 05-11-2022, 09:49 AM. Reason: External links not allowed

Comment

• It could be low thyroid hormone, definitely. I've dealt with autoimmune thyroid disease for several years now (Hashimotos) and I have noticed more (or less) hair loss depending on how the balance is being maintained with my levothyroxine dose.

I've also found that it improves when I remember to take a vitamin D supplement regularly. I admit to being terrible about this sometimes, so I really do try to stick with it.

But in the past when I've had bloodwork done, my vitamin D levels were practically nonexistent (severely deficient). From the studies I've read, they're not sure if thyroid issues worsen vitamin D absorption or if a lack of vitamin D worsens thyroid issues. They are related, but the connection is unclear. In my case, the supplement really helps when my hair starts thinning. (And man, sometimes it REALLY thins... right now I seem to be on an upswing; lots of baby hairs growing back in LOL)

Have you had your thyroid levels tested recently?

Comment

• Alison H. & dinaywhat...thanks for info

been trying to get a Dr
        only one Dr accepting pts where husband goes
        I wait & wait to hear from them

I started vitamins

Comment

• Have you had Covid?
          Stress?
          Aging
          Thyroid, as mentioned above, or other hormone issues
          Nutritional deficiency

Getting a good physical and some labwork would be a good idea.

Comment

• no covid since husband, kid, and I wear masks/social distance/avoid people

yes on stress!

Comment

• Yep, I'd get in to see a doctor for an exam and consider some labwork.
              If you can't get in to see a physician right away, try one of the free-standing clinics that are available in some grocery stores, like Kroger, or CVS/Walgreens, etc. They are staffed with a CNP, but you can at least get a quality physical exam and some labwork ordered with them. Then, you have some answers a little quicker, and can follow-up with a physician if there's anything significant going on. Just a thought - it's an option.

Comment

• Originally posted by atskitty2 View Post
                Yep, I'd get in to see a doctor for an exam and consider some labwork.
                expanded my Dr search

finally found a Dr to accept me as a patient
                will need to drive over an hour to office
                I took first available appt, eight months from now!

Comment

• Hairloss comes and goes for me. I have good periods when I can even see my hair regenerating and growing nicely. And then the loss comes. I have PCOS so I guess this is probably a hormonal fluctuation, hair loss is a pretty common symptom of PCOS. Even though at the moment my hormones are fairly stable, I suppose you don't need much of an imbalance for the hair loss to begin. Especially in times of high stress.

Comment

• Oh man…I’m having crazy hair loss these days, starting about a year ago. My doc says stress is a key factor, but I also started taking vitamin D since COVID fears keep me at home a lot.
                    I really hate it. It just makes me feel self-conscious and ugly—which is the part I’d most like to get over. I’m sort of a hat person now.

Comment

or

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Activity On Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics On Our Forums

Collapse

• Sore on clitoral hood

Hi, im pregnant and for the last week my vulva has been extremely sore especially in the clit area. i have been keeping an eye on it and it seems like...

08-11-2022, 10:38 AM By annom1307
                    • Do you fantasize about being with someone of a different race?

I am a black woman and live in South Africa. Because of the history of racial segregation it is very very rare to see a mixed couple. So much so that...

08-11-2022, 05:32 AM By G-Wagon
                    • Need advice about not feeling sensation or pleasure

I'm a 39 Male and my fiancé is 40. when we have sex I barely feel any sensation or pleasure. She is also on birth control the patch. We don't use condoms...

08-09-2022, 11:13 AM By netzone23
                    • Why cant i see or Feel my clitoris anymore?

Two weeks ago I woke up to a clitoris thay literally felt numb and it felt like it was gone. I touched the nub and there was no good sensation.

08-08-2022, 09:33 AM By Sofa
                    • NFP classes

for those interested in NFP classes (natural family planning), there is a search site to help one find classes near where you live
                      I put in my zipcode...

08-08-2022, 03:58 AM By amy40
                    Working...
                    X